With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

new cvar and game behaviour

Postby Joe Kari » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:28 am

Hi,

I have implemented my new money system, that can be activated by cvar. Set g_moneyRespawn to 1 to have it work. With that setting, you will respawn with at least 20$ + one quarter of your current money (the current system give you at least 20$). And if you kill a mate, you will loose your 14$ as usual, but this money will not be lost for everyone: your poor victim will get it (of course if you have at least 14$, if not, you will give all your remaining money to him). IMHO, it is more interesting now.

I have added another cvar named "br_teamrole" that affect Bank Robbery
0: (default value) doesn't change anything (winner will be defender next round).
1: inverse the usual: the winner will be robber next round
2: Outlaws are always robbers, regardless of who won the last round
3: Lawmen are always robbers, regardless of who won the last round

The mode 2 or 3 are interesting in single player, if you want to play mass AI defending the bank, again and again.

Another little change: now you don't get that boring "timelimit hit" during a round (RTP and BR), the game wait the end of the round (except if timelimit occur before the 15th second of the round).
Another one: in BR, timeout (round timeout) give one point to defender, because in fact, they have really defended the bank. And it prevents from camping abuse. One of the two teams are forced to move or will loose a point.

Hmmm, and I have raised the limit of 5Ko for the tex file to 10Ko (but for instance, I haven't tested if this allow us to really use more shaders).

I will implement soon my new shotgun pattern (again, only effective through cvar).
Last edited by Joe Kari on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:21 am

Sounds interesting. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:21 am

Mode 4 for br_teamrole, that swap role of robbers and defender at every round regardless of who won has been added.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:26 pm

Updated the sources with my new shotgun pattern (you should set g_newShotgunPattern to 1), it produces more uniform pattern, with an homogenous radial density, and less randomness, and circular spread (the current is square). And it looks much better and realistic too ;)
Oh and I have injected some correction into the formula to give just the same feeling than the old one, meaning no change in the gameplay, except less randomness (the mathematical average distribution is the same than in the old pattern, so shotgun are just as effective than before, no more no less).

EDIT: those variable's name are now in camelCase.
Last edited by Joe Kari on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Breli » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:15 pm

Cool stuff Joe 8)

However, I am a bit afraid conerning overpowering the shotguns. They are already very, very deadly (particularly in relation to rifles). Doesn't the new pattern increase accuracy? If so, I would suggest to reduce it a bit.

Fooling around with the weapon balance is quite difficult. We had endless, inconclusive discussions about that in the past.

Breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:10 pm

Sound changes still breaking it.. though as before I just replace with older versions. The other changes broke it completely, regardless of the qvm it won't start from a new binary based on the current code though it successfully compiles.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:31 am

@ Breli:
It doesn't overpower anything, there are not more accurate ;) The average spread doesn't change, just the distribution. I can ensure you that it is mathematically the same than the current concerning accuracy. And BTW the g_newShotgunPattern is set to 0 by default.

However, I will probably one day update all spread for all weapon to something like that: round spread that are radial homogenous. (for intance if you shoot at a wall with akimbo pistols without moving the mouse, you will see that your decals forms a square)
Last edited by Joe Kari on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:01 pm

Torhu says he fixed the vc bug introduced post ~r58, so I'll work with him on it soon. Not sure if the sound declarations were fixed, need to be, but there's many of them, mostly snd_dma.c I believe causing the problems.
sparcdr
SG Team

Re: new cvar and game behaviour

Postby Pardner » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:15 pm

Joe Kari wrote:0: (default value) doesn't change anything (winner will be defender next round).
1: inverse the usual: the winner will be robber next round
2: Outlaws are always robbers, regardless of who won the last round
3: Lawmen are always robbers, regardless of who won the last round

Joe, this is the kinda modifications I really like to see. This cvar allows for SG to behave just like WQ3, but if the server admin can mix it up if they wish too. more modifications like this will make each server a little bit different. :D

Pardner
SG Team

Postby mugenmidget » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:59 pm

Joe Kari wrote:Mode 4 for br_teamrole, that swap role of robbers and defender at every round regardless of who won has been added.
That sounds like fun (especially on one-sided maps), and so does everything else! Thanks for the awesome additions.
mugenmidget
Drifter

Postby Joe Kari » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:44 pm

Few little change with SVN rev133:
- collecting an ammo belt give you full ammo for all weapon, just like when you buy it. Breli will be happy with that ;) And I will not have to avoid the ammo belt in Newtown and Dawnfort anymore :lol:
- in BR or RTP: you can no longer move or shoot until the countdown has ended. It will prevent people killing a teammate at the begining of the round because they were fighting someone just before the round start. And give you 3 seconds to buy item without wasting time. Really usefull on small BR map like Hang'em High, or Durango.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Breli » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:47 pm

Joe Kari wrote:Breli will be happy with that ;)

That I live to see the day this nasty little design flaw gets fixed :D

Thanks a lot my good friend! :mrgreen:

Cheers

Breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Every weapon has two sides

Postby gnaag » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:45 am

hi, I have got this idea, since I got used to switching to knife when I want to break the window in the game. (because of ammo saving). It would be wonderful, if it can be possible to use the rear part of long weapons (maybe also the short ones) to hit. The weapons are rather heavy and it can be useful not just by breaking the windows, but also to attack on the short distance.

No more problems to switch to knife in hurry. You just hits your enemy with the wooden part of weapon. Of course, that it would not take so much life as the knife does, but it can be interesting. And another of course, machine gun, dynamite... are not shaped to be used this way, but molotov can be very interesting. Hit and the shot to make something burning...
gnaag
Newcomer

Postby Tequila » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:17 am

Very interesting ideas
;)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:44 am

Unfortunately, these wonderfull ideas require a model animator. :(
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Next