With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

Win32 compilation against OpenAL fixed

Postby Tequila » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:21 am

As the subject is saying...
But now the engine is failing with "VM_Call with NULL vm" error... I still don't know if that's last Joe updates which may had break something or just me with my testing case, or also the update of Visual Studio I made after the building was working... =( Will have to retry on r90, the one I really got working.
Too tired to fix that now... Maybe someone else will be more lucky ;)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:03 pm

I don't think I have break anything, I haven't touch the engine code for instance, and haven't done anything special with qvm (no low-level code).
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:28 pm

Yep you don't break anything ;) Linux build is still working perfectly...
That's surely my windows that is broken somewhere... or maybe just my fault :D :|

Btw can you try the build by yourself ? What you have to do is :
1. Install Visual Studio C++ from the online site
2. Install the DirectX SDK
3. Install the OpenAL SDK and the retail DLL
4. Start visual studio, open "smokinguns" solution file (in the trunk/code folder) and press F7 to build it... Maybe you will have to adapt few paths... but just ask here this thread can help other people to try the windows build.

Anyway, Torhu ? Sparcdr ? have you tried the r98 build ?
;)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:39 am

Not to be too late but between r100-r120 it started working again more or less. There's OpenAL issues (As usual) with symbols, though I can't put my finger on it just yet. Will try to change a few debug settings (Seems to fix things) and report what revision I get to build off the tree. I'm maintaining noal and optimized builds as well as debug right now. If anyone wants to test them, they can pm me. Ed, Lethal and Chico as well as a few random people on TS2 have tried my builds (ioq3) out with fairly good success versus the SA.
sparcdr
SG Team

Re: Win32 compilation against OpenAL fixed

Postby Allied » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:00 pm

Tequila wrote:As the subject is saying...
But now the engine is failing with "VM_Call with NULL vm" error... I still don't know if that's last Joe updates which may had break something or just me with my testing case, or also the update of Visual Studio I made after the building was working... =( Will have to retry on r90, the one I really got working.
Too tired to fix that now... Maybe someone else will be more lucky ;)

I'm sorry to bring up an old topic again, but did you find a definite fix for this? I get this error with any build that isn't exactly 1.12MB in size. The cause seems to be when it compiles something other than quake3. The "fix" I found was to Rebuild the entire project in Debug mode, it fails on quake3 and cgame. Then switch to Release and Build quake3. It builds quake3 and splines and all works well.
Allied
Quick Draw

Postby sparcdr » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:34 pm

Don't remember, it should be in SVN logs, but I can't remember if it was or wasn't related top OpenAL, I do however believe moreso it isn't.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Allied » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:46 pm

sparcdr wrote:Don't remember, it should be in SVN logs, but I can't remember if it was or wasn't related top OpenAL, I do however believe moreso it isn't.

I'm building the 1.0 sources, so it can't be OpenAL related.
Allied
Quick Draw

Return to Code

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel