With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Btw, I'd just like to say that since my maps are available on the ftp anyone on the dev team is welcome to experiment & make performance improvements if they wish to. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:44 pm

I have just performed few tests, it appears that a bsp split (caused by either a block or a hintbrush) can cross an areaportal freely without any trouble.

Anyway, Steamboat have a size of 3520x25280x1152, if you set blocksize to 512, you have 7x50x3=1050 blocks !!!
The playable size of the map is 896x3264x448, so you have only 2x7x1=14 blocks used. 14/1152= less than 2%. So 98% of clusters created by block-split are useless.

You are not forced to trust me, but if one day you have some free time, just compile it with a blocksize of 8192, just to compare both version performance. I'm pretty sure you will get the same framerate, you have enough hint-brushes in your map.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:14 am

Joe Kari wrote:You are not forced to trust me

But I do trust you. You know more about level editing than I do by now. :wink:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Sat May 23, 2009 3:51 am

Then this bug is just fixed in 1.1 branch r227. :P

In SteamBoat, there's a lot of door which returns after a moment to their original closed position. The movement is in fact coded in the a currentAngle vector with 3 floats. The closed position should be 0 degree, but in binary mod, there's bad rouding somewhere which involves an angle like 0.00008 degree... In that case, the door is not really closed for the world engine and areaportal are still connected (or something like that). Then the error is triggered as the game asks to disconnect bad area portals as the engine is then confused. That's approximatively what it happens...

The fix is only rounding angle to integer which involves less accurate movement but if anyone is able to see the difference I would agree to offer him some tequila shots :D

Btw I'm not sure areaportals are well defined as you can find a position in some door where you can see other part of the map in spectator mode. Like in that screenshot:
[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/1560_shot0033_1.jpg][timg]1560_shot0033_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]
The gap is very short, but I think we should not see that but directly the area behind the door.
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Previous

Return to Code

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel