With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

MAC candidate

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed May 06, 2009 12:54 am

Copied from another section of the forum. Original post by sparcdr.

I wanted to make all aware that I have a workable release candidate for Mac users. If you've already downloaded the generic package, you may download the skeleton bundle from:
*Sorry - link removed*

If you do not have Smokin' Guns and only have a Mac, or don't mind setting side additional space get it from:
*Sorry - link removed*

* Note: this is a release candidate not a final version, but should be advertised as being supported and may be mirrored. It is based on SVN revision 216 (Committed fixed matched in 218) of the 1.1 branch and not the 1.0 branch. The content is identical to the contents of the generic zip, minus the png and exe, with pk3 files from baseq3 and smokinguns directories merged into
Code: Select all
Smokin' Guns.app/Contents/MacOS/smokinguns
as required due to layout needs.

I only note three bugs (Two caused by code) being:

Resolution is off because most modern Mac systems have 16:9 or 16:10 widescreen. Make sure you've launched Smokin' Guns at least once, and change in
/Users/myuser/Library/Application Support/SmokinGuns/smokinguns/q3config.cfg
(Edit with TextEdit, TextMate, BBEdit, etc.) as noted at viewtopic.php?t=669. It should override what's specified in the master .cfg files (Which copy themselves so you can change settings to the above Users directory)

On occasion you may get a q3console warning about buffering the sound stream, but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

The other issue, pretty minor, is botlib.log shows up in /Applications for some reason.

If you use the skeleton app bundle, you will need to copy .pk3 files from the generic zip or a previous 1.0 installation into the above noted directory, which is accessible by performing a ctrl + click on the Smokin' Guns bundle extracted from the skeleton zip and navigate into
Contents/MacOS/smokinguns
moving or copying the pk3 files there.

To make sure you're running widescreen, drop down the console and page-up to the top.

Have a good May!
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Jestersage » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:26 am

I know there's not much response, so I will say: it works very nice. Thanks!
Jestersage
Newcomer

Postby sparcdr » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:37 am

You are certainly welcome.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby andreas.wah » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:24 am

Oh. I had no idea this was available. The link was dead, but I removed RC1 from the adress, and it found a file called Smokin_Guns_1.0.dmg!
Takes forever to download so I can't finish it tonight though.

How come it's not posted in the downloads section?
andreas.wah
Newcomer

Postby sparcdr » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:36 am

Not sure why not. The link is in Key Largo, FL (An island) it needs more mirrors, hence the data rate cap, sorry.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:24 am

When our new ftp is set up, I'll have to see about getting a mirror going for this. In the meantime, maybe Tequila could mirror it?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:48 am

Since in 2010 I don't see it mirrored, even on the main downloads section, I'd like to see Huge Laser host it if you'd be much obliged to ask. (Or do yourself)
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Jack Stewart » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:25 pm

Neither of the links work for me. Where can I get the file for Mac?
Jack Stewart
Newcomer

Postby sparcdr » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:43 pm

From here

Updated binaries come from here

Open disk image and drag into Applications, right click Show Contents, navigate into Contents/MacOS, extract zip archive and move two .ub files over the top of the old ones to update to current executable.

This is not beta4, but that's as easy, you extract and ignore all folders except smokinguns inside, move the .pk3 and .cfg files into (Replacing) Contents/MacOS/smokinguns in the Smokin' Guns.app bundle.

Last edited by sparcdr on Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Jack Stewart » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:37 am

That might help because every time I try to do what you said the application won't start while giving the explanation "You can't open the application Smokin' Guns because it may be damaged or incomplete."

Ooops
Jack Stewart
Newcomer

Postby sparcdr » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:28 am

If that's the case, try using the binaries from my mirror under downloads/binaries/current/mac when I get it back up, or install XCode 3.1+ and build the engine from source (r531) using ./make-macosx-ub.sh, copying the resultant .ub files from build/ into Contents/MacOS of the .app bundle itself.

I may had only supported 10.5+ with "1.0" (Really 1.1 aka ~r442) of the (Intel) Mac version. I remember vaguely using a 10.4 machine remotely for the PPC side later on since there's linker issues with the cross-compiler on 10.6 hosts, so I prefer now to build the binaries on each host and use lipo to join them. I can't support before 10.4, regardless, and can't test on 10.4 or 10.5 since I only have one machine.

Currently I need to fix my server since it was just updated to FreeBSD 8.1 and am having issues with FCGI. A ZFS rollback knocked out the above images, sorry about that.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby klisiu » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:43 pm

If you have any trouble with downloading dmg file from here (in my case I had 100% file download, however download was not ending) you can try to download it via wget in command line (I tested it on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and it works fine).

1. Install homebrew (https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/wiki/installation),
2. Open your terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal or Command+space and look for terminal)
3. Type: brew install wget
4. Proceed the installation process
5. Open new tab of terminal (cmd+t)
6. Type: wget
ftp://download:download@download.hugelaser.com/smokin-guns.net/mac_version/Smokin_Guns_1.0.dmg
7. Wait until download completes and run dmg file.

Much shorter solution has been provided by sparcdr below.
Last edited by klisiu on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FAIL Clan - because we've got fails in common.
klisiu
Drifter

Postby sparcdr » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:21 pm

No need for external software, OSX comes with Curl.

cd Downloads && curl -LO ftp://download:download@download.hugelaser.com/smokin-guns.net/mac_version/Smokin_Guns_1.0.dmg
sparcdr
SG Team

Return to Code

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel