With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

Ideas For A Better Game.

Postby CainCruz » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:10 pm

Ive only been playing smokin guns for a little while, and Ive noticed some cool features that could be added or addressed. First however I just wanted to ask why the MAC servers are different then the WIN and LINUX servers...I feel lonley when Im on my MAC and I only have a crossover demo.

Secondly I wanted to expose an array of 19th Century weaponry that could be scripted......idk.http://www.19thcenturyweapons.com/europagecart.html

Next the idea for an instant replay after certain kills seems to be a popular want among players, but if this is added there would need to be a player controled frequency setting..or if possible...an "owned" save option

Lastly customized avatars are important to me, simply because I want to play as a black guy.

That is All Thanks for your time

L
CainCruz
Newcomer

Postby /dev/random » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:41 pm

I don't have Mac, so I can't tell the differences. What's different with the dedicated server?

There's a typo in the URL; http://www.19thcenturyweapons.com/europagecart.html
To create new weapons, one'd need to model, texture and code them. Are they meant to replace existing ones or as an addition? There are already plenty weapons in the game.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "instant owned replay". Death cams? Automated demo-recording?

For more player models, it's the same as for weapons. They need to be modeled and textured. There are currently no volunteers for that, maybe try on your own :)
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Pardner » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:52 pm

The game currently has a "demo record" option. I suggest putting this in your q3config.cfg:

Code: Select all
bind F12 "vstr mkdemo"
seta stdemo "stoprecord; bind F12 vstr mkdemo"
seta mkdemo "g_synchronousClients 1; record; g_synchronousClients 0; bind F12 vstr stdemo"

Just press F12 to toggle the demo recorder on and off. It will save it as a Q3 demo file which you can view from the main menu. I think the IoQ3 engine allows for a direct export to AVI. That is in beta and will be available in the next release. I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction if you want to download the source and compile your own binaries, or maybe someone has some MAC ones already.
Last edited by Pardner on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Lucky Bro » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:43 pm

Next the idea for an instant replay after certain kills seems to be a popular want among players, but if this is added there would need to be a player controled frequency setting..or if possible...an "owned" save option

Like in football, right?
That will be really cool. What I can propose - there is already deathcam and you may see own player model death animation from 3rd person when its dying. So, basically you want to add slow motion and blur if I get your idea right.
That is more cinematic thing. Like post processing demos you've recorded. But it is possible to do in real time as well. But I have to disappoint you - there is a lot of ideas like this one around to be implemented and no one in charge for them. And concerning this one I have to say that it will be really odd thing to do at the moment.

Concerning any models/textures in the game - are you an artist?
Current models are old, strange-licensed things. I think there is no one who doesn't want to replace them. Again, no one wants/able to do it, so if you have any talent - say about it.
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby TanteTrude » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:16 am

I think with a "death-cam" he means a kill-cam like in COD4. There you see your death from the opponents view. You can see where the opponent was when you were killed. Its not so good for campers :D but a good thing to expose wallhackers for example. I am sure, with such a cam i could have seen one or two guys shooting trough a wall :?
TanteTrude
Drifter

Postby Sucalakafufu » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:27 am

TanteTrude wrote:I am sure, with such a cam i could have seen one or two guys shooting trough a wall :?

hehe but i often do this the legit way :|
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby TanteTrude » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:53 pm

oh yes - i forgot - in durango (for example) its possible to do it the legal way hehe :D
TanteTrude
Drifter

Return to Code

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel