With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

Add teamnames to code and give server admins control

yes,
36%
no, not needed
64%

Total votes : 14

Postby moRtem » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:31 pm

Allied wrote:I've played on servers in Urban Terror where this is implemented, and it's frightfully annoying. It's just too easy to forget or not notice what happened, even though it is easier in BR than TDM like UT usually is. Not only is it a mild punishment on the TKed because he now has to take action to prevent a miskick, but it would allow easy kicking by people who don't stop to think. If they get TKed, they get mad and ignore the circumstances, apologies, and just leave the guy to be kicked. I've seen it happen.

I see what you mean -- but after all, the one who teamkilled is the 'bad guy', no matter if he did it on purpose, or by accident. The judgment is among the player who actually got killed, and i believe most players will do a fair judgement regarding the circumstances. Even in the worst-case scenario, that someone teamkilled someone else by accident, but the one who got killed, doesn't want to forgive, nothing more happens, than a simple kick where you are able to reconnect immediately.

--

About "forgetting" to type "!forgive" -- you could aswell tell the teamkilled player to either "!forgive" or "!notforgive" -- first case, doesn't do further actions -- second case kicks the player (and gives a warning) -- if nothing is entered, nothing at all happens (basically same as "!forgive").

That would at least prevent ppl from lazy players who don't care.

And what exactly do we have in SG 1.1?

1.1 is based on ioq3, so i suppose, it would be 'fairly easy' to access the GUIDs, while ioq3 afaik still lacks an advanced ban-system. Someone correct me please, if i'm wrong

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Allied » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:55 pm

moRtem wrote:I see what you mean -- but after all, the one who teamkilled is the 'bad guy', no matter if he did it on purpose, or by accident. The judgment is among the player who actually got killed, and i believe most players will do a fair judgement regarding the circumstances. Even in the worst-case scenario, that someone teamkilled someone else by accident, but the one who got killed, doesn't want to forgive, nothing more happens, than a simple kick where you are able to reconnect immediately.

Most probably will make a fair judgement, but I've seen several incendiary players who couldn't care less about anything but getting their own back. It's not an ignorable minority, and when the BR server is full - it's a pity to lose one's spot due to an unpleasant person :).

moRtem wrote:About "forgetting" to type "!forgive" -- you could aswell tell the teamkilled player to either "!forgive" or "!notforgive" -- first case, doesn't do further actions -- second case kicks the player (and gives a warning) -- if nothing is entered, nothing at all happens (basically same as "!forgive").

That doesn't sound bad, my primary concern is the extra "load" on the teamkilled to have to forgive when they don't think it's intentional. In UT, I have unintentionally kicked someone when I didn't notice the forgive notice, or I didn't realize that I had been teamkilled. Admittedly, UT is far faster action and much easier to not notice. So I would have little objection to having default not kick.
Allied
Quick Draw

Postby Rct. Tsoul » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:40 am

Just make it server admin controled, if you dont like what the admin has set on his server simply dont play on it, so we can have it both ways.
Rct. Tsoul
Pistolero

Postby /dev/random » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:27 pm

GUID is not meant as a means to securely identify players. It can easily be changed or even spoofed. IP doesn't work better, since most people have a dynamic IP.

Unless you have some valuable stats connected to your GUID or some sort of login, you can't rely on it as a means to ban players. The easier way would to have a sandbox and whitelist :D
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby mLy! » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:25 pm

But its better than banning from IP.
Keep in mind that most people who Teamkill just for the 'fun' are younger kids or less experienced pc users.
Banning by guid could really reduce the amount of TK'ers even if there is a way to get a new guid.

And trust me, as admin of the most popular server in the game: this game REALLY needs a way to (temp) bann people.

/dev/random wrote:GUID is not meant as a means to securely identify players. It can easily be changed or even spoofed. IP doesn't work better, since most people have a dynamic IP.

Unless you have some valuable stats connected to your GUID or some sort of login, you can't rely on it as a means to ban players. The easier way would to have a sandbox and whitelist :D
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Previous

Return to Code

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel