With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

Add teamnames to code and give server admins control

yes,
36%
no, not needed
64%

Total votes : 14

Accidental Team Kill or damage

Postby Rct. Tsoul » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:34 am

I have been playing a little, and I have noticed that some of the players are not acustum to TEAM PLAY, they just go around shooting as if they were in deathmatch Q3, and yea once they realize they just shot one of there teammates and brought his health down to 36%, its too late.

This mod needs to include nametags hovering over the players head, that can be disabled or enabled by the server admin.

1. For a server with inexperianced players you can turn the nametags ON that will show the players name hovering over there heads in Green for players on your team only, you wont be able to see them for the opossing team nametags, thus helping these newbies get the hang of team play, so if you DONT SEE A NAME TAG HOVERING, then you can shoot.

2. For a server with more experianced players that know what they are doing, the server admin can turn this feature off, thus having to identify your target before you shoot with more inteligence.

This should be incorperated into the next release because acidental team killing pisses people off and can turn into and escalate into a teamkilling blood-bath. If any of you have played True Combat for Q3 mod then you will know what I am talking about, dont forget, this feature can be turned off by the server admin eg:
Teamnames = 1 // 1 enables teamnames 0 disables teamnames
Vote on this below.
Rct. Tsoul
Pistolero

Postby /dev/random » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:54 pm

I suppose these name-tags should be visible through walls?
What about a simple icon instead of the name? Or a minimap with your teammates' positions on it?
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Black Jack Ketchum » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:35 pm

I dont like this ide, it would take away a great part of the games authenticity. I think its a attitude problem, i understand that people gets angry ( me included) but it whould be better if we coulde have some understanding, everybody makes mistakes and its just a game.

Marry x-mas!!!!!
The REAL Blackjack Ketchum
\/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Jack_Ketchum

[R.I.P =Cowboys From Hell= Clan]
Black Jack Ketchum
Quick Draw

Postby Slizer » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:42 pm

How about making different character models to make enemies and allies more distinguishable? I'm not whether any of you have played AA but each side sees the opposition as terrorists and I imagine something similar could be implemented?

How about the Good, Bad and Ugly? :D
Looking for a clan & buddies!
Slizer
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:50 pm

Seems we've already had a similar discussion about this HERE.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:04 pm

I would like something less intrusive... Right now, we only have a sign other the crosshair when you're aiming a teammate...

I'm thinking about something else, like putting away the crosshair from your teammate aiming point !! You're trying to aiming a guy, but your crosshair is just pushed away ! Btw this can only be a visual effect so teammate shooting will still be possible but the crosshair won't help you...

Can you add this option to you poll ? ;)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:48 pm

Tequila wrote:I'm thinking about something else, like putting away the crosshair from your teammate aiming point !! You're trying to aiming a guy, but your crosshair is just pushed away ! Btw this can only be a visual effect so teammate shooting will still be possible but the crosshair won't help you...

please not :/

--

if anything is done, i'd prefer what Slizer suggested:

I'm not whether any of you have played AA but each side sees the opposition as terrorists and I imagine something similar could be implemented?

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Slizer » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:38 pm

I suppose making the opposition always look like Indians would be too extreme?
Looking for a clan & buddies!
Slizer
Drifter

Postby ChainLightnin' » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:39 pm

Tequila's idea with the crosshairs is simple and effective, and I think might really help with the team kills. New models, like indians, etc. would be fun to have in the game, but redefining or creating models for teams would be more work. And, there are a lot of players now that reflex so fast that there is barely time to identify the player. No crosshair, no shoot. (For the most part, anyway). :)
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby moRtem » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:47 am

ChainLightnin' wrote:Tequila's idea with the crosshairs is simple and effective, and I think might really help with the team kills.

Ever thought of the possibility that someone watches two opponents fighting with bowie knife and would like to help his friend in danger by shooting the enemy? -- it will be even harder to aim with a jumping crosshair due to having a close-up quarrel of two players where one is your friend, and the other is not

Same counts for situations where your teammate runs along a corridor where you are holding your aim at because there are enemies in far distance.

And so on.

Please please.. please.. don't implement a jumping crosshair

Enemies black (or dirt-brown --- this decision might be up to the players via a console-command) with the red cross in case you're aiming at your teammate should be enough.

--

And about reflexes -> Everyone knows that there are opponents and friends .. so the reflex "wouah there's a person" has to be followed by asking yourself "is it an enemy or friend" .. which results in shoot or not shoot.

those who teamkill/teamwound now, will also do so with the next update. And i don't see how a jumping crosshair would be more protection than the current red cross, after all both - the crosshair-jump and the red cross - are only visible when you got your aim on a teamfriend.

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:23 am

Don't worry moRtem ;)

Don't be so fanatic too.

This is only a discussion, and you know I won't force you to bear such stuff. Even if I decide to add this "option", it will be a client side option you'll have to activate. You may just think of it like a helper to give you a chance to avoid a TK when enabled... Then you may want to disable it when you feel good enough.

I disagree with "Rct. Tsoul" on the point to force something on the server side... This is like saying "welcome to our fair jail" !!! I like freedom. I would prefer you welcome any noob player and provide him good advice so he will become a fair player asap. I agree This is not always easy, and it can become harder if our favorite game continues to be more and more popular. Btw, if you feel there're not enough server for noob and good old players, please create new servers :P
Tequila
SG Team

Postby mLy! » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:40 pm

just make it possible to choose wich model is the one for 'forced models' in the game ui

that way you could have a white model for outlaws and a black one for lawmen.

This is also probably the most easy thing for tequila to make
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby moRtem » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:03 pm

Tequila wrote:Even if I decide to add this "option", it will be a client side option you'll have to activate.

In that case, implement whatever you want.

Altough i think, this issue can't be solved like this -- better would be a system, which is used in other games. The one who got killed by a teamkiller is forced to type "!forgive", if he doesn't the teamkiller gets kicked.

In addition with a GUID-system (which is a part of ioq3, right?) and an advanced ban-system, you could even count not forgiven teamkills as warnings. Once a player collects 3 warnings on one day he gets a yellow card (=temp ban .. probably one day). And 3 yellow cards in one month gets you a red card (permanent ban).

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby dowoshek » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:13 pm

mLy! wrote:just make it possible to choose wich model is the one for 'forced models' in the game ui

that way you could have a white model for outlaws and a black one for lawmen.

This is also probably the most easy thing for tequila to make

Yes, this should be simply enough to solve the problem... anything more looks more like acrobatics.

moRtem wrote:In addition with a GUID-system (which is a part of ioq3, right?) and an advanced ban-system, you could even count not forgiven teamkills as warnings. Once a player collects 3 warnings on one day he gets a yellow card (=temp ban .. probably one day). And 3 yellow cards in one month gets you a red card (permanent ban).

And what exactly do we have in SG 1.1? As I think this should be currently very high priority (even more important than weapon balance) - I mean teamkillers, kicking, banning and voting system in general. Maybe we should talk about it in separate topic?
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby Allied » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:25 pm

moRtem wrote:Altough i think, this issue can't be solved like this -- better would be a system, which is used in other games. The one who got killed by a teamkiller is forced to type "!forgive", if he doesn't the teamkiller gets kicked.

I've played on servers in Urban Terror where this is implemented, and it's frightfully annoying. It's just too easy to forget or not notice what happened, even though it is easier in BR than TDM like UT usually is. Not only is it a mild punishment on the TKed because he now has to take action to prevent a miskick, but it would allow easy kicking by people who don't stop to think. If they get TKed, they get mad and ignore the circumstances, apologies, and just leave the guy to be kicked. I've seen it happen.
Allied
Quick Draw

Next

Return to Code

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel