With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

smokinguns.deb and smokinguns.aur ?

Postby HomeSlice » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:26 am

Sorry if SVN/ isn't quite the right subforum to post this in, but I figured it's the closest it can get. Mods, feel free to move the topic to the proper forum.

Since the SG userbase is quite low, I was wondering if a .deb or .aur can be built for SG to harness more users (and possible devs) from the open-source community. Of course, I would like to ask the devs to see if there are any particular reasons why SG is not up in the community repository for various Linux distros yet, as well as attaining permission from the devs to make corresponding .dev and .aur for smokinguns. I personally feel smokinguns is at a pretty stable stage for a release into the community repositories.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Slice.
HomeSlice
Drifter

Re: smokinguns.deb and smokinguns.aur ?

Postby moRtem » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:03 am

HomeSlice wrote:Thoughts?

Right now SG is close to release 1.1.
I guess it would be smart to wait until the stable 1.1 release.

Especially since 1.1 contains a lot of urgently needed bugfixes and a couple of real goodies.

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby HomeSlice » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:18 pm

Mmmm. Maybe I can pack 1.0? It seems that when 1.1 stable is released, it only contains engine upgrade + some additional maps. I'd figure getting more people into the game is a good idea at this point.
HomeSlice
Drifter

Postby moRtem » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:14 pm

HomeSlice wrote:It seems that when 1.1 stable is released, it only contains engine upgrade + some additional maps.

yes

I'd figure getting more people into the game is a good idea at this point.

I disagree since 1.0 got loads of nasty bugs which spoil the fun - especially in the beginning.

I know a couple of players who deleted the game after they played a few rounds due to experiencing spawn-bug, lamers, teamkillers (who couldn't be kicked due to renaming and no admin being around) and so on.

Most of this stuff is fixed or improved in 1.1.

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Plates » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:19 pm

I just found SG on GetDeb's Game area [ SG on PlayDeb ]. So I guess someone already packaged 1.0 back in august, I didn't know this was there other day on IRC.
Plates
Pistolero

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:40 am

Probably Tequila or sparcdr could answer this question. But as far as I know it should be ok? And yes, it would be better to wait for the official release of 1.1 in my opinion.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:34 am

Legally it's OK unless the distribution requires GPL-only content. The content is freeware, free to distribute so long as it's shipped with the engine (source or binary) so feel free to provide a package for each platform you can maintain. Much thanks.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby HomeSlice » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:51 am

Meh. I will wait till 1.1 stable release.
HomeSlice
Drifter

Postby sparcdr » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:18 am

I have contacted the folks behind Desura (ModDB) for possible distribution via that channel. We'll see how it goes, and I'll be talking to other team members about it. Should be fairly straightforward if we release point versions to it and then have the option to install betas. (Should be possible, since we have betas on ModDB already)

If I had a more automated way of packaging for the other two main Linux targets (DEB, RPM) in addition to generic, it would probably be used by community repositories. Though since I don't work a lot on Linux, especially compared to Tequila and some users, maybe all we need is a QC of proposed packages if others want to take a crack at such.

Like to hear directly if you can handle making packages for your distribution of choice, but keep in mind as I said before, some will not allow inclusion except in a community repository. It's very similar case as Urban Terror as we need the same sources used to compile the binaries shipped with the package or by another optional repository package to satisfy GPL v2. (Like -dev on Debian-alike)

To satisfy the GPL v2 you either bundle the source or make sure that for 3 years after sources are available somewhere public for the revision used to compile such binaries. Look for yourself and you'll see that. I don't think SourceForge is going anywhere, so we can just make it very obvious in the license text or readme that it can be found there, at the revision we used.

Our content is freeware dependency, somewhat like Creative Commons BY-NC, which means content is to have credits left intact, is to not be sold for gain.

It's required to provide binaries, source, or both to let the content function and license texts must be bundled at minimal to keep our content people happy.

Other rules:
Some content may be explicitly encumbered and is not to be reversed and made public. If you do it on your own, you must not share the modifications, which makes it also like Artistic License 2.0. If you want to submit content modifications, it's always better to ask us first. To be safe, ship vanilla content with binaries. The binaries are under GPL v2 you may make modifications to the engine as long as you make users aware of such to differentiate your version from ours.

Binaries could in theory be used without content if you have used it for other purposes. You can ship the source standalone, but if you ship binaries they must have instructions noting where the source can be found, or simply have them accompany.
sparcdr
SG Team

Return to Code

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel