With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

Can this be ported to Tegra?

Postby Redwing » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:14 pm

I am by no stretch of the phrase an "experienced developer", but I just want to satisfy my curiosity... If there were some developers interested in porting SG 1.0 to a touchscreen mobile device running WINCE 5.0 on a NVIDIA Tegra APX 2500, would that be possible? It would be complied using Visual Studio 2008 C++. I'm assuming C++ would be a sticking point, given that I see SG is in C.

But still, is it possible? Would it even be worth the effort?
Last edited by Redwing on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby torhu » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:52 am

Here's a an nvidia demo of quake 3 running on tegra, so it's not impossible. No idea how much work is needed, though.

And msvc 2008 is what we use to build SG on Windows, so no problem there.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Redwing » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:23 am

Looking at the Quake source included, I can see that there's an Input code block. I'm assuming that's one of the biggest things I'd have to change. Just looking through it, though, I have no idea what most of it means... I might want to step away from this idea a while and wait until I'm more experienced, if ever.
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby Tequila » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:50 am

If you want to work on such a port, you should better work with the current /branches/1.1 branch.

The reason is this branch is based on ioQuake3 engine and I know there're few projects with OpenGL ES you still can look at. As you should know, Tegra chip provides OpenGL ES support and Quake3, ioQuake3 and Smokin'Guns engine uses OpenGL (without 'ES', I'm not sure what are the real issues btw). You still can look at ioQuake3 on N900. This is a port to a linux based system and the renderer has been modified to support OpenGL ES and sources are availables. You can also check Kwaak3, ioQuake3 Android port but this one is using a java binding to start the game on a linux based system. These projects are actives but you may want also to look at Q3CE project which is more in the WinCE spirit, you may find there some good code for the touchscreen support.

Honestly, on my part, I would really like to have time to work on Kwaak3, ioQuake3 Android port 8)
Then I'll definitively try to help if you work on WinCE port. Also working with ioQuake3 based 1.1 branch, your work would be able to be integrated in ioQuake3 and so you may benefit from ioQuake3 team support.
And finally you should firstly try to work on Q3 or ioQuake3 port before Smokin'Guns engine port, so you'll definitively have support from many other guys than just us ! You should just know Smokin'Guns engine is not really different than Q3 and ioQ3 engine and the final backport to our engine will always be possible.
;)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Redwing » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:41 am

Tequila wrote:If you want to work on such a port, you should better work with the current /branches/1.1 branch.

The reason is this branch is based on ioQuake3 engine and I know there're few projects with OpenGL ES you still can look at. As you should know, Tegra chip provides OpenGL ES support and Quake3, ioQuake3 and Smokin'Guns engine uses OpenGL (without 'ES', I'm not sure what are the real issues btw). You still can look at ioQuake3 on N900. This is a port to a linux based system and the renderer has been modified to support OpenGL ES and sources are availables. You can also check Kwaak3, ioQuake3 Android port but this one is using a java binding to start the game on a linux based system. These projects are actives but you may want also to look at Q3CE project which is more in the WinCE spirit, you may find there some good code for the touchscreen support.

Honestly, on my part, I would really like to have time to work on Kwaak3, ioQuake3 Android port 8)
Then I'll definitively try to help if you work on WinCE port. Also working with ioQuake3 based 1.1 branch, your work would be able to be integrated in ioQuake3 and so you may benefit from ioQuake3 team support.
And finally you should firstly try to work on Q3 or ioQuake3 port before Smokin'Guns engine port, so you'll definitively have support from many other guys than just us ! You should just know Smokin'Guns engine is not really different than Q3 and ioQ3 engine and the final backport to our engine will always be possible.
;)

Thanks for the information. I may suggest porting ioQuake3 to the group of developers at the forums for the device (the Zune HD, by the way). They just managed to hack it to gain access to the WINCE below, so we're all kind of giddy with ideas of ports. Smokin' Guns is one of my favorite games of all time, so I immediately wanted to know if such a port was possible. Right now, it looks like it, so I may look into things and bring it to the table. The developers on the forums are more talented than I and might have a better time of porting ioQuake3.
DeviantArt|Music
Redwing
Shootist

Return to Code

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel