With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

rotating train and other stuff

Postby Joe Kari » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:27 am

Hi,

Just to say that I have managed to code a rotating train ;)
I'm still testing if it does not break other things, but for instance it works very well !!!
I have always dreamed of such feature...
It still use the func_train, you just needs to give an "angle" key for each path_corner you have.

I have modified the func_rotating too, it can be used to have sine (like sinus) move instead of linear, in other word it's just like the func_pendulum but with greater flexibility. I'm planning to make another variation to produce some "shutter in the wind in a ghost town" effect.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby dbozan99 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:46 am

Ohh! This sounds like it could be quite interesting! Keep up the good work!
dbozan99
Pistolero

Postby ChainLightnin' » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:53 pm

Admirable!
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Re: rotating train and other stuff

Postby Pardner » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:19 pm

Joe Kari wrote:It still use the func_train, you just needs to give an "angle" key for each path_corner you have

Great! This sounds like fun.... I just have a small request. Is it possible to use the angles key/value so we could have pitch, yaw, and rotation at each each corner? This way Red could make a super cool mine cart going the entire length of his tunnels in CB and it would look natural as it descended downward!

Does the func_train still get stopped when a player blocks the path? Maybe this could be another modification. Have the func_train push the player like Q3's func_push
Pardner
SG Team

Postby dbozan99 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:01 pm

Or Damage them, or Both...

Don't get run over!
dbozan99
Pistolero

Postby !NuB!Donut » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:10 pm

This sounds amazing!!!
I will make a map with it when it's released there are so many new options like a train or a ship or a horse wagon...
!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:53 am

Ship! Did you say ship?! There must be a western movie that lets us qualify old square-rigged ships! Gold runners, fur traders? :D
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby DeUgli » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:53 am

ChainLightnin' wrote:Ship! Did you say ship?! There must be a western movie that lets us qualify old square-rigged ships!
As long as we're dreaming, how about a steampunk mod of SG, with a flying ship from Joe Kari's fellow countryman Jules Verne?
[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/344_masteroftheworld_albatross_detail_1.jpg][timg]344_masteroftheworld_albatross_detail_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]
Irgendeiner wartet immer.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ChainLightnin' » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:31 am

OK, I get to be Captain Nemo! How about the great ships that were in Seattle during the Klondike Gold Rush? (This is probably off topic?) :D
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Joe Kari » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:13 pm

Hehe, there are tons of things possible with that ;)

Pardner wrote:Great! This sounds like fun.... I just have a small request. Is it possible to use the angles key/value so we could have pitch, yaw, and rotation at each each corner? This way Red could make a super cool mine cart going the entire length of his tunnels in CB and it would look natural as it descended downward!

Not tested, but it should already work ;)

I will try to finish the job next weekend, and post a video with a small tutorial.

Pardner wrote:Does the func_train still get stopped when a player blocks the path? Maybe this could be another modification. Have the func_train push the player like Q3's func_push

Sadly, it doesn't change anything here: I didn't touch the physical engine itself, but just the way trajectories are computed when spawning func_train...

As long as we're dreaming, how about a steampunk mod of SG, with a flying ship from Joe Kari's fellow countryman Jules Verne?

Yeah, it could be a really fun and interesting mod ;)
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:21 pm

I have made a video of my testing with new func_train and func_rotating.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uy-DYguMQuo?hl=fr&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uy-DYguMQuo?hl=fr&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

So it start with a standard func_rotating, then 4 variations of func_rotating with the key/value "func/sin" and various value for the keys "delta" and "freq".

After that, you can see the func_train, doing very unusual move to show you all the new capabilities.

I think the "shutter in the wind in a ghost town" effect could be easily achieve using this new func_train, so I don't need to add extra works on func_rotating (like I was planing at the begining), in fact, you can perform any sequencies of arbitrary move ;)

I will try to write a tutorial soon...
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby !NuB!Donut » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:27 pm

looks great !!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Will you be also able to make a speaker (for sounds) which move with the object?
!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby DeUgli » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:16 am

Nice work, Joe! That will add fun to the game.
Irgendeiner wartet immer.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Juaro Juarez » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:20 pm

The fourth one looks weird :D
I couldn't imagine something in the game moving like this :)
Anyways, nice work, that will be cool to watch in the game. ;)
-nox-Juaro-

Admin on Jeuxlinux.
Juaro Juarez
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Joe Kari » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:33 pm

Juaro Juarez wrote:The fourth one looks weird :D
I couldn't imagine something in the game moving like this :)
Anyways, nice work, that will be cool to watch in the game. ;)

The goal of this video was not to look cool or weird, just to show that this new entity can move or rotate in any way... it's up to the mapper's imagination to do something nice with that ;)
Joe Kari
SG Team

Next

Return to Code

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel