With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Release of map sources under CC BY-SA 4.0\Brelis legacy maps

Postby Breli » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:30 pm

Hi all,

Tequila asked me document my old maps and release the source files so that they can be improved by future mappers. Here you go: Brelis Maps.

The overview page links to brief descriptions of the individual maps and how they turned out like they did (for good and bad ;)). The source file is included as an attachment.

Looking forward to some improved versions of these :twisted:!
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Re: Release of map sources under CC BY-SA 4.0\Brelis legacy

Postby Tequila » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:21 pm

Thank you so much Breli ! :twisted:

Your next step is to create a public repo :roll: :lol:

Join Smokin'Guns Return room on Discord
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Barto » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:05 pm

Wonderful! If we can get all assets under a CC BY-SA licence we'll have a fully open source game :-) I've been always fearful about losing source assets or code, and now I'm glad this will not happen to your maps.

The game assets here are quite questionable in term of clear licensing. Characters clearly inspired from western spaghetti movies may bring us some lawmen some day. So far, this has been fine since we're not on Disney or Nintendo's territory.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Breli » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:01 pm

well, just two cents from an old man: I understand the wish for having everything under a public license but this is NOT the major issue here. As I wrote elsewhere: We have the sourcecode of the game itself and basically ALL maps. I have no doubt that Red, Pardner and Joe Kari would release their maps if required. We have the sources for those anyway so they are not lost. We also have all ICI canon map sources.

I also don't think that anyone would be able to make a case against us because of the player models. Thats quite far fetched IMHO but I am no lawyer.

The only assets that really need clarification are textures, sounds and maybe models if anyone used 3rd party models at all. But that can be handled. Just throw out the old textures and create a new texture repository e.g. by using textures.com. Thats what I used for Sweetwater at least. License wise that is fine IMHO.

The real issue is that a team (!) needs to pick this up now so that the game gets an infusion of fresh blood, new ideas and (wo)manpower ... content licensing issues can be sorted out. Lack of manpower cannot.

On the bright side: It was always like this! :lol:
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby megamindbrian » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:50 pm

I really appreciate this kind of thing. Especially as learning material for future mappers and myself. I felt obliged to share this link with more open source maps. http://lvl.sourceforge.net/lvl-ogsl.php

I am wondering if there is a .map for Sweetwater? I'd like to take a stab at optimizing and bots.
megamindbrian
Newcomer

Postby joshbrown » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:53 pm

megamindbrian wrote:I really appreciate this kind of thing. Especially as learning material for future mappers and myself. I felt obliged to share this link with more open source maps. http://lvl.sourceforge.net/lvl-ogsl.php

I am wondering if there is a .map for Sweetwater? I'd like to take a stab at optimizing and bots.

Hey, this link is not working for me. Can you fix that, please?
joshbrown
Newcomer

Postby Jokovich » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:11 pm

joshbrown wrote:
megamindbrian wrote:I really appreciate this kind of thing. Especially as learning material for future mappers and myself. I felt obliged to share this link with more open source maps. http://lvl.sourceforge.net/lvl-ogsl.php

Hey, this link is not working for me. Can you fix that, please?

Hello, link works.
Jokovich
Newcomer

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel