With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

[MAP]Desert Blood, 2-5 players

Postby Hideous » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:50 pm

Desert Blood (dm_tinyDesert) is a small DM arena, suitable for fast games with a very small amount of friends, or maybe a duel. It's also my first map for Smokin' Guns!

DOWNLOAD DESERT BLOOD

I should also point out that bots work, but not very well.

I forgot a file, so if you somehow downloaded this before, do it again.
Hideous
Drifter

Postby Steely Gaze » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:56 am

I just tried this on my own against a couple of bots and have to say that it works quite nicely for a very small map. Nothing too complex about it, but I'm probably going to give it a shot with my brother and sister over LAN tomorrow. It looks like it'll have a nice fit for three players.

One quibble though, I got stuck several times, often fatally if one of those bots caught me, on the edge of the wagon nearest the tiny rock ledge. If I slipped off I'd get stuck by the wheel and be unable to free myself. It's just a little too close methinks.

Other than that, I haven't seen any big problems with my brief run through. I look forward to trying it against a couple of humans. :D
Steely Gaze
Drifter

Postby Breli » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:47 am

Wow! That's what I call quick mapping action! Looking forward to check it out and a big thank you for lending your talents here :D
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:23 am

NICE map. The flow is really good and I love the small location. Makes me realize that the map I intend to do may need to be upped in size so it doesn't become too crowded too easily.

I will however say it feels like it needs a third tier. There's currently two height levels and it feels like it needs a third one, cliff-wise. Either in a separate area from this one (as the balance and flow is really nice) or in a bigger version. I assume from the name you intend to make a bigger variation. But it's great for when it's just you and a couple of friends, whereas many maps often get voted away from because of their size on servers. I do wonder what it'd be like with the huge 8 person games we get nowadays. :lol:

Got some bugs/things to mention.

Visually, this is a bit blocky and I'm also concerned about the engine getting you stuck on an edge. Perhaps some player clipping at least?

I felt I could climb this. I couldn't. This saddens me. :( Either shorten it to climb up or add a little platform for it? Or just take it out entirely, also a possibility. but this feels a bit wrong for me.

Picture says it all.

I think that's it for now as first impressions.

As for the wagon, definitely move it away from that slope there. That's dangerous. O_O
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:50 am

Well done for a first SG map. :)
Is there a chance we'll be seeing more ambitious levels from you?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Hideous » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:08 am

Evil Futsin: That blockiness is on purpose, and it's very possible to get up there, I've done it several times - You just have to crouch-jump up :)

I guess I'll have to fix that wagon though.

Red: Possibly, if I get my thumb out of my arse and stop being so lazy :roll:
Hideous
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:32 pm

Hot damn! the SA hasn't been out two weeks and there is already a fan map! way to go Hideous! Looks great, i will download it as soon as I get the chance :D

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Checked it out! I really like the general layout and structure. 8)

Is there a chance that you spruce up the place a bit if\when you are still working on it? Like throwing in a few models or prefabs from our mapping tools package and a bunch of things to hide behind (such as barrels, crates, trees) for good measure?

That'll be really cool 8)

Breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Hideous » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:58 pm

I didn't see any prefabs in there, but yeah I was thinking I should add some details. That wagon in there is taken from the pack, already! :)
Hideous
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:05 pm

Breli, we forgot to include alot of our "prefabs" but Hideous, we did include all (or most) of our .ase models. You can insert out model if you right click in the 2d window in GTK and select misc-->misc_model, then select ASE in the drop down menu and then navigate to the ase folder we included.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:14 pm

Pardner wrote:Breli, we forgot to include alot of our "prefabs" but Hideous, we did include all (or most) of our .ase models. You can insert out model if you right click in the 2d window in GTK and select misc-->misc_model, then select ASE in the drop down menu and then navigate to the ase folder we included.

.ASE models are prefabs. All of my prefabs are .maps turned in to ASE. By the way we didn't include even half of them. I have over 100 prefabs and ReD has a bunch too that weren't included. We are still trying to figure out how we want to distribute them.
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ChainLightnin' » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:57 pm

This is embarrassing...apparently Vista doesn't like my old Winzip and won't convert this map zip file to .pk3, like I've done a million times before. Ideas?
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby L3th4l » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:20 pm

ChainLightnin' wrote:This is embarrassing...apparently Vista doesn't like my old Winzip and won't convert this map zip file to .pk3, like I've done a million times before. Ideas?

All you should have to do is rename it to mapname.pk3. A .pk3 is a .zip file.

If you use FireFox, it will download as a pk3. IE changes the ext to .zip
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ChainLightnin' » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:35 pm

Thanks, yah I thought so, but it just won't do it. It still sees it as a Winzip file. Stupid vista.
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby L3th4l » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:53 pm

ChainLightnin' wrote:Thanks, yah I thought so, but it just won't do it. It still sees it as a Winzip file. Stupid vista.

I'm running Vista and just redownloaded it using IE instead of FF. All I had to do was right click the file, select rename and change the .zip to a .pk3.

For me even XP saw the .pk3 as a .zip. Meaning if you clicked on a .pk3 it would open your zip program..

Download FF and use that. It will download it as the.pk3.

That's all I got for ya bro..
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Next

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel