With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Postby EvilFutsin » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 am

Since Red's looks just like what I pictured for my own section, but was in the middle of getting started on still, I'll have to do another theme. Crap. >_>

That's fine, though. I got some ideas. :)
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:00 am

I dont have anything to show yet :( ... other than some rough ideas and concepts. sorry I was busy with other stuff.
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:17 pm

EvilFutsin wrote:Since Red's looks just like what I pictured for my own section, but was in the middle of getting started on still, I'll have to do another theme. Crap. >_>

(I think he reads minds o_0 )

If you guys want, post your ideas. That way we dont get multiple sections with similar ideas. My next section I want to try making inside a mine shaft or a cave cavern.... a little like the tunnels in CB. I haven't started yet, so no promises ;)
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:25 pm

I guess a lot of us have been playing with similar ideas. We shouldn't let us stop each other just because the overall theme sounds similar. After all, we have VERY different mapping styles.

One thought about the project: Do we know for sure that size\complexity doesn't matter? The engine has to render only a small portion yes, but it has to load the whole thing nonetheless ...

Breli
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:21 pm

Breli wrote:Do we know for sure that size\complexity doesn't matter? The engine has to render only a small portion yes, but it has to load the whole thing nonetheless ...

Not sure. If it shows itself to be a problem, then maybe only one map part from each person would be wise. (Mine is neither very large nor complex atm. I just want it to be pretty.) We'll still need to figure out a way to make sure our skyboxes don't interfere with each other though.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:26 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:then maybe only one map part from each person would be wise.

As long as there is enough spawn points to accommodate the number of players (16 players / 2 players per section = 8 sections ish )
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:30 pm

Good point. But have you looked at the stock duel maps yet? There are actually 5 spawnpoints per section. Two singles, then three that are "tied" together for triple duels.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:01 pm

For the skybox, we need to have only one sun, so the sun in every skybox should be at the same place.

Sorry, I will not have time to map for the next few weeks :(
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:31 pm

Well, if we're gonna be talking about our ideas, I'll let it be known mine is the concept of an interiors-only saloon that's been condemned. Or a prison. In any case, the idea is to be in a duel that's claustrophobic or closed in to make the fight a bit more intense.

Since exteriors are not my strong point (the only good urban mapping I ever did was backalleys :/), I'll be sticking to interiors for ease. At least it helps me focus on good gameplay situations.

And the thing is Red's picture looks, conceptually speaking, EXACTLY what the flow and look of my map was going to be, except I was going to have a building in one corner. So that's why I'm backing off doing the same idea twice. We're not talking just a vague similarity here. :)
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:07 am

Check it out. It's done with patch mesh by dragging vertices to the shape you want.

Lost video
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Breli » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:45 am

omfg that looks really, really sweet! you guys will totally outgun me when it comes to visual quality :roll: ...

Breli
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:02 am

Thanks Breli, but I'm sure whatever you come up with will be great. (As always!)

Nothing super-special about this next peek. Just a lot of experimentation going on here. FPS are over 100 on my 5 year old pc so far. This was only compiled with the light stages. (You'll notice an IRC "beep" towards the beginning. Sorry.)

Lost video
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:41 am

Looks brilliant Red..... damn talk about setting the bar!!! :roll:
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Lixus » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:22 pm

Hey Ho,

I know i was away for quite a while. First of all: Congratulations to the release! Been quite busy lately... :roll:
BUT i'd love to contribute to the duelmap! Problem is: I haven't been mapping for uhm.. over two years i guess?? i didn't even know you can do such sweet graphic effects as flowing water or these beautiful terrain textures in quake 3... so can i.. please...? and could someone give me 1-2 links to tutorials or something on where to start..? 8)

greets,
[ici] el lixus
=Lixus=
Lixus
Iron Claw

Postby Pardner » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:46 pm

Lixus! glad to see you post. I think it would be awesome to have an ICI mapper contribute. here are some links to get you started ;) (hehe couldn't resist)
Pardner
SG Team

PreviousNext

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel