With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:01 pm

MachoBastard wrote:ok, let me see if i get it, for example if i select all the clipping i made for the ASE models and apply func_static, they all will count as ONE? but still work clipping like a brush?.. :?

In theory, yes. But I've never tried func_static for anything. I would stay away from that if you're only using it to reduce compile times... period. Just do fast light compiles untill you're ready to see how full compiles look & behave. That'll save a lot of compile time for now.

About clipping: If you wanted, you could get rid of all your cactus models & the clipping for them & use the prefabs instead. (Or at least keep that in mind for future maps.) Models that are out of reach of the players don't really need to be clipped.

An excessive number of breakables & rotating doors might make your map run poorly on older computers unless you are good at vis blocking your level.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:09 pm

Ok, this is gettin annoyin, ive already deleted half of the brushes of my map..and im still gettin that damn error...there has to be some method to reduce brushes without so much trouble.. :|
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Joe Kari » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:48 pm

And personally, I wouldn't use func_static just to get a shorter compile time.
I second that ;)
Entity are not processed like worldspawn, so there are good chance that it will be a nightmare for server's CPU load.
Turn all this func_static entity to worldspawn, but turn them to detail brushes.
You should cut the number of breakable by 2 or 3 too.

Misc_model does not count, even if Radiant say it is entity, it's not understood like that by q3map2 and the game engine, it's just like detail brushes with no collision.

Weapon spawn, and item spawn count as entity.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Breli » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:52 pm

muchobastard: if you want u can shot me your map file and i'll take a look :)
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:43 am

MachoBastard wrote:Ok, this is gettin annoyin, ive already deleted half of the brushes of my map..and im still gettin that damn error...there has to be some method to reduce brushes without so much trouble.. :|

its not the brushes that are the problem... its the 280 entities. like Red said. try grouping some of your breakables into single breakables.

Clip brushes dont need to made into an entity. They are transparent so they dont even affect the -vis stage or the -light stage of the compile.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:56 am

Well, after leavin my fingerprint on the del key, the error seems to be gone, im now tryin out some prefabs, (thanks again red, prefabs are way better than addin models+clippin! :D ), unfortunately i noticed somethin, the prefabs arent casting any shadows! :| arent prefabs supposed to be brushes?..

here, take a look:

ive already compiled with and without "_cs" (btw, turned all the cactus and plant stuff into detail brushes), nuthin seems to work.. :(
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Breli » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:45 pm

which compiler settings do you use? you have to activate -patchshadows in order to enable shadow casting of patches (like the cactae).

so your compile should look like this (light stage only):

-light -fast -patchshadows (plus any other switches you fancy)

Breli
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:07 pm

ic, ill try that, thanks breli,now ive some trouble , when i break a window glass, it drops my fps from 120 to 40 or 50, lags my pc :( , how do i fix that, windows need to be smaller?...

oh, my lil "Sembradillo" ended up like this: 8)

MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Pardner » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:51 pm

MachoBastard wrote:ic, ill try that, thanks breli,now ive some trouble , when i break a window glass, it drops my fps from 120 to 40 or 50, lags my pc :( , how do i fix that, windows need to be smaller?...

Small and less breakables. If you still have 100 breakables, you really need to reduce is down to a manageable size!
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:15 pm

The engine handles breakables very very badly. Pardner is right either you reduce the amount of breakables (I believe size doesn't matter) or you'll keep the FPS losses. FPS recover after a while ... sorry it is just the way it is with this old engine :?

Breli
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:50 pm

Ok, got that, ive been readin tutorials about the ai script for ET...and i was takin a look at the sample maps..but seems the ai scripting for GS its diferent, isnt it?..is there a tutorial for GS ai? or would u be so kind to give me lite explanation? :D , dunno what entity ive to use as "path node", or whatever its called in GS. i just need a hint to know were to start :|
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Breli » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:04 pm

In SG, ai nodes are only needed for bot support in RTP and BR gamemodes. AI nodes provide targets for bots to go to if\when they dont have anything else to go for.

Creating ai nodes is fairly simple. You should have a file "ai-nodes readme" or so somewhere in your tools dir. Straight from that file:

Code: Select all
AI files are waypoint files used by the bots in Smokin' Guns

The AI-Nodes are set ingame, with cheats being enabled
-----------------------------------------------------------

commands:

"node_set"      set a node
"node_reset"      delete all nodes
"node delete"      delete the nearest node
"node_print"      print the coordinates of all nodes
"node_savefile"      save the .ai file
"node_openfile"    load the ai.file of the current map

You can ease that process with proper key bindings. you DON'T need a hell lot of ai nodes! Just put 10-20 in your map. That'll be enough!

Cheers

Breli

Breli
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:06 pm

Thats the cool thing. SG uses the Q3 engine and therefore, doesn't need need ai path nodes. Because you have weapons and items in your map, you might not even need to have a .ai file. What you need to do is use the bspc.exe that came in the Radiant 1.4 folder. here is the batch script

"C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\Radiant-1.4\bspc.exe" -forcesidevisible -optimize ""C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\maps\mapname.bsp"

Or you can use Q3Map2Toolz and select the BSPC tab at the top.

If you wish to tweak your bot behavior you can do one or both of these things:
  • Add bot clip anywhere, where bots cannot/will not/do not go. This will both improve bot performance and decrease compile time.
  • In the readme.html you can fine this
    "node_set" set a node
    "node_reset" delete all nodes
    "node delete" delete the nearest node
    "node_print" print the coordinates of all nodes
    "node_savefile" save the .ai file
    "node_openfile" load the ai.file of the current map

You can bind these to keys and go through the map and add ai node anywhere you want your bots to go. This is not like a path, but more like a "bot magnet". They will not be drawn to the nodes, but they will try to go to them the best they can.

EDIT: Dang, Breli beat me!! :D
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:13 pm

I'd like to add that breakable windows should be made fairly thin.
Thick glass not only looks funky after it breaks but it also seems to have a higher performance hit.
(I don't know that for a fact. It just "feels" that way to me.)
Breli is right, you need AI Nodes for all gametypes except DM.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:43 pm

oh, seems id tech 3 engine has some advantages after all 8)
so for DM maps i need no ai nodes?, the bots will just take as nodes the pickups?, hmm, and how do i add my map to my SG game? i think i saw some C files containing map lists, do i need to modify that? :?
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel