With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Postby MachoBastard » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:48 pm

hi again to sg staff, thanks for the opinions, yeah, i know about the horrible fps drops.. :| , now im workin on some new map.. but started havin problems with the damn bsp cuts!, any suggestions or tips of how to avoid or get rid of this annoyin lil bastards? :x

caught in screen monstrous BSP cut!!

need some tips about rocks making, coz vertex editing screws up most brushes :(

EDIT by Pardner: made thumbnail image
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Pardner » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:58 pm

Code: Select all
split not on both sides
split not on both sides
two tiny brushes
two tiny brushes
two tiny brushes

Are you using cg_subtract a lot? cg_subtract is the devil for new GTK radiant users. It is so easy to make brush architecture with cg_subtract, but unfortunately, it takes the soul of your map. using excessive cg_subtract can cause tiny tiny brushes that the compiler doesn't know what to do (two tiny brushes). This causes poor frame rates (the game still draws them) and can increase the size of the bsp.

The pict you posted might be from one of those little tiny brushes. It was small enough to show up in radiant, but the game cannot physically draw it.

Only use cg_subtract when you have to
or not at all. If you have to use cg_subtract, make sure you know what you want it to do, and then double check that it actually did what you wanted it to do.

For a really good rock wall tutorial, go here:
http://www.simonoc.com/pages/articles/rockwall1_1.htm
I think all the SG mappers use or have used this method. Its hard to get used to (still working on it), but they come out beautiful.

It is a very good tutorial because you have to manipulate brushes by hand. Once you get used to doing that, cg_subtract will be the past ;)
Pardner
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:12 pm

hmm, actually i only use cg_substract for the basic shape passages...i use vertex edition to give "rock shape" to my rocks, but it sux, doesnt handle really more complex shapes, need to be really careful when usin it... :? and about the tutorial, seems good info, but i was talkin more about, round rocks on the floor..like the ase model u included in the mapping pack.. :D
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Pardner » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:25 pm

I see.
What I do for creating rocks is:
-create a brush about the general size you want
-convert it to a 6-9 sided brush (looking down on the z-axis)
-then i modify the verticies (hotkey: V). Move the upper ones inward and down at random intervals.
Warning: doing this can cause some verticies to be off the grid. This will cause big problems. If a verticy doesn't want to move: back up!
Pardner
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:31 pm

I use the clipper tool to make rocks. Works great. Then apply a phong shader to the rock texture to get rid of hard edges.

Moving verticies is bad practice :wink:
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MachoBastard » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:27 pm

clipper tool..and phong shader...ok, sounds great...except ive no idea of whats that..lol.. :D any tutorial out there?.. :|
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby L3th4l » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:57 pm

Clipper tool is in Radiant, top tool bar. Looks like 3 blue dots connected in a triangle. You use it to clip brushes into shapes. Just play around with it, you'll get the hang of how it works.

Here is a page about phong shading (phong shading is not required to make rocks look good, it's just my preference :wink: )

http://www.simonoc.com/pages/articles/phongshading1.htm
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MachoBastard » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:29 pm

zomg, clipper tool really does the trick, thanks a lot lethal :D gonna post an SS of my next map soon 8)
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby L3th4l » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:15 am

MachoBastard wrote:zomg, clipper tool really does the trick, thanks a lot lethal :D gonna post an SS of my next map soon 8)

No problem bro :wink:
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MachoBastard » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:32 pm

ok, i think i kinda talked too soon, lol, got this when i try to compile :|

Code: Select all

C:\>cd C:/Program files/Smokin' Guns/

C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns>"smokinguns\compiler\q3map2.exe" -light -fs_basepa
th "C:\Program files\Smokin' Guns" "smokinguns\maps\dm_rumorosa.bsp"
1 threads
Q3Map            - v1.0r (c) 1999 Id Software Inc.
Q3Map (ydnar)    - v2.5.16
GtkRadiant       - v1.5.0 Jan 19 2009 00:36:52
Like mom used to make

Modified for Smokin' Guns - v0.0.2 Experimental version. Use at your own risk.
VFS Init: C:/Program files/Smokin' Guns/smokinguns/

--- Light ---
entering scripts/shaderlist.txt
entering scripts/common.shader
entering scripts/joekari.shader
entering scripts/sg.shader
WARNING: Unknown material "water"
Loading C:/Program Files/Smokin' Guns/smokinguns\maps\dm_rumorosa.bsp
Loading C:/Program Files/Smokin' Guns/smokinguns\maps\dm_rumorosa.srf
Loading C:/Program Files/Smokin' Guns/smokinguns\maps\dm_rumorosa.map
entering C:/Program Files/Smokin' Guns/smokinguns\maps\dm_rumorosa.map
************ ERROR ************
MAX_TW_VERTS (12) exceeded

C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

is there anythin i could do to fix it? or ive to reduce or remake all my brushes?.. :(
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:25 pm

ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:31 pm

thanks for the info red :D , but i droped the map..gonna try somethin diferent.. :| ive some doubt, is there any workin Fog Shader? and..the falling effect on ..hmm.. a map of yours i think its Coyote Bluff or somethin, when the character falls into the abyss it Screams and dies Inevitably, what common shaders did u use?.. tried a fog shader on sg_sfx package but didnt work, the "Fog" letters were displayed instead :?
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby MachoBastard » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:09 pm

Hiya SG staff, workin on some map i named "Ghost Town: El Oro" based on some abandoned gold mines about 90km from were i live called "Rancho: El Oro".

Here's some SS from the map im workin in:

no fps drops so far as my last map..lol

now i need to know about the fog and the falling effect used on Coyote Bluff to make some test. :D

EDIT by Pardner: made thumbnail image
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Pardner » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:07 pm

MachoBastard wrote:now i need to know about the fog and the falling effect used on Coyote Bluff to make some test. :D

http://bubba.planetquake.gamespy.com/fog1.html
http://bubba.planetquake.gamespy.com/sound.html

There are a lot of tutorials on Q3 mapping. To make a falling sound you need to create a trigger_multiple, then point it to the trigger_sound. To kill the player create a trigger hurt w/ 100% damage.

From your previous post, fog may or may not be working. I dont think any present maps use fog. I will test this tonight when I have more time. We may need to update our shader file.

Macho: could you reduce the size of your signature? its quite large and is difficult to read your posts
Pardner
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:13 pm

ok, but this tutorial doesnt cover the genre distinction for falling sound... will the sound be centered on the invoking player?..or will it play where the speaker its placed?.. theres only a few info about this.. :|
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel