With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Postby Pardner » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:50 pm

you need to create a mapname.cfg file and place it in the maps dir with your .bsp, .aas, .tex files.

here is an example cfg file
Code: Select all
{
   map      "dm_NoNameCity"
   author           "Pardner"
        longname   "No Name City"
   desc_line1   "-------------------------------"
   desc_line2   "DM, TDM, RTP Game Modes"
   desc_line3   "-------------------------------"
   desc_line4      "No Rules, No Laws, No Name"
}
Pardner
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:10 pm

will the "dm_" prefix restrict the map usage strictly for DM?, coz i dont think im makin maps for BR or other Game modes. :D

btw, if u shoot as fast as u answer my newbie questions, ill definitely never play a game against SG staff.. lol 8)
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Pardner » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:35 pm

DM_ restricts the map to DM, RTP, and TDM gametypes. If you want to have bank robbery, you will need to make a another .map file (just save-as br_mapname) and then add a few more br_ specific entities

Hmmmmm i cant seem to find our bank robbery tutorial!!!! What you can do until the tutorial gets posted/reposted is open the br_test1.map that came in the map tools package and look at how the dm_test1 was converted into br_test1

MachoBastard wrote:btw, if u shoot as fast as u answer my newbie questions, ill definitely never play a game against SG staff.. lol 8)

We are faster if you wanted to talk to us in real time. There is a Teamspeak channel and an IRC channel:

http://embed.mibbit.com/?server=irc.fre ... smokinguns
Pardner
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:17 pm

ok, works, my map appears on my map list, but when i try to open it it says theres no "dm_barriles.bsp" and .tex, the map dm_barriles its on my maps folder, do i need to repack into .pk3 for it to work?, and how do i add a preview ss to my map on the list? :D
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Pardner » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:52 pm

you probable need to change to a non-pure server:

/set sv_pure 0

then you should be able to run your map. This is only because your map is not packaged into a pk3. When you plan to release your map you will need to package your map into pk3. Then players will not need to /set sv_pure 0

here is a link to Bubba's packing tutorial:
http://bubba.planetquake.gamespy.com/pk3.html
Pardner
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:53 pm

howdy cowkillers, just gettin my final details on my map and ai related stuff, ive a doubt, should i worry about any of these thousand warnings from bspc.exe? :?

Los Barriles BSPC Log

if ur so kind to give a fast-look to this log.. :D
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Breli » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:08 pm

Hi,

No. Don't worry about any of that. Its normal. You may get bot stutter with a huge number of bots on slower machines since your map is basically one navigation cluster but, for know, forget about that too:D

Looks like you're about to give us a sneak peek?

Cheers

Breli
Last edited by Breli on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:14 pm

yeah...was about to send my map to red..but found some weird errors after botcliping and weapon clipping some brushes... first, theres a water hole somewhere, from the edge of the hole to the water theres only about 1 grid unit, but my cowboy just wont jump out of the water! :x thats weird coz it used to work before even with 3 grid units...this happened after i bot clipped this places, any ideas?.. :|
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Breli » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:19 pm

sorry, no ideas this time. we had problems with exiting the water since we used the new compiler. dunno what the issue really is maybe I am just imaging things. I vaguely remember a similar problem during the redesign of Canyon.

Maybe one advice: try to increase (!) the height difference a little. Mabye the code needs something more substantial to hold on to :roll: .... Otherwise you can try our common "rope or plank" trick

Breli
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:59 pm

Weird.. anyways thanks for ur tips, i used my own "ramp trick", lol, oh..one last thing before i post my map for the sg staff, the damn preview screenshot, how do i add mine for my map?.. :D
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:31 pm

Spectator mode
cg_draw2d 0
Find a nice position to take a picture
F11

The screenshot needs to be a jpg & goes into the levelshots folder.
All of the stock map shots are 1024X768 & reduced in color by about 90% to give an "old timey" feel, but make yours however you like.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:15 pm

ok, heres a pre-release for the sg staff, need the expert's opinion :D

Rancho Los Barriles

it still needs some work on the BSP Cuts...and some other stuff.. :|
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Breli » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:48 pm

This map is 8O HUGE 8O

The map can easily host 15 players! A cool and unique bauhaus design. Certainly something different than anything we've got so far! I noticed some sparklies and other minor things but other than that: what about making a second map :lol: :wink:

I like it! Very well done for an SG premiere!

Cheers

Breli

Breli
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:51 pm

Looking forward to seeing this when I get home from work today. 8)

For players browsing this forum, please do not host this on a server! This is not an official release!
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:47 am

Please let me clarify. I meant to say, please don't host this on a PUBLIC server. Trust me, we've had problems in the past. :wink:

First of all, not a bad looking layout! :) But I did run into some problems regarding fps drops & player movement in places. Overall, the map is fairly well done. I tip my hat to you for a such a first effort in SG level design. 8) (I haven't tested with bots yet, so no comments about that.)

It would be nice to walk around in this map with you to show you some things I discovered that could use some improvement if you have time. (Don't worry, most of my complaints are minor & I only express my opinions.) It would also be nice to check the .map in Radiant to see if anything extra could be done to help with optimizations. (email) But that's up to you of course.

Good effort MachoBastard. This isn't far from being a test candidate imho. A few tweaks & we should put this on a test server soon to get public feedback.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

PreviousNext

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel