With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:18 pm

MAX_MAPFILE_PLANES explained here. I'm guessing it's your method of clipping the models with a shader? I always just clip mine with weaponclip brushes.

Screenshots look nice & unique!
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:34 pm

hmm..im just using some prefabs you sent me, "dead conifer" i think, no models at all, everythin made with detail brushes.. :? i kinda dont understand this "BSPC needs to be updated with larger allowable values for planes, brush sides, etc."
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:49 pm

Oh, ok. That prefab is is made from patches so that would explain the error. Delete as many as you can & use the .ase model for it instead. The drawback to that is you will be able to walk through the models unless you weaponclip them.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:22 am

I see, didnt know prefabs will cause errors too.. :? red,will you be so kind to send me some more prefabs, including some barrrels?, ill be uploading more maps soon :D
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby MachoBastard » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:06 am

howdy cowkillers, got a little problem, on one of my last maps im about to release for the sg staff somethin weird happened, since the name of the place its "Ghost town: El Oro"was sort of creepy, lol..
screenshot
the damn bot fly around when theres a bot clipping area at hyperspeed.. 8O

isnt bot clip supposed to be just ignored by bots?..do i need to bot clip exactly every place i dont want bots to enter?.. :?
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby /dev/random » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:07 am

RTFM :D
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MachoBastard » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:47 pm

ok...theres some stuff i dont understand about this... but ill try to fix my map, anyways i compiled my pre-release for sg staff of Ghost town, and added the levelshot the info in mapname.cfg..but when i click on my map on the list the game crashes and the console returns

"Requested feature was omitted at compile time" :?

it was compiled with the same settings as Rancho: Los Barriles..-meta-vis-light-patchshadows then aas and then ai ingame.. :(
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Pardner » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:25 pm

MachoBastard wrote:"Requested feature was omitted at compile time"

That means you have a bad custom texture. Open any of your custom textures in MS paint and then "save-as" over them. I use PhotoImpact7 and for some reason when I create new jpg files, it saves them in a format that the Q3 engine cannot use. :|
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:44 pm

MachoBastard wrote:I see, didnt know prefabs will cause errors too..

They won't. UNLESS they are made of patches & you try to use too many, as you found out. :wink:
MachoBastard wrote:red,will you be so kind to send me some more prefabs, including some barrrels

Sure, but my barrels are made of patches. Don't over do it again!
MachoBastard wrote:isnt bot clip supposed to be just ignored by bots?

Nope. Bots see botclip as a solid material that they cannot pass through. For example, if you don't want them in a certain building you could put botclip that goes from the ground to the sky over the entire structure. Bots see that as a massive column & just go around it. During compile, anything inside that area is ignored resulting in a smaller & more efficient .aas file. The simpler the map looks to bots, the better they generally act. I learned almost everything I know about botclip from the link posted by /dev/random several posts above. Read it 20 times if you have to!
If your bots look like they are "ice skating" that's because they are trying to walk on a botclipped surface. I never use it for surfaces that can be walked on.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:58 pm

ok, thanks a lot for the info red..but now i got some annoying error when compiling AAS, MAX_POINTS_ON_WINDING, looked on google, but it says it has to do with the vertices brushes unions, its max its 64 according to this..but y the error only shows up on bspc aas compile, the error has to do with the botclipping brushes? means ive to leave some space between em?..kind of doesnt make sense to me.. :?
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby /dev/random » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:41 am

Pardner wrote: I use PhotoImpact7 and for some reason when I create new jpg files, it saves them in a format that the Q3 engine cannot use. :|

Iirc Q3 doesn't like progressive jpeg.

KatsBits wrote:A : I've found a solution to the MAX_POINTS_ON_WINDING error, and it doesn't involve deleting any brushes. Use the -meta switch in your BSP compile, and the error doesn't pop up. Don't know why, don't know how, just know that it works.

And this one.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MachoBastard » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:28 am

yeah..i figured out about the jpeg format... the problem with the aas compile its that..im already using -meta.. :?

i use these switches for all my maps:

Code: Select all
cd C:/Program files/Smokin' Guns/
"smokinguns\compiler\q3map2.exe" -meta -fs_basepath "C:\Program files\Smokin' Guns" "smokinguns\maps\dm_gchurch.map"
"smokinguns\compiler\q3map2.exe" -vis -fs_basepath "C:\Program files\Smokin' Guns" "smokinguns\maps\dm_gchurch.bsp"
"smokinguns\compiler\q3map2.exe" -light -patchshadows -fs_basepath "C:\Program files\Smokin' Guns" "smokinguns\maps\dm_gchurch.bsp"
pause
smokinguns.exe +sv_pure 0 +devmap dm_gchurch
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Pardner » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:43 am

That looks like a good compile script. Should work everytime.

With all these compile errors that your getting, how is the frame rate on your maps?
Pardner
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:49 am

the fps in Ghost Town El Oro are minimal, barely notice it with 5~10+ bots, on Ruined Church, its not as big as the first map, so the fps dont drop, at least not in my pc.. :?
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby MachoBastard » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:43 am

anyways, heres one of em as a pre-release for sg staff, the concept ended up not exactly as i wanted.. but after all im lookin for practice before mapping for real, lol :D

Ghost Town : El Oro

hope to hear your opinion guys :)
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel