With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Postby Joe Kari » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Hey, on my computer, compiling Alamo for release (VIS+light+bounce+bspc) take 4 or 5 hours :D
A simple compile (just fast-light) take around 20 minutes.

I don't understand exactly what you mean in your last post, you talk about brushes and static+_cs ? Do you say you have turning some brushes into func_static ? If so, I wonder why you need exactly them, the main interest of func_static is for conditionnal stuff: if you want some stuff to be present in DM but not in RTP for example (except if you have got an SVN build where you can use farclipping and level of detail with func_static ;) ). There is also good chance that func_static (because they are "entity") could cause a slight performance drop in comparison with brush in the worldspawn (only in the physical engine, so server side). And lastly, you should be aware that entity are not VIS-blocker.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:43 pm

5 hours?.. :? , ic, its just that i turned my surroundin mountains into func_static and added "_cs" key and the compiling time was like 3 or 4 times faster, coz before it got stuck on PassagePortalFlow for about 10 mins, now it takes about 2mins, and visually i dont see any diferences between static+_cs and brushes, i think im done with my map, but im now stuck with the collision...i kinda got lost in ur tutorial :? , what modelling soft should i use? ive 3dmax 9 on my pc right now, will that do it? if ur so kind to extend a bit ur tutorial explanation a bit please. :D
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Breli » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:02 pm

as a side note: the full compiles of NewTown and DawnFort took about 15-18 hours each (-light -fast -patchshadows -samples 2 -super 2 -bounce 2 -dirty) on my Notebook (1GB Ram, 1,86 GHz CPU).

Its just the way it is ;)
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Okey... You are probably not aware about detail and structural brushes, and about the VIS stage. I'm sure your mountain was structural. BTW all entity are "detail". So if you want to reduce your compile time, without having side-effect of making it func_static, just move it to the worldspawn again, and turn it to "detail brush" (Ctrl-M in GTKRadiant 1.4, you can turn it back to "structural brush" with Ctrl-Shift-S).

You should read carefully this tutorial (stage 2 VIS):
viewtopic.php?t=987

If you want to know all the side-effect of the VIS-stage, read this:
viewtopic.php?t=1504
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:20 am

Yeah, ive read that already, but how do i know which brushes ive transformed into "detail"? i see that nowhere, also i asked u for more detailed information about your method for adding collision with wood_clip shader not about the func_static and brushes :P coz i kinda got lost, or is there some way to turn models into brushes or sumthin like that?, and what modelling program do u suggest i use for adding your wood_clip shader?.

btw, thanks for all the tips and help, im new to GTKR, not to mapping itself. :wink:
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby L3th4l » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:20 am

MachoBastard wrote:Yeah, ive read that already, but how do i know which brushes ive transformed into "detail"? i see that nowhere

ctrl + D will hide/show your detail brushes. :wink:

You can turn brush work into ASE models using q3map2 and add the clipping that way. All the ASE models in the map pack were made from brush work.

Simply add 'q3map_clipModel' to your model shader.

textures/terrain/hew_rock01_clip_128
{
qer_editorimage textures/terrain/rock01_thumb_clip128.tga
tesssize 128
q3map_clipModel
q3map_vertexshadows
q3map_lightmapsamplesize 24
{
map textures/terrain/rock01_tex.tga
rgbGen Vertex
alphaGen Vertex
}
{
map $lightmap
blendfunc filter
tcGen lightmap
}
}

If the model isn't clipped already you will have to clip it manually, There is no way to turn models back into brushes.
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MachoBastard » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:40 pm

Ok!!...q3map_clipModel...ive no idea were to add that code.. got even more lost.. :P

oh, and i got a warning msg: sayin "XX model got no model key", do anyone know whats that?.

this collision clipping thing its drivin me crazy.. lol.
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Breli » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:53 pm

try to clip the models manually by using weapon or player clips. thats the easiest thing to do. You have to create special shaders for the textures in your model if you want to use the more elegant method from Joe Kari.

Keep it simple for now and let us see where you are going ;)

Breli
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:04 pm

Just thought I'd mention that using q3map_clipModel can cause a serious performance hit in some cases. I've always just weapon clipped my models but I intend to check out Joe's method sometime.
and i got a warning msg: sayin "XX model got no model key", do anyone know whats that?.

Most likely, you won't even see the model in Radiant. You'll probably only be able to see the little wire-frame box where the model should be. Find & delete it then reinsert the model again.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:52 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Just thought I'd mention that using q3map_clipModel can cause a serious performance hit in some cases. I've always just weapon clipped my models

Yes, if you over do it or use it on high poly count models it will hurt performance for people with slow ass computers :lol:

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:but I intend to check out Joe's method sometime.

Good to use on models that you should be able to shoot through, not so good for rocks, trees, ect.. :wink:

Like breli said, Just clip your models manually, it's the easiest way..
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MachoBastard » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:57 am

Howdy to all the cow killers! been workin on my first map on GTKR and im almost done with visuals, yeah..im still gettin into the rest of the clipping, from now on ill kick all the cactus i see in my life, its a damn buttache to clip em nicely.

My map is based on "Rancho Los Barriles" some km's away from where i live, so heres a lil' preview: 8)

Many of the objects will be breakable, to give some sort of realism.

Horsies, a Farm and some other stuff.

Sorry about the bad imgs quality but turned off lots of details while im mapping. :|

btw, im still gettin the "models key" warning,but honestly i see no missing models at all.

thanks to all the cowboys for the help, now i need to get practice on GTKR! :D
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Breli » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi,

Thats looks cool! PLEASE PLEASE dont delete the cactus! You don't have to clip 'em nicely! In fact, the whole point of the model excercise is to keep the structural complexity low! That helps to save a FPS or two!

Just make a rough! clipping template out of weapon clip for one of the cactus and simply copy the whole thing to the other cactus. Takes a few minutes but it will be worth the trouble ;)

Clip like this:

[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/316_clipping_the_cactus_1.jpg][timg]316_clipping_the_cactus_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]

Once you have done that for all the cactus you are using you can simply copy the clips and move it the other cactus in your map. Even rotating isn't a problem if you have primitive shapes!

We are in business then 8)

edit: I fell victim to the U-declination again and corrected it. However, how many native latin speakers are reading in here anyway :lol:

Breli
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:34 pm

omg, i was already done with the visuals and the collisions, only ai path nodes left, compiled about 25 mins and then i got the msg in game "max_submodels exceeded" :( ...how do i fix that thing?..
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Breli » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:25 pm

hmmm ... can you post a screenshot\log entry with the exact error message? How many misc_model entities do you actually have (check Radiant menu Edit -> Map info)? As a point of reference: NewTown contains 120+ models with no problem at all. Judging from your screeeies I guess you are well below that. Maybe you screwed your entity structure somehow?

Breli
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:31 pm

oh..so is that, ive 321 lol :D , didnt know there were a limit that kinda sux, ill have to delete some and improvise with some brushes and stuff, bye bye farm :|
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel