With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Map Ideas

Postby Redwing » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:46 pm

I've tried and failed to figure out what the heck I'm doing in GtK Radiant, so I think I'll just post the map ideas I had here. Maybe someone will like one enough to make it? I figure this could be a good place for map makers to go for inspiration.

My first idea was a 'funhouse'. Not necessarily a thematic Western locale, but it would be... well, just fun. Signs on the walls would give suggested strategies. For instance, there would be a T-shaped hallway, with one 'leg' having a dead end. At the end, there is a picture of a gatling gun on the wall (an engraved wood panel would be preferable). So, the strategy would be to buy a gat and set up on that hallway junction. Your back is against the wall, so you could just worry about shooting others on that hall. However, one floor above, there is a hole in the ground directly above the gat. That hole is not big enough for a person, but it is labeled with a stick of dynamite and a downward-pointing arrow. I'm sure you can see how that would be used.

My second idea was Train Junction. A wide expanse of flat land with several sets of tracks running parallel and a medium-sized train depot building near the middle. Plenty of cargo cover around, too. The trick to this map would be that every once in a while a train barrels through on one of the track sets, killing any lawman or bandit unfortunate enough to be standing there. Not only would players be fighting each other, but they'd have to be aware of their environment. I admit I'm not too sure of the feasibility of this idea given the tools you have, because as I said I wasn't able to learn them very well. Perhaps if it's possible, a train could stop at the depot every once in a while-- loaded with money. Players dash to take the train and the wealth inside, but if you get caught in the train as it moves off again, you're a dead man...

Anyone else with ideas could post them here too. Although, I'm sure those who can map are very busy already.
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Re: Map Ideas

Postby DeUgli » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:41 am

Redwing wrote:Anyone else with ideas could post them here too. Although, I'm sure those who can map are very busy already.
I would like to see a sniper map similar to one that was done for MOH:AA (I think it was.) That map had two ridges with a river between them, and a bridge. Fun for tdm.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Re: Map Ideas

Postby Redwing » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:17 am

DeUgli wrote:
Redwing wrote:Anyone else with ideas could post them here too. Although, I'm sure those who can map are very busy already.
I would like to see a sniper map similar to one that was done for MOH:AA (I think it was.) That map had two ridges with a river between them, and a bridge. Fun for tdm.

Sounds like a map in America's Army as well.

You reminded me of another idea, although this one is very vague. A BR map in which there is a "burning bridge" of sorts... The wooden platform used to reach the vault is destroyed by the dynamite used to blow the vault open. So, after you get the money, you can't take the same path back--- you have to go deeper into the level and work around back to your safe zone. This makes it so that you can have the money right out of the robber's spawn point, but they have to go through the defenders to get the bag back. Since there would be two bags, you decide on two runners and then the whole team has to work to get them back to spawn. I think it greatly alters the way one would play BR. The only thing to look out for is people cheating and somehow getting straight back to the spawn-- it would be necessary to make sure the bridge was destroyed and there was not feasible way back.
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby sparcdr » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:17 am

I'd like to see this sometime... all of us 4 coders (torhu, tequila, joe and myself) still making occasional work will take a look at proposed code, if you'd like to share it we certainly would only benefit from such a gesture of transparency.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Redwing » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:19 pm

sparcdr wrote:I'd like to see this sometime... all of us 4 coders (torhu, tequila, joe and myself) still making occasional work will take a look at proposed code, if you'd like to share it we certainly would only benefit from such a gesture of transparency.

Not sure I understand... for the record I'm no coder, I only have ideas. So there's not much more to share. All of my ideas are just map designs.
DeviantArt|Music
Redwing
Shootist

Postby sparcdr » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:53 pm

Okay sorry for the confusion. ReD, Joe and Coup George do the mapping.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Redwing » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:36 am

Just had another idea for some epic BR. After stealing the money at the top of a tower, the thief has to jump out of the hole he blasted in the wall and fall several stories into the water below! Perhaps he then chooses one of a few underwater caverns to make his way back to the drop point. Just an element you could throw into any BR map.
DeviantArt|Music
Redwing
Shootist

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel