With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Postby Pardner » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:46 pm

Have you tried this tutorial:
viewtopic.php?t=1491
If you are using windows, GTK Radiant 1.4 is your best bet. Unfortunately, Bubba's Arena website is no longer hosted by the Planet :( Bubba was the best for beginner mapping.

I highly recomend following that tutorial and compiling the included "dm_test1.map" <-- That map has all the entites needed for making a Smokin' Guns map.

Also, join our IRC channel if you would like help in real time. I understand English is not your first language, but we are understanding and there are some German speakers on the channel as well.

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=smokinguns

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:28 pm

Download and install the following in the following order. Do not run anything until everything is installed (GTK Radiant will not run until you have install the SG Tools):
    GTK Radiant
    • This is the actual level editor. Do not use the compiler that comes in it installation!!
    • Follow the tutorial I posted to get it installed
    • Do not try to run until you have installed the Smokin' Guns Mapping Tools
    Q3 Map2 Toolz
    • This is a GUI front end to the q3map2.exe compilier.
    • This is not necessary program. You can also use windows batch files.
    • Used to call the compiler and compile your maps.
    Smokin' Guns Mapping Tools
    • Includes necessary files to make GTK Radiant 1.4 , Zero Radiant, and Q3Map2Toolz work correctly for the standalone of Smokin' Guns
    • Also include the correct compiler for Smokin' Guns
    • Includes all ASE models used in SG maps
    • Includes two test maps "dm_test1.map" and "br_test1.map" Please compile these before attempting to make/compile your own map.

Getting the tools set up is probably the hardest part of mapping. The mapping part is the easiest form of video game modding. Making maps is easy, making good maps is hard. Keep at it! You will get it.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:43 am

Pardner wrote:Making maps is easy, making good maps is hard.

I couldn't agree more. Best of luck & read many tutorials! If you want to create a good map, don't ever give up.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:59 pm

Good. I hope everything is working for you. Remember, feel free to post here if you need any more help. It is too bad that Bubba's Arena site is down. He had the best "into to Q3 mapping" around.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:13 pm

Haris2201 wrote:By my friend it doesn't functions.
He has Windows Vista.
If tried to load GTKRadiant by him and it shows a black window.
WHY???

Yes, I am having the same problem with my laptop with vista. What does your friend have for computer hardware? I can get a GTK Radiant 1.5 package together for you, but honestly I do not like 1.5 at all.

If your friend finds a fix, I would love to get Radiant 1.4 working on my laptop.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:17 pm

Sounds like Radiant did not get installed properly. Soemthing could have gone wrong in installing Radiant or, something went wrong when installing sg_mapping_toolz_v2.zip.

Because Radiant is launching, I am guessing something went wrong with installing the zip file. I would try installing the zip file again, so don't have to delete anything just copy over the files:

1. Extract sg_mapping_toolz.zip to your desktop.
  2. Open the newly extracted sg_mapping_toolz folder.
  3. Copy or move the GtkRadiant-1.4 folder to "C:\Program Files\" and select YES if asked to overwrite.
    **NOTE**: If your path differs from C:\Program Files then you'll have to open "*/GtkRadiant-1.4/games/sg.game" with a text editor (like Notepad or Wordpad) and fix the paths to your directory. Don't forget to SAVE in your text editor.
  4. Copy or move the smokinguns folder to "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns" and select YES if asked to overwrite.
  5. Copy or move the Q3Map2 Toolz folder to "C:\Program Files" and select YES if asked to overwrite.

Pay special attention to the "**NOTE**" because if you do not have sg.game correctly pointing to your Smokin' Guns directory, you will get a "Synpase server initialization failed (see console)" error.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:51 pm

You can create your own textures simply by making a jpg or a tga and placing it in "*/Smokin' Guns/smokinguns/textures/sg_yourmapname"

then when you are in the editor, you just need to look under "sg/sg_yourmapname"
Pardner
SG Team

Next

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel