With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Postby Pardner » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:52 am

Rct. Tsoul wrote:Yes I can select a game like Star Trek Voyager Elite Force that I dont have and point that to my Smokin Guns folder

That may not work. You will need to have the Smokin' Guns entities found in that download I pointed you to. Star Trek Voyager Elite is build off the Q3 engine, but the entities are not the same. You really need to create a new game type in Quark. Again, I have not used quark, but look around the Quark directory and copy all the Q3 related stuff, then rename to Smokin' Guns. This is what the SG team did for the Radiant 1.4 tools.

Rct. Tsoul wrote:I will try to compile the test maps supplied for Radiant in Quark, if the map works then I should be good, and I can just copy entities from the test maps and use them as needed.

you will need to use the q3map2.exe suplied in the mapping tools. This is a modified Q3 compilier. This is totally independant from the editor. Editors like radiant can be hacked to point to the q3map2.exe supplied in our tools tutorial. Compiling with any other compilier will not work. Here is a tutorial to the two ways the SG team recommends compiling maps: both are completely independant from the editor.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Rct. Tsoul » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:58 am

Quark will indeed work with Smokin Guns, the main Admins at the official Quark message boards needs one of you guys to make that knows Smokin Guns to volunteer to make them, I am sure once you make contact with them they would tell you what needs to be done to simply choose Smokin Guns from the game menu within Quark, I would volunteer for this but I dont know HOW level editors work, I just know that they do. Please goto this link below and make contact with them in the message boards and they will be watchin that thread.
http://quark.sourceforge.net/forums/ind ... opic=406.0
Rct. Tsoul
Pistolero

Postby Pardner » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 am

Rct. Tsoul wrote:I am sure once you make contact with them they would tell you what needs to be done to simply choose Smokin Guns from the game menu within Quark

I have downloaded and installed Quark. After a quick look through of the file structure, modifying the Q3 files and renaming is all you need to do. The downside is that the entities definition are nowhere similar to Radiant definitions. So in order to get Smokin' Guns working with Quark, someone (apparently the dev team) must re-write our Radiant entity file to match the structure of Quark. That would take some time and effort.

The rest of the Q3 files simply need to be modified to point to "smokinguns" instead of "baseq3" (being very modest). But here is the deal, we have many tutorials on how to set up Radiant to work with the game. The current dev members are very happy with using Radiant. So far, you are the only one who has tried to use Quark. If you are really set on using Quark, then you will need to learn how level editors work.

Possibly in the future I can get a working Quark project file together, but I don't think it will be soon enough for you. So you have three options:
1) Use Radiant
2) Learn how to modify Quark yourself
3)Build all your structure and detail in Quark using the Q3 options, then open the map in Radiant and add the entities.

wayfarer wrote:Watching the thread here, boss....

Check your email (the one you registered on the forum with), hope it helps.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:10 pm

Eek, seems like Quark won't work well with Linux. At least, I'm not eager to somewhat cross-compile it or use Wine.
Anyways, did you see this?

P.S.: If you decide to use Radiant, why don't you try NetRadiant?

@wayfarer
Recommending NetRadiant as well. Take a look at my World of Padman version to see how the gamepack is made. You should only need to adjust a few paths.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby wayfarer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:28 pm

Folks,

Mentioned, in passing, the barrage of errors I was getting starting up Linux versions of gtkRadiant and its descendant, NetRadiant. Well, I discovered the errors were related to a version mismatch in the gtk-toolkit used by Ubuntu 9.10 and as opposed to it's predecessors. So, here's a link to a version compiled to use the newer toolkit:

http://ingar.satgnu.net/gtkradiant/

Don't be afraid of the "tar.gz" format. It's simply a compressed version of the installed program. The instructions for "where" and "how" are on the site above.
wayfarer
Drifter

Postby wayfarer » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:48 am

Been exploring NetRadiant and found that it starts in Smokin' Guns with an error about a missing file: shadertags.xml. I found another one for "et.game" on my system and perused it only to find that it was several thousand lines long. It appears to direct the user to the various textures while labeling them for easy ID.

Do I need this file? Is it available from some source? Do I need to write one for myself?

I guess I'm the "Ghost of Christmas Bother."

Grinnin' and watchin' here, boss.
wayfarer
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:47 am

wayfarer wrote:Do I need this file? Is it available from some source? Do I need to write one for myself?

You're a pioneer in SG level design with regards to NetRadiant I'm afraid. Did you have a look at /dev/random's WoP pack for clues? SG shouldn't need anything that WoP doesn't, afaik.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:53 pm

The only problem is; I do not map :D
shadertags.xml is not needed, it can be used as an alternatibe to shaderlist.txt as far as I know.
There is a plugin which should be able to create it; Plugins->ShaderPlug->Create tag file.

Be aware that my package contains q3map2 in an customized version for World of Padman, but it won't work with Smokin' Guns. If there is some sort of .diff or hints about what has been changed, I might aswell add the SG patch into "my" q3map2. It might be a good idea to bundle the Smokin' Guns mapping package as well, but I'm not able to download it right now. The one listed in the download section yields an "Error in your request" and searching for the file on FilePlanet doesn't yield usable results :(

Edit: http://www.moddb.com/games/smokin-guns/ ... oolz-v2zip but this seems to be "outdated"?

Edit2: Found that you've posted the costumized q3map2 once including sources, but it's download doesn't work anymore :?
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:00 pm

FilePlanet pulled a fast one on us. :roll:
The links in our download section should be corrected today or tomorrow. As for the moddb link, I was thinking v2 should be the last map tools release.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:35 pm

ModDB says v2.0, whereas the one in the download section is labeled v2.1

Here is where q3map2's code is mentioned. Any chances to find the archive again?
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:54 pm

/dev/random wrote:ModDB says v2.0, whereas the one in the download section is labeled v2.1

Here is where q3map2's code is mentioned. Any chances to find the archive again?

Hmmm. I'll search my hard drive when I get home tonight. I should have it somewhere.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:58 am

Sadly, I couldn't find a v2.1 on my drive for the map tools package. (I'm sure I have it installed, just can't find the zipped package.) Maybe Pardner can help us with this. Btw, he's planning a new package for the 1.1 official release.

But I did find our q3map2 sources. You can get it here now:
http://www.mediafire.com/?3mzumiizctm
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:23 am

The only difference between 2.0 and 2.1 of the map tools is 2.1 includes files for Zero Radiant.
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby /dev/random » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:05 pm

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I've got a somewhat related question.

I've taken a look at the modified q3map2 source and the main difference is the creation of a .tex file. Now what is this good for? According to the game's code, it is being loaded by the server (huh? at least a comment states 'not used anymore') and the client. Judging by the variable names, it will overwrite colors of certain shaders. From the modified q3map2 code it also seems that this depends on certain predefined keywords for shaders.
Is this (still) needed? I'm no mapper at all, so I can't really tell.

The remaining modifications concern surfaceflags. These could either be incorporated into q3map2 or one could use the -custinfoparms parameter with a stock q3map2.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Pardner » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:16 pm

The tex file allows for the ladders to work. I thought this to be kinda silly in the past but I haven't pushed the issue because our coders seem to have a lot of stuff going on right now.

As you can see from this tutorial, ladders are created from a "common/ladder" shader. I think it might be easier to have a trigger_multiple point to a new target entity called something like a "target_ladder" Maybe this can be fixed in an upcomming release when Tequila, Torhu, or somebody has time to rework the q3map2.exe, the game code, and of course the maps will need updating. (the mapping package already needs work to include the new shooter entities
Last edited by Pardner on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pardner
SG Team

PreviousNext

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel