With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Postby Tequila » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:13 pm

/dev/random wrote:I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I've got a somewhat related question.

I've taken a look at the modified q3map2 source and the main difference is the creation of a .tex file. Now what is this good for? According to the game's code, it is being loaded by the server (huh? at least a comment states 'not used anymore') and the client. Judging by the variable names, it will overwrite colors of certain shaders. From the modified q3map2 code it also seems that this depends on certain predefined keywords for shaders.
Is this (still) needed? I'm no mapper at all, so I can't really tell.

The remaining modifications concern surfaceflags. These could either be incorporated into q3map2 or one could use the -custinfoparms parameter with a stock q3map2.

colors are not used anymore, but surfaceflags is really heavily used...
And to respond to Pardner, the "surfaceparm ladder" set to the "common/ladder" shader will be read from the tex file... Btw, this flag is read thanks to a trace call... This maybe why the engine is doing so much "trace" calls: just check if you are near a surface with specific flags...
Pardner request is maybe the way to fix that trace overhead, but effectively this could be another huge but welcome work for our loved game ;)
Pardner, can you fill a feature request for the future ?
Thanks ;)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:13 pm

If I get you right, surface flags are re-applied using the .tex file?
Shouldn't it be enough to have "surfaceparm ladder" in your shader, since q3map2 will add this to the surface (given that it knows about #define SURF_LADDER ), which is then usable in a trace function call?

If this is the indented behaviour, one should simply have included game_wq3.h back in those days (or -custinfoparms, as mentioned) :D
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Pardner » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:27 am

Tequila wrote:Pardner, can you fill a feature request for the future ?
Thanks ;)

Writing this to remind myself to do so if it hasn't been done already.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:34 am

:D
Don't forget to discuss too, you always give me good ideas ;)

@/dev/random:
.tex file seems to be only used by the "game" code... as this part can't access what the renderer loaded from the shader scripts... I know you know the "game" code is not intended to be run with the "renderer" code.
But I'm starting to think the "game" code should better read shader scripts ;)
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby SolidFake » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:37 pm

does netradiant work without any problems?
Because I'm a custom mapper for the free fps game Warsow on the quake fusion engine, where I'm using netradiant as my main editor and I thought about making some small maps in the far future...
SolidFake
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:30 am

I am not sure, but I would imagine so. I have not used netradiant, but it does support Q3 maps. You will still need to load our entities.def and compile your maps using our q3map2.exe compilier.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby SolidFake » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:30 am

does your q3map2.exe differ from the one if the netradiant folder?
SolidFake
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:04 am

SolidFake wrote:does your q3map2.exe differ from the one if the netradiant folder?

YES
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:20 am

Pardner wrote:A q3map2.exe compiler (which was installed by Radiant) may be found in "C:\Program Files\GtkRadiant-1.4" but this compiler does not support the entities needed to make a Smokin' Guns map. You will need to use the compiler that is included in our package to compile. There are many ways to use this compiler, but I will cover two ways in this tutorial....

viewtopic.php?t=1491#compile
Pardner
SG Team

Postby SolidFake » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:11 pm

k, thanks, will take a further look into it the next days
SolidFake
Drifter

Previous

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel