With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Map port from RtCW: Wild West

Postby zivs » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:31 am

Finally registered here! 8)

Anyway, wanted to ask - how easy/hard could be porting of a Wild West map to Smokin' Guns? For what should i should be prepared, converting it from one game to another? Keeping in mind that I'm pretty much loser when it comes to scripts and scripting even basic things ...

Lately (along with hundreds of ideas around mapping for RtCW:WW) was playing with another silly idea of converting my Saloon: The Duels map to Smokin' Guns, as it seem to be once again chance for me as a "detail freak" to expand even more and further (as much as I love WW, it seem to have some limits with lights, effects, level of detail ...) :)
zivs
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:36 am

Howdy and welcome,

What did you use to create your map? I think you can make RTCW maps in Radiant... might be wrong. If you used Radiant, then you are in luck. You probably can open the .map file, retexture, replace the entities, save, and compile.

Here is a tutorial for getting GTK Radiant 1.4 set up for Smokin' Guns:
viewtopic.php?t=1491

Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:53 am

Howdy & welcome from the WW territory! Great mod btw, & I have it installed for years now. :wink: Too bad I'm too busy to be active in WW these days. How is BITEME doing?

Pardner's list is the easy stuff. (No offense Pard!) The hard parts would be gameplay, scale & performance. If the player models differ in scale, problem #1.
WW maps were generally designed with multiple objectives in mind. That's something that doesn't exist in our Q3 based game so far. Also, as I'm sure you are aware, RTCW is a more advanced version of the Q3 engine with some scripting advantages & static model motion. Hard to say how a port would work out untill someone tries it, to be honest. You might have to "simplify" the level to make it work well in SG, but we can't know untill you try.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby zivs » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:28 pm

hey,

Pardner, I used 1.5 Radiant for mapping (not 1.4, as it have some small issues with extra small details)

ReD, BITEME is doing fine I guess - lately WW (and especially on his server!) have gained some more attention - several old players return, pretty much new players come and so on ... :)

What comes to my map, it's simple one objective map (coded by Ringo) which is "grab the objective and take it to the secure point", so no really advanced code fetish there I guess.

Is it possible to make 1.5 Radiant SG friendly or would it be better to use older version for mapping? I know WW is supposed to be worked with 1.4 and below, but I somehow can't stand working with older software! :)
zivs
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:19 pm

zivs wrote:Is it possible to make 1.5 Radiant SG friendly or would it be better to use older version for mapping? I know WW is supposed to be worked with 1.4 and below, but I somehow can't stand working with older software! :)

I use Radiant 1.5 on my laptop, but I prefer 1.4 (see thread). I can email you my project/ .game files, I just need to get them sorted out. After the 1.1 release, I think the mappers were going to get another mapping tools package together. I was going to include 1.5 files in the package as well.
If you want to use your Radiant 1.5 right now, here is WOP's 1.5 tutorial that I used to set up my 1.5:
http://www.moddb.com/games/world-of-pad ... radiant-15
Pardner
SG Team

Postby zivs » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:04 pm

Thanks for the help'n'tips - will see what I can do a bit later (when hangover will go away)! :)
zivs
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:14 pm

zivs wrote:What comes to my map, it's simple one objective map (coded by Ringo) which is "grab the objective and take it to the secure point"

Sounds like it should be simple to convert to bank robbery mode. 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel