With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Modelling in 3DStudio Max + Level Idea (Steampunk Airship)

Postby Darkweaver » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:57 pm

hey guys. i have a copy of 3DStudioMax 2010, which i am quite competant with, however, i was wondering if there are any file formats that i can save to that will open within the program you guys use.

i am a fairly competant modeller (and a semi-competant texture artist) and will have a gap year this next educational year (september 2010 - july 2011) and id like to spend it working on SG, since ive been playing it for a couple of years now (and had a forum account for about a year, even if i rarely use it)

i mentioned a level idea i had AGES ago, and want to finally get around to working on it, but since i cant yet use Radient, since its layout is so vastly different from Maya and 3DSMax (the two programs i'm used to) i want to know if theres any common formats i can work to that i can import.

The idea i had was to model an Airship. with a heavy Steampunk feel to it. basically including multiple interior floors, an open deck on the rear end, and gangwalks on the open sides so players can get around the ship on the exterior. maybe including some new models for the existing weapons to give them a more Steampunk feel to match the map (although this is less likely to be done)

Cheers Guys,

Rob
SG Name: Cassidy
Preferred Weapons: Peacemaker, Scoped Sharps Rifle, Throwing knives
Preferred Character: Clint
Darkweaver
Pistolero

Postby Pardner » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:07 pm

Smokin' Guns used the ID Tech3 engine so you will need to save your models as MD3. Unfortunately, we are lacking experienced modelers. Joe Kari has created a new modeling tutorial here. I would give it a go with MD3 and just experiment with the results. If you run into trouble, post back here and we will help the best we can.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Darkweaver » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:52 pm

well, i think i am a competent 3D modeller. but by no means am i professional quality. i made these though:

[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/3294_title_image_1.jpg][timg]3294_title_image_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]
i could have done far better with the detail on the hands, but we had a Tri count to stick to as part of the assignment, hence him having "ball-hands"
however, although it wasnt required at the time, i also fully rigged my character for animation, mostly to use for a few portfolio show-off images. showing the character zip-lining, sniping, and performing a wall run (because everyone loves wall runs! haha)

[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/3294_Character_Texture_done_1.jpg][timg]3294_Character_Texture_done_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]
and thats his texture. very simple (although i personally LOVE the jeans. i ironed a pair of my own jeans, then took a photo to make the texture from. then Photoshopped it black instead of blue, and added the seams) i can do UVW Textures, its the actual colouring of them that im not quite so good with.

[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/3294_environment_render_1.jpg][timg]3294_environment_render_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]
thats an environment model i've done as part of my college course (Computer Games Design) which had a limit on textures, so some of them are quite simple (although my own lack of any great texturing skill has its part to play here too)

[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/3294_Paintball_Marker_1_1.jpg][timg]3294_Paintball_Marker_1_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]
and finally, to go with the paintballer, i modelled and textured a Paintball Marker.

thats all i have easily accessible to show at the moment, although i do have more stuff lying around

also, thanks for the link to the modelling tutorial, the program looks far more similar to 3DSMax, so i might be able to get along with it better. haha.
Darkweaver
Pistolero

Postby gunner joe » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:32 pm

i think smokin guns will need you more in weapon creating. :wink:
♥♥Sweet smell of smokin guns!♥♥
gunner joe
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:27 pm

gunner joe wrote:i think smokin guns will need you more in weapon creating. :wink:

We have wepaons. We have had looong discussions about weapon balance and got no results. Adding new weapons would only further the problem.

We are however looking for better/more player models and map objects.

also, thanks for the link to the modelling tutorial, the program looks far more similar to 3DSMax, so i might be able to get along with it better. haha.

Any modeling program can be used as long as it has a MD3 exported. I have used Milkshape and Wings3d for modeling (nothing productive).
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Darkweaver » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:40 pm

fair enough.

i have found an MD3 exporter for 3DSMax, so i'm working with it now (making a Deringer as a test model, since its sort of relevant to SG)

and i can maybe work on some player models, although i would need the bone structure beng used for an existing one to work around (since ive noticed all SG characters use the same animations and have the same bone structures) so rigging it in Max won't work... unless i make the models in max, export as MD3, then send that to someone else who can rig it for use.

whats the Poly count of the SG characters? the paintballer in my last post was made with 2966 Tri's (around 2000 polys, roughly speaking) and is considered Low Poly. i managed it with very careful Poly Placement, but if the Engine can handle higher quality models, i could, maybe, work on some stuff for you guys if i have the time to do so...
Last edited by Darkweaver on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darkweaver
Pistolero

Postby BlackMagicSS » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:21 am

Would love a young guns version of Billy The Kid. ahh that would be perfect.
BlackMagicSS
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:38 am

Darkweaver wrote:and i can maybe work on some player models, although i would need the bone structure beng used for an existing one to work around (since ive noticed all SG characters use the same animations and have the same bone structures) so rigging it in Max won't work... unless i make the models in max, export as MD3, then send that to someone else who can rig it for use.

Check your private messages.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Darkweaver » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:25 pm

i have finished modelling the basic shape of the Deringer pistol last night.

i took a final render when i finished it. its made from 2 mesh objects (the grey grip, body and hammer are made from a single primitive, and the white barrel and sight are one object, made from two prims that have been target welded to become a single mesh object)

[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/3294_render3_1.jpg][timg]3294_render3_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]

time: 2 hours 46 minutes
poly count: 637
tri count: 1308

yeah, its a high quality object considering its about the length of your hand (wrist to index fingertip) but i wanted to be a bit showy with it, as i have already shown some low-poly stuff.

it isnt textured, but it has been smoothed and has had 3-point lighting put in (however, the placing of the 3 lights has made the distinction between the grip and body of the weapon harder to distinguish...)

ps. just to clarify, although i would enjoy working on stuff (player models, etc) for you guys, i have a few prior engagements to attend to over the next couple of months (college, final major project, etc) so if i do anything for SG at the moment, it will probably be stuff for a custom level.
question though, does SG or the game engine recognise Normal Mapping/Bump Mapping textures? i have found they are a great way to simulate natural rock, mountains, hills, etc, and they work in the Unity engine, but im unsure as to whether they would work here...

cheers,

::Rob::
Last edited by Darkweaver on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkweaver
Pistolero

Postby Pardner » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:20 pm

The Deringer looks lovely!

Darkweaver wrote:question though, does SG or the game engine recognise Normal Mapping/Bump Mapping textures?

Check this thread. Plates wrote up a great tutorial
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Darkweaver » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:46 pm

thanks pardner!

also, since ive been asked by three of my mates already why the trigger is fused to the gun. it isnt a trigger, the deringer i modelled from is fired with the thumb on the hammer. its too small to use general components, so the "trigger" is actualy just a nub for the index finger to hold onto so the user can better grip the gun.

im thinking i might either add some more detail to it, or just texture it now...
Darkweaver
Pistolero

Postby Darkweaver » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:45 pm

decided to add some more details, i'll texture it later.

[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/3294_render4_1.jpg][timg]3294_render4_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]
[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/3294_render5_1.jpg][timg]3294_render5_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]

Time: 3 hours 53 minutes (in total)
Poly Count: 669
Tri Count: 1358
Darkweaver
Pistolero

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel