With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Map sources?

Postby zed » Sat May 22, 2010 1:49 pm

Are the maps of Smokin' Guns open source? Are the sources available in a repository? (I couldn't find them in https://smokinguns.svn.sourceforge.net/ ... smokinguns smokinguns ). I am interested to find out why in some maps such as dm_train, some spawn points seem to have a higher probability than others.
zed
Drifter

Re: Map sources?

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat May 22, 2010 4:10 pm

zed wrote:Are the maps of Smokin' Guns open source?

Sorry, but no.
zed wrote:I am interested to find out why in some maps such as dm_train, some spawn points seem to have a higher probability than others.

You wouldn't find the answer by looking at a maps source.
Torhu did some work years ago concerning spawnpoints. If I remember correctly, the code tries to spawn you furthest from any other players. I'm sure that's an oversimplified explanation though.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sat May 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Yes, the game will prefer spawn points that are more than 700 units away from the nearest enemy. I think 700 units is about the length of one train car. I suppose this means the spawn points close to the front and back of the train will be be chosen more often than the others.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Re: Map sources?

Postby zed » Sun May 23, 2010 12:26 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Sorry, but no.

Could you write some more information about this? I can imagine that it is difficult to re-license the artwork (because at this time, it may be unknown who created it or from what sources they were taken/derived), but the maps? Or is it an intentional decision to not open the maps?

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:You wouldn't find the answer by looking at a maps source.

My initial assumption was the existence of two classes of spawn points. However, the feature you mentioned does explain my observations on dm_train and other maps.

Unfortunately, if a certain number of players is present on maps such as dm_newtown and dm_alamo_tiny, some spawn points become overused and spawn killing becomes a winning strategy, despite the fact that those maps would offer enough room/cover for players to spawn more safely.

In my opinion, a random selection of any spawn point not in the line of sight of another player (for some time) would lead to a better experience. The current strategy could be used as a backup procedure. Aside from the question who would be implementing this, what do you think?
zed
Drifter

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel