With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Desert Blood - version 3

Postby Hideous » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:51 pm

So, a while back I got a PM about Desert Blood, asking for a reupload. But I felt like the map had one too many issues to do that - there was only one path to the top, causing the entire game to be about getting up there, and there was an exploit to get on the edge and outside the map.

Thanks to me having lots of experience with mapping for Team Fortress 2 since then, these things are fixed now, and thus I present to you Desert Blood, version 3.

Click the image to download it!

(I also learned that I absolutely hate GTKRadiant. Vertex Editing in Hammer is so much nicer.)
Hideous
Drifter

Postby SmokeyBacon » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:42 pm

I can't seem toget this to work. Am getting an error "maps/dm_tinyDesertv3 cannot be found", even though it is clearly there in the folder Smokin' Guns/smokinguns/maps.
SmokeyBacon
Shootist

Postby Hideous » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:00 pm

You should be putting the pk3 in /smokinguns, not /smokinguns/maps.
Hideous
Drifter

Re: Desert Blood - version 3

Postby Biondo » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:36 pm

Sorry, I can't find it on SG menu. Where do I have to place it (in Linux)? Do I need SG beta, or it works with SG 1?
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Hideous » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:14 pm

It should work fine in SG1 - just make sure you select Deathmatch as your gamemode.
Hideous
Drifter

Postby /dev/random » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:02 pm

Works fine here. As being said, copy the pk3 into smokinguns. You could use ~/.smokinguns/smokinguns/ under linux.

Missing textures and horrible shadows
Last edited by /dev/random on Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Biondo » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:03 pm

OK, it works. :) It's a nice small map, I think it's intended for duel ... and true, some textures are missing.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Hideous » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:41 pm

What.

The missing textures make no sense whatsoever - they're using the same textures as the other cliff walls and stuff.

And the shadows sure as hell don't look like that for me. Tried turning off sv_pure?
Hideous
Drifter

Postby Biondo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:03 pm

Hideous wrote:And the shadows sure as hell don't look like that for me. Tried turning off sv_pure?

Tried to turn off sv_pure, but...

Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Pardner » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:18 pm

sv_pure is used for two things (that I know of)
1) Preventing files being loaded that a game server doesnt have (extra maps, models, or cheats)
2) Preventing files being loaded that are not packaged in a PK3 file

So unless you didn't include files in your pk3, then sv_pure should have no effect. Make sure you included all custom textures and shader scripts. You can try launching your map with sv_pure 1 and you can see what you could be missing in your pk3. Also, are you sure you are looking at the same compilied version of the map?

I also noticed that inside the cave is missing textures and the fire shader is all tiled.

Whats odd is that I don't get a missing shader/texture warning when I launch the map:
http://pastebin.com/euSmYmc1

You may want to add some player clip around the map to prevent spectators from seeing things like this:
Image Image Image

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Hideous » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:58 pm

Thing is, I don't have any custom textures or shaders.
Hideous
Drifter

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel