With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

*New Beta Map* LAGO

Postby Pardner » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:49 am

I've been working on this map for over a year. I wanted to remodel Lago from the film High Plains Drifer. Some of the buildings came out very similar, but its no El Paso! Early on I realized that re creating the entire town as it looked in the film would have severe performance issues. So I tried to balance performance with eye candy (and of course I took some creative liberties).

So without further adieu, I give you dm_lago:

*** DOWNLOAD HERE ***

Note: The DM version should now work equally well with SG versions 1.0 and beta1.14b, while the BR version will only work with SG1.1 due to the added textures

Here is a fun promo video I put together:

Videos & Audio - Pardner - Mod DB

If the map and the video weren't enough, here are a bunch of screenshots from all stages of development.:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

If you are still reading this then you probably either found bug or you want to make a comment. Feel free to use this thread for such :D The map is far from finalized so I am all ears. If initial testing goes okay, then I will put it up on Moddb addons section.

~Pardner
Last edited by Pardner on Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:54 am, edited 6 times in total.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:47 pm

Hey ! Good work Pardner !
And good video too !

Note: You must have 1.1b4 in order to play this map. I seemed to have used too many textures and the .tex file doesnt work in SG 1.0. I am working to correct this.

Thanks reporting these, I was curious to know if the change I've made long time ago for 1.1 was working or not (but was too lazy to test these by myself ^^ )
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:04 pm

Joe Kari wrote:Hey ! Good work Pardner !
And good video too !

Note: You must have 1.1b4 in order to play this map. I seemed to have used too many textures and the .tex file doesnt work in SG 1.0. I am working to correct this.

Thanks reporting these, I was curious to know if the change I've made long time ago for 1.1 was working or not (but was too lazy to test these by myself ^^ )

Thanks Joe. This was a result of building each building independently, then paste them all together into the file map. I built the hotel using different textures than the sheriff which used different textures than the stable etc etc. I am working to compile textures so that 1.0 players can use the map as well.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:48 am

very nice. ill be sure to test this and get others to test it when i get the time :)
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:31 pm

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6LS830EM

I have uploaded a new version of Lago that should work on SG 1.0. I have modified the first post with the new download link as well.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:42 pm

Cool map! Really fun to play with dynamite, but then that figures! :lol:
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:19 am

You asked for opinions, so here's mine. I like the map overall quite a lot & only have "nit-picky" stuff to commment about. Mmmm, more like observations that you can address or not. :wink:

Aesthetic observations:
Some misaligned door textures here & there on the ends.
19_shot0025_1.jpg 19_shot0028_1.jpg
This thin slice of stone looks very odd, but maybe too much trouble to alter?
19_shot0032_1.jpg
Glow in the dark slats? Is there a light entity there that could be adjusted?
19_shot0026_1.jpg
A few models seem to be a bit larger than life at their default sizes. _modelscale ftw?
19_shot0029_1.jpg
Some sort of caulk line, just under my crosshair in this photo.
19_shot0022_1.jpg
Already mentioned to ya on TS about the "end of the world" thing with the opening at the end of the street. (No screenshot.) Really hoping you'll figure out something to alleviate that.

Gameplay annoyances:
I can jump/crouch onto this box. Once there, if I look up while jumping up & down, I can see through the ceiling to know if anyone is on the roof. Could use playerclip.
19_shot0031_1.jpg
Seems lonely back here. Maybe an extra piece of cover or two might save my bacon one of these days?
19_shot0030_1.jpg
Difficult to move between this door (when it's open) & the bed. Looks like it'd be easy to just slide the bed against the closest wall? Or make the bed smaller?
19_shot0027_1.jpg
Quite a few of the windows are difficult to get through. Even with a jump/crouch key combo. (No screenshots.)

Nice work Pardner. Your skills have improved!
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:40 am

Thanks Red for the input! I've fixed some things and plan on fixing the rest. As there hasn't been too much feedback, then I will probably wait until the BR is done before I release the changes.

Anyway, here is what I've done:

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Some misaligned door textures here & there on the ends.

Fixed.... I hope.

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:This thin slice of stone looks very odd, but maybe too much trouble to alter?

How does this look? I need to align some textures.
Image Image

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Glow in the dark slats? Is there a light entity there that could be adjusted?

Fixed I hope. The Glass window there had a light stage causing the glow.

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:A few models seem to be a bit larger than life at their default sizes. _modelscale ftw?

Ok ok ok ..... no big a$$es in the map :D

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:I can jump/crouch onto this box. Once there, if I look up while jumping up & down, I can see through the ceiling to know if anyone is on the roof. Could use playerclip.

Fixed, I added player clip as well as made the box larger so you dont have the "invisible" wall effect.

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Difficult to move between this door (when it's open) & the bed. Looks like it'd be easy to just slide the bed against the closest wall? Or make the bed smaller?

Fixed. Moved the bed over and it is much better. Not sure why it was like that before.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby kaiyouw » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:38 am

Terrific work, Pardner. I downloaded and tested the map, seems really good for Deathmatch. Do you plan to make it BR too? If so, where would the moneybags be? And one more thing, are you also working on another map at the same time, or just this one?
See you, and keep the good work, yours skills are amazing.

(SDE_King_Mob, aka SDE_Joker)
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby Juaro Juarez » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Finally i got time to test it, and i have to say it was Just Awsome :P
Great work, Pardner.
Looking forward to the BR Mode :P
-nox-Juaro-

Admin on Jeuxlinux.
Juaro Juarez
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Pardner » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:52 pm

kaiyouw wrote:Do you plan to make it BR too? If so, where would the moneybags be? And one more thing, are you also working on another map at the same time, or just this one?

The spawnpoints will be the same as in the RTP mode. The safes will be in the bank (where the table is) and in the saloon (where the bared door is). The bank will serve as a free for all bank like the brick hotel in El Paso where as the saloon will be a 1 entrance/exit building. The bank is further from the BR spawn, but easier to get into. The Saloon will be closer but harder to get into/out of.

I have a bunch of other project maps, but nothing near completion. You may or may not have seen my duel section for the SG duel map
Pardner
SG Team

Cool

Postby kaiyouw » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:11 am

Just took a look, I really fancy the falling snow idea. Could use in other maps, if fps are ok.
Listen, i dont know much about editting and stuff (yet), but id like to know how hard it would be to create new weapons or equipment... would it be harder or take more time than you guys usually take to create a new map?
I dont mean change the weapons, I mean add some more... plenty ideas for new weapons and equipment i have, like most of you guys , im sure...
well, congrats again and keep the amazing work, partners
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Ok, a few more fixes, I have not finished the BR version because I wanted the DM version to be running smooth before I started the conversion.

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Already mentioned to ya on TS about the "end of the world" thing with the opening at the end of the street. (No screenshot.) Really hoping you'll figure out something to alleviate that.

I've added what looks like a trail heading out of town and a town gate.

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Seems lonely back here. Maybe an extra piece of cover or two might save my bacon one of these days?

I added three "dummy" buildings for cover. I think they came out quite good and added to the look of the town.
Image Image
Image Image
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:06 am

Nice changes Pard!
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:23 am

Okay, got some new screens of the BR version. I need to add a few more sounds to the map as well as sort out a very anoying AAS error: AAS_AreaReachability: areanum 1119879168 out of rangeFatal:. But never mind that, here are the screens:

EDIT: I have uploaded an updated package. I have modified the link in the first post. Package includes the BR version and an updated DM version. BR version probably will not work with SG 1.0 because of the added textures.

The model image of the town (oh yes I did :D):

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Pardner
SG Team

Next

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel