With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

What makes a good BR Map?

Postby kaiyouw » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:18 pm

Hi there, ^SDE^Joker here, also known as Ohm or King_Mob.

Since so many guys are developing new maps to be included in the next SG version (I hope), I decided to make this post about what makes BR fun, or what makes a fun BR map. Of course its my humble oppinion, feel free to tells yours. Ok, to the list: those are the main things necessary for a really fun map, to play on Bank Robbery mode:

1 - Defenders and Robbers have the same chances.

Since there are 2 bags to rob, the defenders should be able to defend both of them. I see many new maps where the bags are too far away from each other, so if the robber go for one that is not defended, its easy to rob. When making the maps, think if the map could work even in a 1x1 battle. In my oppinion, the best maps when it comes to this are: Santa Cruz, Farm, and El Paso. So, lets see what this maps have in common:

As you can see, the defenders can protect both bags, cause they are close, and make a straight line. In a good map, the Robbers should have many ways to reach the bags, many different strategies, as tunnels, corridors, roofs, and buildings. The important thing is: they have a specific goal, they respawn at the exit (which is good for begginers) and they must invade the defenders area, rob and come back. Simple, but extremly fun.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=se9gdh&s=3

2 - Advantage to smarter players.

Good maps always have ways that only smarter players who really study the maps can know, and go through. For example, the Roofs at Santa Cruz. it takes some practice to be able to jump on the roofs, creating new possible ways to reach the bags, and good team strategies. Again, the best maps when it comes to this are: Santa Cruz, Durango, Farm, El Paso, Cobber. All those maps have roofs or trees that are possible to reach, giving you advantage. Im not talking about obvious spots which you can easily notice that you can get up there, Im talking about you having to use your brains to figure a way to go up there. That makes the game even more interesting, and as you can always learn new stuff, it doesnt get boring. My suggestion is: developers, make the roofs or higher areas reacheble, but not easily. The player should use both his brains and skills to get on those advantage spots.

3 - Balance between space and matter

Let me explain: A good map cant have too much open space, or it will just comes to "who shoots better", no strategies. At the same time, the map cant have too much stuff in the way, too much buildings or walls, or whatever, cause then it just comes to luck (who can reach the bag without getting spotted, and run to the exit). A good BR map should have a balance between those. I know you developers always have this impulse to fill open areas with buildings, walls, barrels, crates, and etc., but sometimes a simple tree or some bushes can do the work without filling the map with too much stuff. Good maps on this: Durango, Santa Cruz, Mexico, Cobber. One more thing: you can always make 2 possible ways, so the robber can choose which one he likes the most: an open way to the bag, or a not-so-open one, inside buildings or tunnels, such as in Farm. But dont forget: the inside areas must be easy and small, not a labyrint to make new players get lost on them.

4 - Teamplay.

A good BR map is a map that demands teamwork. Since everyone is familiar with the small trick of jumping on your parter to reach higher places, or even placing a gatling gun to do the same, the maps should use this fact to make the game even more fun. I suggest spots where one guy can jump over his parter's shoulders to reach good locations, as we can see in Santa Cruz, Durango, Farm, El Paso, Cobber, Mexico, and most of the br maps.

EXTRA TIPS:

-Sometimes you dont need something solid to hide. Use more bushes and trees on your maps, or dark spots.
-Dont forget the Sniper spots! they are always there in good maps, always on the defender's side. Towers as in Mexico, high windows as in El Paso, Bank roofs as in Durango, Churchs as in San Chuchillo and Santa cruz, and even a simpe wall with crates behind, like the Santa Cruz's bank corridor.
-Tunnels: none is bad, 1 is good, 2 are too much. People dont really like using tunnels (Statiscally speaking), most prefer higher ways, or roofs. Dont make too much of them. Same rule for breakeble walls.
-To each moneybag, at least 2 ways to get them. hard moneybags are always avoided, such as the higher one in Coyote Bluff and the one inside the big house at Alamo.
-Finally, it takes a genius to create a huge map which is a good one. Take it easy on the size of the maps, smaller maps are usually better. (Durango's size, or just a little bigger, like Mexico, but not bigger than that.)

Well, Hope someone can use at least one of my tips, and of course thats just My oppinion. I wanna hear yours, if you agree or disagree with me. Ive been playing for 1 and half years, and all I said is based on the little experience I got from this short time playing SG.
Oh, if you need inspiration to create your maps, you call all check the awesome maps on The Wild West. Im sure most of you know this game, which is very very similar to SG. Here goes the link, and click on "Media" to see some screeshots of the maps. See you, Partners!

http://the-wildwest.co.uk/indexa.htm
Download:
http://fortbravo.ath.cx/download/
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby SDERoses » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:51 am

supported friend =D
SDERoses
Newcomer

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar