With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Postby Joe Kari » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:12 pm

Lag - is critical. Whatever causes it I would avoid as much as possible. Sound effects seem to slow fps. Maps with no sound like the Fort are popular.

???
Sounds slow down your computer ??? That's probably some trouble with your hardware or driver...
And I don't see why maps with no sounds would be more popular...
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Mart Duggan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:22 am

You misunderstood my post. I said sound SEEMS to slow my FPS(not my whole computer -I keep the fps readout on my screen as I play). Just my personal observation. But I am not certain that sound causes poor fps rates. I don't know enough about computers to be able to say for sure. I could be wrong.

And I wrote "maps with no sound are popular" - not more popular. What I meant was sound does not seem to add to a map's popularity. Therefore if sound does affect fps - and I don't know if it does - as a mapper (which I'm not) I would limit it's use if I were trying to make a popular map.

Thanks for helping me to clear that up. I needed another break from getting shot by hackers and non-hackers alike.
Mart Duggan
Gunslinger

Postby steve » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:40 am

Looping ambient sounds are entirely client-side after an initial message from the server, so I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with latency...
It could possibly be the fact that maps with ambient sound effects are generally more polished and detailed then maps without them (more entities in general).
steve
Pistolero

Postby Pardner » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:58 pm

I've been working on this project quite a bit. I almost have the rick wall corridors finished. This screen show how much I've done (blue func_groups) and how much I need to do (outlined in red)
Once I get them done I think I will leak another alpha map. This way I can get some feeadback besides "OMG its blocky and ugly" :P

On the "to-do" list is
- Create tunnels
- Texture blend the pathways
- Create the Comanche camp
- Cover (crates, rocks) and eye-candy (plant life)

Of course...I got some new screens too:
Image ImageImage Image
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:54 am

Ok... rock corridors are done, caves are done, and as promised, here is a new ALPHA release:
***DOWNLOAD MAP HERE***

Things still do do:
  • Texture blend the sand pathways and the caves
  • Fix lighting
  • Create campsite at defender spawn
  • Add cover for players (boxes, crates, etc)
  • Add eye candy (plants, sounds, etc)
  • Tweak bots

Known issues:
  • Section of cave is not finished:
  • Cave enterence is too square:
  • Bots get stuck on bot clip:
  • Three depths have same texture, making it hard to see from a distance:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And last but not least, new screenshots.
Image Image
Image Image
Last edited by Pardner on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:53 pm

I know there's a simple answer, but commanche canyon doesn't seem to show up in the game maps selection. :?:
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:13 am

yup... thats the perks of releasing an alpha map..... I don't have to have the package all together yet!!! I haven't made the file yet. Just load the map via the console for now:
Code: Select all
/map br_comanchecanyon
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:10 pm

Well, I've hit the very slow and tedious work... cover, eye candy, and lighting. I have two new screens to show you.... I think its looking awesome:

Anybody besides CL try the alpha map?
Last edited by Pardner on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Mart Duggan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:32 pm

I am not an expert on map design by any means, but I admire your ability to create maps like this. I like the idea of a canyon of similar passages. Would be easy for me to get lost! Perhaps a couple of holes in the walls to stash a little treasure?
Mart Duggan
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:19 am

Mart Duggan wrote:Perhaps a couple of holes in the walls to stash a little treasure?

Aahhh now that's an idea I had forgot about! I had originally planned to have some nooks and crannies not just for some treasure.. but for players to hide and set and ambush! Thanks for the reminder!
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:32 am

i haven't tried it out yet. but now that El_Ejcovero has the CWNN server running again (we transferred it to a different comp) maybe ill upgrade it to 1.1 and try it out :D

it's looking good nonetheless :)
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:16 pm

Sucalakafufu wrote:i haven't tried it out yet. but now that El_Ejcovero has the CWNN server running again (we transferred it to a different comp) maybe ill upgrade it to 1.1 and try it out :D

I would love to get on a server and get some idea of gameplay before I started adding the player cover. The player cover really really effects gameplay. So if I know what gameplay works on the map, I can mold the map to fit it. Kinda like know the end result before I finish making the map ;)

So far this is my favorite map I have made. I am really excited about it!!

Since the alpha I have 1) added a lot more detail and 2) I have added another tunnel on the opposite side of the current tunnel. The tunnel will run from the small campfire to the wagon with the money bag. I will post screens when I finalize the new tunnel
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Your new lighting photos look great! It was pretty cool to start with. I could see this being a tricky strategy map, and familiarity would be a big advantage! Fun map!
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Sucalakafufu » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:00 pm

Pardner wrote:
Sucalakafufu wrote:i haven't tried it out yet. but now that El_Ejcovero has the CWNN server running again (we transferred it to a different comp) maybe ill upgrade it to 1.1 and try it out :D

I would love to get on a server and get some idea of gameplay before I started adding the player cover. The player cover really really effects gameplay. So if I know what gameplay works on the map, I can mold the map to fit it. Kinda like know the end result before I finish making the map ;)

So far this is my favorite map I have made. I am really excited about it!!

Since the alpha I have 1) added a lot more detail and 2) I have added another tunnel on the opposite side of the current tunnel. The tunnel will run from the small campfire to the wagon with the money bag. I will post screens when I finalize the new tunnel

ill see what i can do to get it on our server :)

EDIT: We now have both a 1.0 and 1.1 SG server running. CWNN 1.1b4 Server is our 1.1 Server. It is running a bunch of beta maps as well including Comanche Canyon :)
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:13 am

Ok cowpokes, I got another alpha release. After testing the alpha release on the BACON server, I think the game play is very fun... and very hard!! I dont have any new screenshots, but I do have a new file for you:

***DOWNLOAD MAP HERE***

New things since the previous release:
  • Texture blending
  • Two new tunnels
  • Cover and crates for players to hid behind
  • Defend campsite
  • Plant life and other eye candy
  • .cfg file so you dont have to load the map via console
  • Levelshot
  • .ai file to help the bots

I am still leaving the map in an alpha stage because I need to fix the the following:

• Tweak the terrain to optimize the coolness of the texture blending (some pathways don't look as good as they could).
  • Tweak bots... yup... them bots are as dumb as a hunk of lead.

Once I get these things fixed up, I will be posting the file to Moddb as a new BETA!! Until then, give the new alpha a whirl and post some feedback!
Last edited by Pardner on Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pardner
SG Team

PreviousNext

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel