With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Re: My the first SG map

Postby TheDoctor » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:48 am

MsH wrote:Why I can't see deadwood maps in singleplayer mode list?

You need to include a maps/br_deadwood.cfg and a maps/dm_deadwood.cfg file in your deadwood1.3.pk3. See deadwood.pk3 as a reference.
maps/dm_deadwood.cfg wrote:{
map "dm_deadwood"
author "MsH"
longname "Deadwood"
desc_line1 "------Wood? Dead!------"
desc_line2 "----Sheriff? Dead!----"
desc_line3 "-----You? Dead!-----"
desc_line4 "DM"
}

MsH wrote:Just thinking that could the lighting style in tunnel cause that problem? They are flashing like candle fire.

In current version (1.3), the tunnel is fine for me.

MsH wrote:And I updated DM version, made available to enter in church.

I like that. Nice bell ringing ;-). Wish one could play a few seconds on the piano in the saloon.

MsH wrote:Strange thing: compiling the map took 18 hours.. Before this update it took 30min.

The reason is, I think, is you don't distinguish enough between detail and structural brushes. Structural brushed are used in the visibility phase to precompute, fropm which places surfaces are visisble (and must be drawn) and when not. The more structural brushes you have, the longer this calculation process takes. That's why only large surface should be structural while anything other should be detail. For the incaccessible houses, I even defined simple invisible cubic structural brushes to speed of the process.

You may get an understanding of this if you load your map in the editor and hide all detail brushes. What you see is the optimized deadwood 1.0 structure and some of your recent additions (like the crates and the church interior). The latter needs to be marked as detail brushes.

Two minor things: First, get rid of the .bak files and include the .map files in the .pk3. The .bak files are backups of the .map files. While uncrompressed, map size seems to be significant, they are text based and their compressed size doesn't matter.

Second, there is a left-over part of a bar stool in the saloon.

Keep up the good work!
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MsH » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:38 am

TheDoctor wrote:In current version (1.3), the tunnel is fine for me.

Yeah I removed style key from the light entities. I was right, they caused the issue.

TheDoctor wrote:Wish one could play a few seconds on the piano in the saloon.

I have though about it, btw did you realize that piano keys are actually snow ? :mrgreen:

TheDoctor wrote:Two minor things: First, get rid of the .bak files and include the .map files in the .pk3. The .bak files are backups of the .map files. While uncrompressed, map size seems to be significant, they are text based and their compressed size doesn't matter.

So you think I should get rid of the source.zip too?

Thanks again for the help!

EDIT: I tried adding sound for the piano but the range of sound is unrealistic. Piano sound sounds like global sound though it's not. Is there any command to reduce the range in sg?

I tried volRange, volume, radius and none of them worked.
MsH
Gunslinger

Postby TheDoctor » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:34 am

MsH wrote:So you think I should get rid of the source.zip too?

I don't object against an additional source package which may contain additional sources (e.g. a high-resolution version of a texture or the sources of .ase models), but IMHO .map sources should be always included in the .PK3, especially if the map has an open source license.

MsH wrote:I've tried adding sound for the piano but the range of sound is unrealistic. Piano sound sounds like global sound though it's not. Is there any command to reduce the range in sg? I tried volRange, volume, radius and none of them worked.

Convert you sample to mono. Then the above parameters do have an effect. If you use a stereo sample, it's always played globally. It makes sense, if you think about it.

MsH wrote:Did you realize that piano keys are actually snow?
No, I didn't look that closely ;-).
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MsH » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:13 pm

Deadwood 1.4 is out at will be last update for a moment.
(unless there's need for some important fixes)

I hope it will be added especially for ballerbude and jeuxlinux.fr. Though I'd love to see it in every server :)

Deadwood v1.4 changelog:

- Fixed hotel fence bar
- Fixed some texture misplacement
- Fixed left stool part in saloon
- Made totally new tunnel in BR mode
- Added piano music for piano in DM mode
- Added .ai file for DM mode
- Added a long red carpet for church interior (DM mode)
- Included source in .pk3
- Added deadwood to be seen in singleplayer maplist

I re-edited Deadwood wiki and removed old changelogs.
http://wiki.smokin-guns.org/wiki/Smokin ... H/Deadwood

Download: http://wiki.smokin-guns.org/attachment/ ... d_v1.4.pk3

Oh, and merry christmas!
MsH
Gunslinger

Postby TheDoctor » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:36 pm

MsH wrote:Deadwood 1.4 is out. I hope it will be added especially for ballerbude.

From now on, v1.4 is available on BB.

MsH wrote:Oh, and merry christmas!

Thank you, MSH, for taking the time to improve your map. We both know, map making is harder than it should be. That is why I can really appreaciate your gift for xmas 2014. Happy holiday to you and a fantastic year 2015.
:-)
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MsH » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:56 pm

Thanks to you TheDoctor :)

Without you this could be worse update |D
MsH
Gunslinger

Previous

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar