With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Postby LuckyGenDago » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:09 pm

heyhey,

i had the problem ones, too.

I got it fixet. You have just to press a letter on your keyboard, try everyone(because i forgot witch it was :) )

Than you will see the walls again i think it was i, o , p i can't test it yet because my pc is crashed.

Greetings
Dago
[IngameName] mS.Dago
TS Admin
LuckyGenDago
Gunslinger

Postby !NuB!Donut » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:18 pm

muffin had the same problem with the walls on his old leptop. Actually we coulden't fix it and so he get used to map whis "falt shade". Fortunately he bought a new leptop (win 7) and there is all working nearly perfect (the only problem is he cant save the maps on the normal way..)

BTW. Good luck with your maps
!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14 pm

!NuB!Donut wrote:muffin had the same problem with the walls on his old leptop. Actually we coulden't fix it and so he get used to map whis "falt shade". Fortunately he bought a new leptop (win 7) and there is all working nearly perfect (the only problem is he cant save the maps on the normal way..)

Donut, could you post his old system specs and his new system specs?

The saving is another problem with 1.4+Vista. You cannot save to a new map. You have to copy/paste a map, then save it :?

Pardner
SG Team

Postby kaiyouw » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:03 am

Hey Pardner and Red and Dago and Donut, I got everything fixed. I reinstalled the whole thing in my older computer, and it couldnt be working better :D
I was able to create my terrain with Easygen, open it on radiant, compile it on Q3 Toolz and even test it, now I can start learning how to work on Radiant, thank you all. One question, anyone here ever played Urban Terror? there is a very cool map named Casa, and Ill try to make it on Sg (A western version of it, of course 8) ). Lets see how hard it can be lol
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:03 pm

kaiyouw wrote:now I can start learning how to work on Radiant, thank you all.

Start simple friend. Make a few rooms, then connect them with a hallway. Add some doors, some lights etc. Then make stairs, windows, etc. Thinking of making a large map for the first time is hard.
kaiyouw wrote:One question, anyone here ever played Urban Terror? there is a very cool map named Casa, and Ill try to make it on Sg (A western version of it, of course 8) ). Lets see how hard it can be lol

q3map2.exe has a de-compiler switch, but this can cause problems with the map file and it is against any implied artist copyrights.

Good luck and hope to see some screenshots.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby kaiyouw » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:39 pm

Yeah, I was thinking about making a map based on Casa, but add many things on my own... Im doing great using Radiant, its pretty simple. The thing is, I can only make walls so far. Is there an easier way to do a stair, or I just need to add some blocks in different levels? One more thing, how do I make other forms, such as a roof?
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:58 pm

That's the trick... making blocky, square maps is very easy, making believable natural looking maps is hard. All ID Tec3 style maps are made with triangles. When you put two triangles together you get a square, when you put 3 or more triangles together you get a prism. Your job is to make those triangles into something good looking.

You can press your "e" and '"v" keys to unlock your verticies. "E" will keep adjacent verticies locked (so you can drag a corner together), while "V" will unlock all the verticies (so you can drag each corner separately).

You can thank Gamespy for removing the BEST Q3 mapping tutorial. Luckly, you can still find it on web archives:
Meet Bubba.
Read through the tutorials. (Note: some entiies and tutorials are Q3A specific). I recommend making a test map and just make everything you can. Try all the entities. Learn to manipulate your brushes with the hot keys (v,e,space,r,h,shift+h)
Pardner
SG Team

Postby !NuB!Donut » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:25 pm

Donut, could you post his old system specs and his new system specs?

Actually i don't know them

The saving is another problem with 1.4+Vista. You cannot save to a new map. You have to copy/paste a map, then save it Confused

muffin can save maps after he had changed the name of the map from autosave to somtingelse. 8)
!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby kaiyouw » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:35 am

Hi there

My map is doing great, but I had 2 problems:
How do I make stairs, like those wooden ones that you use to climb towers? For example, that one you climb to get to the top of the church tower in Mexico.

Another one, where do I find trees, such as that palm tree in Santa Cruz?
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:28 am

kaiyouw wrote:How do I make stairs, like those wooden ones that you use to climb towers? For example, that one you climb to get to the top of the church tower in Mexico.

Do you mean a ladder: viewtopic.php?t=1520#ladders

kaiyouw wrote:Another one, where do I find trees, such as that palm tree in Santa Cruz?

Those may or may not be included in the ase models folder. Santa Cruz is one of the original maps, before we started making and releasing our ase models. Here is a tutorial on how to add ase models to your maps: viewtopic.php?t=1520#models
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:29 am

IF I remember correctly, some ase models are included in the mappers pack?
HERE or HERE
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby dbozan99 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:24 am

Here's a Mirror to the Mapping info from Bubba's site.

Way faster than using the wayback machine ;)

http://www.1upclan.info/hosted/bubba-ma ... pping.html
dbozan99
Pistolero

Postby kaiyouw » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:03 am

Thank you Pardner, nice tutorials. My only problem now is that I cant select a single face of a block, so I can apply different textures to the same wall. I tried Shift + Ctrl but it doesnt seem to work.

You were right, Red. I found many nice objects in the pack, thank you so much.

Ive been playing with Radiant in my free time, to get used to it and learn to use the keyboard shortcuts. In fact, I started making some random structures, and I noticed that what I did could become such a great BR map for few players (2x2 or 3x3), which we dont have in Sg cause all the maps are kinda large for that. So I called it Tijuana (lol), and now Im working on it. I made a tower where one moneybag will be, and the other one inside a big house. Im using a night skybox, and trying to fill the space with small buildings, since the terrain is not so big. I belive it will become a nice map. Here is a screenshot of what Ive done so far, and I hope this can stimulate people to learn how to build new levels.

8175_Tijuana_1.jpg
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:06 pm

kaiyouw wrote:My only problem now is that I cant select a single face of a block, so I can apply different textures to the same wall. I tried Shift + Ctrl but it doesnt seem to work.

Thats the way you do it. Make sure the brush is not selected, then press Ctrl+Shift and click on the side of the brush you want to texture.

You may have outlining turn off. If you select a brush (Ctrl+Click) and press "j" until the brush is highlighted red and outlined in white. This is the best way you can tell if you are selecting a brush or just a side. If you have a side of a bush selected, it will be highlight red but not outlined in white.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby kaiyouw » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:38 pm

Ok, I have a question:
I made a water tank made of wood, and I want it to blow when you use a dinamite on it, cause one of the moneybags will be inside of it. Im using func_breakable, then I press "n" and check the "wood" type. The thing is, when I shoot at it 4 times, it blows. Id like to increase the HP of the tower, so shots cant blow it, only dynamites. How do I do it?
(There is a tower in Alamo that is exactly like this)
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

PreviousNext

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel