With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Need help

Postby kaiyouw » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:28 am

Howdy folks

Today (sunday) I woke up wanting to create a new Sg map :D
Then, I came here, downloaded Radiant 1.4, EasyGen, Q3MapToolz and the sg_mapping_tools folder. After that, i followed the tutorials, and in a short time I was able to create my first terrain o easygen, and to export it to Radiant. Then the problems begun:

When I tried to compile the map, i got this error:
8175_problem_1.jpg

Then, I checked the Smokin-Guns/smokinguns/textures/sg_sky folder, and this is what i found (Where are the other image files for the syboxes?)
8175_problem22_1.jpg

Finally, something really weird happens when I open the test map on Radiant, in the "navigation" window on the right-top of the screen, I cant see the walls like Red did on his tutorial, I can only see some pink dots...
8175_problem33_1.jpg

Anyone can help me fix these problems?
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Re: Need help

Postby Pardner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:56 am

Welcome to mapping! We'll get you fixed up.

kaiyouw wrote:Howdy folks
When I tried to compile the map, i got this error:

Ok, jumping right into EG + Radiant is probably not a good idea. When you export your .map file from EG you also need to export your .pcx file. This is the texture for your meta shader. You need to make sure that the path of your pcx file is in the same path specified in your meta shader (also exported when you export your map file). One way you can test your exported map without using the meta shader is to edit the terrain in Radiant and replace the "terrain" shader with a sand texture in the sf_sand folder.

kaiyouw wrote:Then, I checked the Smokin-Guns/smokinguns/textures/sg_sky folder, and this is what i found (Where are the other image files for the syboxes?)

The env folder is located in the sg_maps0.pk3. you can open the pk3 file with any zip reader and copy/paste the env folder into your smokinguns folder. You dont have to have everything unpacked as EG, Radiant, and q3map2 call all read pk3 files. Having everything unpacked is handy if you want to make your own textures/shaders.

kaiyouw wrote:Finally, something really weird happens when I open the test map on Radiant, in the "navigation" window on the right-top of the screen, I cant see the walls like Red did on his tutorial, I can only see some pink dots...

Take a look here: viewtopic.php?t=1618
If your problem matches mine, could you post your hardware specs (preferably in the other thread)
Last edited by Pardner on Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby kaiyouw » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:22 am

Damn, i cant fix this problem. I made sure that both mine PCX and MAP files are saved in the same place, as you can see below:
8175_exp1_1.jpg
8175_exp2_1.jpg

Still doing that, I get the following errors when I try to build the map on Q3Toolz:
8175_erro1_1.jpg
8175_erro2_1.jpg

I noticed that my maps doesnt have the 4 extensions, such as the dm_test1 map, which I can compile normally
8175_erro3_1.jpg

:|
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby kaiyouw » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:26 am

Oh, I couldnt do what you said about the terrain on radiant (compiling without the shaders), because of that "little dots" problem... I can see the map better if I use the Wireframe option, but its not the same as the normal way... You said you fixed your problems by downloading Radiant 1.5?
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:37 am

You have to add the name of your map to the shaderlist.txt found in the scripts folder.
On the View menu, check Cubic Clipping to be OFF if you want everything displayed in the 3d window. If performance is too slow that way, turn it back on.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby kaiyouw » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:44 am

Thanks for being so supportive, guys.
Red, Ive done both things you said. Still cant compile even with the "casateste" line on the scripts\shaderlist.txt file.
And ive tried checking and unchecking the Cubic Clipping box, doesnt work. I tried to change the display mode (all the options), I can see the map a little better when I use Wireframe.... but would be good to see it normally :D

Oh, nice tutorials, by the way. Very well done. :)
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:52 am

Mmmm, for the cubic clip issue you could try checking the Radiant manual. (Help button in the editor.) Lastly, try searching google.
As for your trouble compiling easygen terrains, watch the tutorials again to make sure you didn't miss a step. There are also a few written tutorials floating about the web.
Most of us around here don't recommend gtkradiant 1.5, it's too buggy for SG. But maybe you'd have better luck?
kaiyouw wrote:Oh, nice tutorials, by the way. Very well done.

Thank you very much.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby kaiyouw » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:57 am

what about Zeroradiant?
If I dont fix this compiling issue by tomorrow, Ill try reinstalling everything, following the tutorials at the same time.
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:57 am

kaiyouw wrote:Oh, I couldnt do what you said about the terrain on radiant (compiling without the shaders), because of that "little dots" problem... I can see the map better if I use the Wireframe option, but its not the same as the normal way... You said you fixed your problems by downloading Radiant 1.5?

Did you read that thread I linked you too? Are you using Vista? Are you using Intel Integrated Graphics? If so, this might be your problem.

You can simply replace textures by using the "Textures --> Find and Replace" menu. Then replace the terrain texture with a sand texture.

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:On the View menu, check Cubic Clipping to be OFF if you want everything displayed in the 3d window. If performance is too slow that way, turn it back on.

I think cubic clipping only effects the draw distance. I think his problem is somehting to do with Vista+Inegrated graphics. The 3D window does not draw any brushes that are not 100% in the 3D window.

kaiyouw wrote:Damn, i cant fix this problem. I made sure that both mine PCX and MAP files are saved in the same place, as you can see below:

It it doesnt matter where your PCX file is save (although it should be saved in the textures folder and your map file should be saved in your maps folder). What really matters is that your shader script points to the correct path of the PCX file... e.g. : If your PCX is saved in "textures/mymap/mymap.pcx" then your shader should also have that as the path.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:59 am

kaiyouw wrote:what about Zeroradiant?
If I dont fix this compiling issue by tomorrow, Ill try reinstalling everything, following the tutorials at the same time.

Radiant 1.5 works fine for me, BUT I HATE 1.5 with a passion.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby kaiyouw » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:07 am

No, not using Vista, Im using XP. But yes, I do have an Intel graph card.
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby kaiyouw » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:28 am

Just one question, I have SG 1.0, and Im making this map on it. Would people be able to play it on the recent versions? I mean, is there any problem about me using SG 1.0 while creating my map? By the way, Im reinstalling everything on my other computer, this time exactly as the tutorials teach... lets see if I can make it work :D
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:38 am

kaiyouw wrote:No, not using Vista, Im using XP. But yes, I do have an Intel graph card.

...such as....
Is this a laptop? Are your vid drivers up to date? Have you tried older drivers (basically the stuff I posted about in the other thread)

kaiyouw wrote:Just one question, I have SG 1.0, and Im making this map on it. Would people be able to play it on the recent versions?

It shouldn't matter, but I would download the new beta and grab the sg.shader out of it as some of the shaders have changed and new ones have been added
Pardner
SG Team

Postby kaiyouw » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:48 am

Thanks. Yes, Im using a laptop, but now Im changing to my old PC, installing everything there. Im not about the graphic card of it, but Ill check it out. And I will download the newest version of Sg too, as you recommended. By the end of this week Ill see how much I can learn, and if I can make the whole thing work. Hope so, since I have tons of cool ideas for maps, and would be great if I could implement them myself :D
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:44 pm

Just don't get frustrated. First you have to get your tools set up, then you have to learn to use the tools, and finally you can start to turn out playable maps.

kaiyouw wrote:since I have tons of cool ideas for maps, and would be great if I could implement them myself

Hehe good! My mapping folder is full of unfinished test maps. f I have an idea in my head or if I see something in a movie I will map it out before I forget.
Pardner
SG Team

Next

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel