With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Postby Pardner » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:18 pm

If you open the included br_test1 map and then go to the safe you and can see the key/values used there. Also, if you expand (red circle in the picture below) the entities window ("N") all the entities have usage notes to tell you how to use them:
So in this case, you want to use the key/value of weapon/weapon_dynamite. The health key/value is not required as only the dynamite can be used to break the breakable.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby kaiyouw » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:54 pm

Yeah, it worked, thanks for being so supportive.
One more thing, my tower keeps reappearing after I blow it, it takes 2 or 3 minutes but it always comes back. Is this because my map is still working like a deathmatch map? if not, what should I do to make this tower disappear after blown, for the rest of the round?
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby Joe Kari » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:51 am

Add to your entity (select it, then type 'n') a key/value pair:
weapon => weapon_dynamite

... this way, your func_breakable can't be broken by anything but dynamite.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby kaiyouw » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:44 am

yeah, i did that. The problem is, I blow it but it comes back after a while... I wanted it to stay destroyed until next round, in bank robbery mode. Will this happen when I make the map Br, or do I have to change something? I imagine when you test your map as a "devmap" you play as if it was Deathmatch, and in DM is normal for broken things to come back again...
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:51 am

kaiyouw wrote:Will this happen when I make the map Br, or do I have to change something?

You don't need to change anything. Br waits for the round to finish before re-spawning the breakables (I think). DM is easy because you can run around the map for testing.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby kaiyouw » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:30 am

Hello folks
Since Lon is here in my house for this entire month, we are making an effort to improve Br_Tijuana as much as we can, before releasing it. Right now I have 5 doubts:

1- Im doing some bushes, and I want them to be "passable", ghost-like. How do I do the no-clip thing?

2- Whats better for FPS: using models or brushes? (for example, should I make a table using regular blocks with texture, or use an ASE model?)

3- When I import models, they have no player-clip, I can can walk thru them. How do I make them solid (the opposite of what I said on #1)

4- Is there a way to illuminate a whole room without using lamps?

5- Does mirrors and rotating-doors affects FPS a lot? what about water and breakables?

Thanks for the help, when I finish the map Ill try to make some optimization using the tutorials Ive watched from you guys. 8)
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby LuckyGenDago » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:50 am

hey kaiyow,

1- you want creat the bushes with the plant texture? if yes you have to set a nodraw clip with the bush texture just on one side. you can do that by holding the shift- key

3- use the weapon clip if the no player clip not working.

4- you can use _minLight if you don't want to use lamps.

Greetings
Dago
[IngameName] mS.Dago
TS Admin
LuckyGenDago
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:54 am

2- Both are the same. Both have to draw the same number of triangles.

3- You have to clip your own models. Just the way it is.

5- Yup! Breakables really hurt FPS. Any shader with a tcmod (water) or multiple stages (blends) will also hurt fps.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby kaiyouw » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:58 pm

Thanks. I just have some trouble with lightning. Where did you guys found the lamp model (most mappers use the same lamp, where can i find it?). Dago, how exactly do I use this Minlight thing?
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:19 am

kaiyouw wrote:Where did you guys found the lamp model (most mappers use the same lamp, where can i find it?).

Check your email. Once 1.1 is finialized, we will be releasing a new mapping tools package with updated shader scripts and models.

kaiyouw wrote: how exactly do I use this Minlight thing?

Select a worldspawn brush (any brush that is not part of an enitity) and add:
Key: _minlight
Value: 15
(You can adjust the value.)

If you want, while that same worldspawn brush is select, press "k" and select the color of the minlight. This can be used to add a nice soft glow (yellow/orange) to your maps or a sharp brightness (blue/white).
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:59 pm

kaiyouw wrote:Hello folks
2- Whats better for FPS: using models or brushes? (for example, should I make a table using regular blocks with texture, or use an ASE model?)

4- Is there a way to illuminate a whole room without using lamps?

5- Does mirrors and rotating-doors affects FPS a lot? what about water and breakables?

2- For the renderer (display), it is the same.
However, high polycount models + some simple weaponclip is really is really faster than high polycount brushwork for the physics.
Why ?
Because each time someone shoot in an area, the trace is tested against all the brush in that area (and eventually some others), and since models does not exist for the physical engine (except if you use spawnflags 2 or a special shader), only its weaponclip brushes are tested.
In fact my advice is simple: never ever use brushwork for hi polycount or tiny mapobject.

4 - I really hate minlight, it flatten the light and shade in dark area... Consider using _ambient 8 instead of _minlight 15.
Minlight 15 say that everything that would normally receive less than "15" luminosity will be finally lighted with 15. For example, you will not see shadows between place normally ligthed with a value of 4 and place lighted with a value of 12, it will be changed for 15 for both.
Ambient 8 will ADD 8 to the light value, in the previous example, the 2 places will be lighted with a value of 12 and 20: it keeps the contrast in dark place.

However, be carefull with _ambient, cause it affect the whole map, that's why you should use only low value. 8 is a good value.

Anyway, the perfect combo is to use a small value for _ambient AND to add light entity in your map. Don't be lazzy ;)
IMO, lighting count as 33% of the visual quality of a map.
I you want good practice example, look at Steve's map, you will notice how good it is to use as many light entity as you can.

5 - Mirror affect it a lot: a whole scene is rendered into a texture first, before the real screen rendering. Breakable affect FPS when they are broken in a lot of gibs (it launch a lot of trace).
Doors does not affect FPS too much, I mean, it is an entity, so it cost more CPU than things in the worldspawn, but it does not cost more CPU than any other entity (train, rotating, pendulum, ...).
Water add rendering stage like any surfaces with alpha-transparencies (glasses, ...), not a big deal for newer computer (the bottleneck is the polycount of the map ATM). But it can moderately affect old computer.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Lon' » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:24 am

hey guys im here with kaoiws almost finishing br_tijuana and we wanna know how make the ase models turn into solid.. (not be passable)
Lon'
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:46 am

you have to use player and weapon clip around the model after you insert it into your map.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Lon' » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:34 am

is there any topic explaining how we make the pk3 file? and about weapon clip and player clip to make the models solid how it works exatly?
Lon'
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:31 am

Lon' wrote:is there any topic explaining how we make the pk3 file?

Read this over:
http://www.1upclan.info/hosted/bubba-map-tuts/pk3.html

All you need to do is zip your maps, scripts, levelshot, textures, and any other directories that your map needs into a zip file. Then rename the .zip to .pk3.

Note: you only need to include files that are not already included in other pk3s.... eg you do not need to include all the textures you map uses... only the new ones that you created.

In your map dir, you need to include the following:
mapname.bsp
mapname.aas
mapname.tex
mapname.ai

Lon' wrote:and about weapon clip and player clip to make the models solid how it works exatly?

1. Insert the ase model into your map.
  2. Add weapon clip brushes around the model in places that you don't want bullets to go through (horses, tree trunks, etc).
  3. Add player clip brushes round the areas where you do want bullets to go through (wagon covers, tables, chairs, etc).
  4. Clip brushes don't have to be exact, they just need to be close enough to give the player the impression that the model is solid.
  5. If you need more help, here is a map file with a horse model: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CW55V10D
Pardner
SG Team

PreviousNext

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel