With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Postby !NuB!Donut » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:47 pm

Can you give me your q3map2 compiler's switches

Code: Select all
"C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\compiler\q3map2.exe" -meta -fs_basepath "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns" "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\maps\dm_station.map"
"C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\compiler\q3map2.exe" -vis -fs_basepath "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns" "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\maps\dm_station.bsp"
"C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\compiler\q3map2.exe" -light -patchshadows -samples 3 -super 2 -fs_basepath "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns" "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\maps\dm_station.bsp"
"C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\Radiant-1.4\bspc.exe" -forcesidesvisible -optimize -bsp2aas "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\maps\dm_station.bsp"

But while I am compiling I always get this error
MAX_MAP_VISIBILITY exceed

and your key/value pair for the worldspawn entity

Finally, it looks like few wall are part of the your farclipped entity. This is not a good idea. Farclipping is designed for small mapobject: things that are not really visible but still have to render tons of tris when you are far away from them. A wall is typically the opposite: there are big and only have few tris, so they are actually still visible when you are far away (so it doesn't make sense to clip them), and they do not eat CPU (a rectangular wall is only made of 2 tris, while most of MD3 have from 150 to 1500 tris).

Like I said i played around a bit but thanks for your advise.

I tried hint brushes but they seem not to work. So i desided to upload the map file maybe you could take look at it. And if you do this you could build one farclip so that i can lear form this one inside the radiant.
Station.map.zip

And by the way. Thanks that you send your time whis helping me.
!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:51 pm

!NuB!Donut wrote:But while I am compiling I always get this error
MAX_MAP_VISIBILITY exceed

http://modsonline.com/Forums-top-17017.html
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:37 pm

Ouch... I have just downloaded your sources... It looks like you have forgotten to turn most of your brushes to detail ;)

This is a long long work... I don't know where to start to explain...

You can read this forum thread, but it is a bit hard (lack of image). I just found this page for you, there are few image to explain how it works.

Good luck, this is probably the hardest arcane of mapping to master 8)

I can't remember how to set "detail brushes" as default...
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:45 am

I finally got around to downloading your level. Looks like you put a lot of hours into making this. But yeah, it does have some problems.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby !NuB!Donut » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:38 pm

So now I read some toturials about detail brushes but I have some question.

1. As far as I understood it I have to make all details (tables, chairs) of a room to detail brushes, Am i right?
2. Do I need to turn windows and doors to detail brushes?
3. Do I need to turn stairs to detail brushes?
4. Can I turn .md3 models to detail brushes?
!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:47 pm

!NuB!Donut wrote:1. As far as I understood it I have to make all details (tables, chairs) of a room to detail brushes, Am i right?
2. Do I need to turn windows and doors to detail brushes?
3. Do I need to turn stairs to detail brushes?
4. Can I turn .md3 models to detail brushes?

1. Most anything in a room can be detail. The exception being walls, floors, and ceilings.
2. I do, but I don't think you have to. Windows have a transparent parameter in the shader script and therefore don't block vis. Doors are entities and I don't think they block vis either. I turn them to detail just so I can see that they don't block vis in the editor.
3. You would turn stairs to detail if they don't do any vis blocking. if they can be used to seal a section, leave them as structural.
4. Like doors/windows, I think models are already detail. If you are trying to use a model to block vis you need to make a caulk brush behind the model (like if you were using a rock wall model).

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:48 pm

Note that entities and models can't be structural, so you don't have to turn them to detail (there are processed as detail anyway).
Everything not in the "worldspawn" is an entity (except func_group, because it is only an editor entity, at runtime all func_group are moved into the worldspawn). So this include doors and breakables (I guess your windows are breakable ?).

Just for the record, models can be VIS-blocker, if you use a special shader on it named "force_caulk" or something like that. Never use it, but I'm planning to test that for some canyon models.

For your stairs, you have to turn them to detail, or they will create a lot of useless BSP split (so a lot of useless cluster). Think about that: every face of a structural brush expand as a plane, and those plane are used for a BSP split (however, such plane are not infinite, they are stopped by another BSP split).
If you need those stairs as VIS-blockers, re-arrange your brushes and create a VIS-blocker for that purpose, leave the other brushes of the stairs as detail.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:02 pm

I made a video tutorial last night that might help explain a few things. I didn't think about adding farclip untill the film was already done, so that will wait for another video. I hope it helps!
viewtopic.php?p=19492#19492
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby !NuB!Donut » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:23 am

I made a video tutorial last night that might help explain a few things. I didn't think about adding farclip untill the film was already done, so that will wait for another video. I hope it helps!
viewtopic.php?p=19492#19492

Thank you ReD NeCKersoN it help me to understand it.

So but now to my problems I worked a bit on the map and the fps inside the buildings are mutch better now but still not perfect. I think I need to change the map a lot (especially the big open area). So what do you guys think about it? Or do you think there are ways to get the fps at that open area better?

here is the next eary beta (I still have to cange many things)

Downlad = http://www.filefactory.com/file/b4eafd3 ... ta_1_2_zip
!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:42 pm

You still need to improve the hintbrushing inside building, if you haven't done it already, add the hintbrushes plane I was talking about few post earlier, then add horizontal hintbrushes plane, along all second floor of your buildings.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby CROAT » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:42 am

i found him! :P :D
CROAT
Newcomer

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Donut, I got <1 FPS when I looked at this building 8O :
This happened with beta1.0 as well as with beta1.2. I suspect the fake windows have something to do with it (so please, in the name of all who suffer from bad OpenGL drivers, get rid of them).
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Pardner » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:00 pm

TheDoctor wrote:Donut, I got <1 FPS when I looked at this building

Frame rate hits can be caused by:
  • Leak in the map. Run a leak test in the map to bsp compile stage (1st stage). The compile will exit of there is a leak and it will create a pointfile. Open GTK Radiant and load the pointfile (File-->Pointfile). This will show you exactly where the leak is with a big red line. Fix the leak, fix the FPS hit.
  • A brush off the grid or a brush that is missing a vertice can sometimes cause this. This can be very tricky to get rid of.
    • Try running plugins-->bobtoolz-->BrushCleanup. This can sometimes get rid of brushs that are good.
    • Another way to check to see if you have a brush that is missing a vertice is by checking for what I call an "exploded brush". Open your map in Radiant, press "i" to select all the brushes. Look at your Z-axis window, scroll to the very top of the selected brushes (click the right mouse button and drag). If you cannot reach the top of the selected brushes then you have an exploded brush!
      Image Image
    • If the BrushCleanup didnt work but you still have a bad brush, you either have to open the map file in notepad and find it, or, hid all the brushes in your map that you can see (use your filts and "H"), then press "I" and the exploded brush will be the only one selected... then press delete.
  • Did you use CG Subtract to make the windows? If so, check for brushes that are smaller than 1x1 unit. These little things are so small that you might not notice them in the editor, but they cause performance problems. (This is the cause of my first map fail)
Pardner
SG Team

Postby !NuB!Donut » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:16 am

!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:44 am

!NuB!Donut wrote:It's time for the next early beta
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b516884 ... ta_2.0.zip

Nice improvement. The bug is gone. Congrats.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

PreviousNext

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel