With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

bots don't move

Postby !NuB!Donut » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:13 pm

I have a problem with my mapping tools. Every time when i compile a map the bots don't want do move. Even when i try to compile maps like Harbor or Los amigos. My maps have AI-Nodes so i really don't get the problem.

Here are my compiler command lines
Code: Select all
"C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\compiler\q3map2.exe" -meta -fs_basepath "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns" "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\maps\aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrhhh.map"
"C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\compiler\q3map2.exe" -vis -fs_basepath "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns" "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\maps\aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrhhh.bsp"
"C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\compiler\q3map2.exe" -light -patchshadows -samples 3 -super 2 -fs_basepath "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns" "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\maps\aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrhhh.bsp"
"C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\Radiant-1.4\bspc.exe" -forcesidesvisible -optimize -bsp2aas "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\maps\aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrhhh.bsp"

here is an example:
the bot doesn't move :evil:

I hope someone can help me
!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:20 am

I don't see anything wrong so far. Do you get any errors after the bspc stage of the compile? Maybe you could try replacing the bspc.exe in case your current one has somehow become corrupted?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby !NuB!Donut » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:49 pm

Maybe you could try replacing the bspc.exe in case your current one has somehow become corrupted?

I installed all new but it still don't work. :cry:

Do you get any errors after the bspc stage of the compile

Only
Warning: MergeWindings: front to back found twice

Here is the log. I hope someone can find the error.

dm_station ( http://www.filefactory.com/file/b51d8hc ... onbspc.log )
My little test map from the screenshot also don't work. Here is the log for it. ( http://www.filefactory.com/file/b51d93f/n/skybspc.log )

Im using the 1.4b for mapping can this be the mistake?

I really need help.
!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby LuckyGenDago » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:54 am

Hello,

i had the same problem ones.

All my bots just stand arround. but just in the first br round after the round they moved normaly.
[IngameName] mS.Dago
TS Admin
LuckyGenDago
Gunslinger

Postby TheDoctor » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:29 am

!NuB!Donut wrote:I really need help.
To decide whether the problem lies at your tools/installation or at your map, please try to recompile an .aas file of an existing map, e.g. dm_tillian. Just unzip sg_map0.pk3 and copy maps/dm_tillian.* to a temporary folder, rename dm_tillian to dm_test and:
bspc -aasopt -forcesidesvisible -optimize -bsp2aas dm_test.bsp
Zip maps/dm_test.bsp and maps/dm_test.aas into dm_test.pk3, copy that file into your SG directory, start the map dm_test and add some bots. If the bots move, your problem lies at your map. If they don't move, well... let's hope they move.
;-)
Also, make the source code of your test map available.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:37 am

Mmmm, I would just run some compiles with the dm_test map included in the mappers pack. It's small & will compile in a matter of seconds.
Sometimes when really wierd things happen, it's often easiest to just reinstall all of your editting tools.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby !NuB!Donut » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:23 pm

Mmmm, I would just run some compiles with the dm_test map included in the mappers pack.

I tried. First it worked but then i decided to delete the money, weapons, knives ... and built an .ai file. So the bot run about 30 seconds and after that he stand just around.

To decide whether the problem lies at your tools/installation or at your map, please try to recompile an .aas file of an existing map, e.g. dm_tillian. Just unzip sg_map0.pk3 and copy maps/dm_tillian.* to a temporary folder, rename dm_tillian to dm_test and:

Some finished maps work after i recompiled them like Los Amigos but outher like Harbour don't work after the compile. :evil:

And anouter stange thing is that normal a bot picks up weapons but in my test map he don't move.

So here are the .map and .ai files.
botsarestupid.zip

I hope someone can find the mistake.

Meanwhile I will install all my mapping tools new.
!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:56 pm

I have the same problem in the test map I made for the team overlay testing. I had to place a crate of TnT in the map so the bots would move. I created the .ai file with both 1.0 and 1.1 and nothing changed. Odd how maps like Durango work find even though there aren't any pickups for the bots.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby !NuB!Donut » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:33 pm

I had to place a crate of TnT in the map so the bots would move

The bot still don't move :cry:
!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:18 pm

Yeah, AI-node are things the bots will try to get when they have really nothing else to do... I'm more surprised that they don't move if you have item like dynamite... Usually, I botclip every item I have, or the bots are always running for them instead of going where they have to...

Also, I'm not sure that a bot can move if he is alone on a map...
Test it with at least 2 of them...
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:03 am

Donut, trying the following, I got a hint towards what might causing your trouble on dm_station: I did
devmap dm_sation
bots_developer 1
devmap dm_station

And then I got repeatedly a fatal error message complaining about "empty aas link heap":
server log wrote:AAS initialized.
^1Fatal: empty aas link heap
WARNING: adding to referenced Paks
-----------------------------------
Hitch warning: 1945 msec frame time
Sending heartbeat to master.quake3arena.com
Sending heartbeat to master0.gamespy.com
Sending heartbeat to master3.idsoftware.com
Rcon from 192.168.100.13: addbot TheMexican 1 red 200 ^2Sid^2
broadcast: print "^2Sid^2^7 entered the game\n"
ClientBegin: 0
Item: 0 item_boiler_plate bought ($15/$20)
Client 180 connecting with 100 challenge ping
:

Searching for this error message yielded:
empty aas link heap: You have a very complex structure in your map that is causing problems for the bots. Parts of the map are very fragmented. Reduce the geometrical complexity or use clip-brushes to reduce the clipping complexity.

Similar to your observations and in contrast to dm_deadwood, I wasn't able to get the bots running at dm_station. Together with the above error message, I assume the problem is already present in the .bsp file and originating from the .map source.

I also compiled the sky map, however without success on the bots. I've seen no error message, which really annoys me. I'll continue to investigate. Maybe I can add some debugging code in which a bot explains why he has no goal or path.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:17 am

I haven't downloaded your .map file, but based on the Doc's post I'm guessing you haven't used any bot-clip brushes?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby !NuB!Donut » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:58 pm

I'm guessing you haven't used any bot-clip brushes?

I used them.

empty aas link heap: You have a very complex structure in your map that is causing problems for the bots. Parts of the map are very fragmented. Reduce the geometrical complexity or use clip-brushes to reduce the clipping complexity.

Even if i delete everything for the map except the ground and the skybox the bots don't whant to move :evil:
!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby LuckyGenDago » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:31 am

Try to recompile it with

cd "D:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns"
"Radiant-1.4\bspc.exe" -forcesidesvisible -optimize -bsp2aas "smokinguns\maps\dm_test.bsp"
pause

you need a .bat file for that.
[IngameName] mS.Dago
TS Admin
LuckyGenDago
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:59 am

!NuB!Donut wrote:Even if i delete everything for the map except the ground and the skybox the bots don't whant to move :evil:

Do bots routes depend on vis splits (question directed at a mapper or coder)? If your map only has a single vis area, the bots might not "see" anywhere else to go. I might be way off on this, but what if you had an "L" shaped map, would the bots move from one end to the other?
Pardner
SG Team

Next

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel