With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

*Released* br_DeathValleyMine

Postby Pardner » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:21 pm

Hi Guys,
Sorry for my absences, I assure you there us a very good reason. I have not had a chance to work on this map at all. I downloaded SG1.1 and was very pleased with it. Got a chance to pop on a pub server this weekend!

I left Death Valley Mine in an *almost* playable state... so...
DOWNLOAD IT HERE

It is playable, functional, but I did not get a chance to polish a few things up. Feel free to post your feedback. I hope to make your changes plus add a "reverse mode"!!

Intro
br_DeathValleyMine is what you get when you combine 5 years of brain-storming with 5 years of practice. I actually started this map around the same time I started NoNameCity. I quickly learned that I didn't have the skill to compete it, so I moved onto Lago and ComancheCanyon.

The map is completely underground and will include two br maps: standard and mirrored; a DM version may also be included. The standard map, the robbers must descend into the mine, rob the gold, and then take the mine-lift out of the mines. In the mirrored map, robbers must fight uphill to reach the top of the mines to get the gold.

The mine tunnels will include such hazards as: collapsing tunnels, dynamite blasts, floored tunnels, and hidden tunnels. Of course, the defenders are considerable dangerous too!

Progress
I am currently lining the structural corridors with a nice rock wall like seen in Comanche Canyon. Some images might appear dark, but thats because I am tweaking the light and the fog as I progress down the tunnels. Here is a breakdown of my progress/plan:
  • Structural Layout: 99%
  • Detail Tunnels: 95%
  • Detail Other: 75%
  • Lighting: 90%
  • Entities (doors, sounds, other): 50%
  • FPS optimization: 50%
  • Gameplay additives (creates, barrels, weapons, etc): 25%
  • Bot support: 0%
  • Overall: 85%

Files
None yet, much too early.

Videos
Old video of the layout.
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Screenshots
Image Image

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by Pardner on Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:46 am, edited 7 times in total.

Pardner
SG Team

wow!

Postby Bart202 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:00 am

when i see your screenshots, especially the last 4 ones, i think i'm a little bit in a dream :)
Smokin' Guns dream ;)
The video looks yea, like many blocks, and on the screens you can see very good progresses! Really nice work!
I just can't wait for the release date ;)
Facebook-Group of Smokin' Players

My hand toolz are colt peacemakers !°
Bart202
Gunslinger

Postby MsH » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:48 am

Make the lift toggle and buttons pressable, not shootable.
And add button to down too. I think it's better :)

Or have you done it already?
MsH
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:55 pm

@Bart202: Yes, the video is before I started with the terrain and the nice rock corridors.

@MsH: The mine-lift is made from a func_plat. If you are not familliar with how they work, they are like all the lifts in Unreal Tournament. I could try making it out of a func_train, but I don't think they work well as activators (with buttons).

The mine-lift goes up and down, but in order to have the lift go down, you have to step off the lift, then step back on (in the video I ride the lift-up twice). I could make the buttons press-able, or I could make the lift activate once a player steps on at the bottom. This would fall under the "Gameplay additives (creates, barrels, weapons, etc): 0% " category!
Pardner
SG Team

Postby MsH » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:22 pm

I have always made lifts from func_door_rotating .. :D

(btw what wip does mean?)
MsH
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:26 pm

How would you make a lift from a func_door_rotating?

*WIP* = Work In Progress
Pardner
SG Team

Postby MsH » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:27 pm

I'll make sample file for you..
I'll send it via pm
MsH
Gunslinger

Postby MsH » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:56 pm

I said func_door_rotating.
What I meaned: func_door :D

I have problems with this, my lift won't work .. :?
Does func_door work in SG?
MsH
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:02 pm

Yes, func_door works in SG. I can see how that would work. Actually that might be better than a func_plat! I will look into it before release.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby !NuB!Donut » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:23 pm

So i made a little testing map for the lift by using a func_door maybe it helps you to understand what msh tried to say.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/cecebab/n/lift.map

Moreover I just can say that the last two screenshot with the "fog" are both very amazing. A good effect on a good place = :-)
!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:38 am

That looks really nice Pard! 8O
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Bart202 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:51 am

Any news for the public, when can you release it, I have a good feeling in it :)
Facebook-Group of Smokin' Players

My hand toolz are colt peacemakers !°
Bart202
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:19 pm

I posted a few new screenshots and updated the progress section a while back. The big room with the bridge took me a week of working to finish. I am using Soc's rockwall method, and I have yet to figure out a good way to make tunnel junctions. Maybe if I get a good method down I will write a tutorial.

No ETA yet. Work is slow and I have been spending a lot of time making and then re-making sections. I have also been tweaking the lights as I go along.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:36 pm

Will you try the new func_train features ?

I dream about a cart running over those rails...
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:48 pm

Joe Kari wrote:Will you try the new func_train features ?

SSSSSssssssshhhhhh!!!!!! you'll spoil all my secrets!!!!! Thats the plan anyway, I have not tried it, but I have designed so that the new features should work. Also, Tequila's dynamite shooter features will be implemented, as well as my silent doors for tunnel cave-ins. Might have to cut some features as I have already hit the max number of entities because I had to use func_static for the texture blending: viewtopic.php?t=2588
Pardner
SG Team

Next

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel