With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Problems with Q3map2toolz

Postby Bart202 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:18 pm

Hey again, today i wanted to work with my new Fort - Map again and my q3map2toolz didn't work anymore. I reinstalled it but nothing else. Always when i want to open it this window appears:

[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/8792_fault_1.jpg][timg]8792_fault_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]

Can anybody help me or can say me an other programm which can open my map ?
Thx.

Greets.
Facebook-Group of Smokin' Players

My hand toolz are colt peacemakers !°
Bart202
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:25 am

Just use q3map2 without a GUI frontend?
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Joe Kari » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:18 pm

You can try your luck on q3map2build, it's the same kind of program.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:41 pm

I would be afraid that q3map2build would have simular errors with Vista/Win7 (assuming that I know what q3map2build is.... older than q3map2toolz?)

As I said before:
  1. Uninstall q3map2toolz
  2. Navigate to where q3map2toolz was installed and delete the q3map2toolz folder that remains.
    • I promise there will be a folder there because you should have copied files from the sg_mapping_toolz_v2.zip to the Q3map2toolz folder durring your installation. The un-install script does not remove our files for you!
  3. Open regedit and search for q3map2toolz and remove any registery entries.
  4. Make a fresh install of q3map2toolz. DO NOT INSTALL TO C:/Program Files/ or C:/Program Files (x86)/. You should install to something like C:/Game Files/. This way you avoid write permission problems.
  5. Lastly, I would run q3map2toolz in XP Compatibility Mode
/dev/random wrote:Just use q3map2 without a GUI frontend?

The best way to compile maps!
Code: Select all
cd "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns"

"smokinguns\compiler\q3map2.exe" -meta  -fs_basepath "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns" "maps\dm_test1.map"
"smokinguns\compiler\q3map2.exe" -vis -fs_basepath "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns"  "maps\dm_test1.bsp"
"smokinguns\compiler\q3map2.exe" -light -patchshadows -super 2  -fs_basepath "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns""maps\dm_test1.bsp"
"Radiant-1.4\bspc.exe" -forcesidesvisible -optimize -bsp2aas "maps\dm_test1.bsp"

pause
smokinguns.exe +sv_pure 0 +devmap dm_test1
Pardner
SG Team

Re: Problems with Q3map2toolz

Postby Bart202 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:13 pm

Hey, can you help me?

I watched for runtime error 303 this time, I saw that you have to search for:
regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\dllfile

Can you search for this file and send this file to me if you have it ? Thanks a lot!

Bart202
Gunslinger

Postby Bart202 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:53 pm

This fault appears .. idk why

What to do against this. At first you come into the game while compiling and then this appears ..

Bart202
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:36 am

You have a bad brush or a bad patch. It could be caused by tons of stuff, but basically you did something that Radiant didn't like. Radiant is old and cranky and you have to it right or else it gets angry!

Try some of these:
  1. TEST: Open your map. press "i" to select everything. In the z-window (all the way to the left of the screen), keep scrolling up or down to see if there is an end of your selected brush. If there is no end no matter how far you scroll.. you got a brush without bound. FIX: One by one select your brushes and hide them "h". once everything is hidden, press "i" and it should select the brush without bound. Press delete.CAUSE: Modifing vertices can confuse Radiant, and radiant lost one of your verticies.
  2. TEST: Look around your map for tiny tiny tiny brushes. FIXIf you find some, delete them. CAUSE: CG subtract is the most evil feature in Radiant. Don't use it...
  3. TEST: Temporarily delete all your patches in your map. You might want to make a copy of your map. Compile your map and see if you get the error. FIX: if you don't get the error then you know that you have a bad patch. One by one copy the patches back into your map until you get the error. Delete the last patch and re-make.CAUSE: same as #1, radiant inconveniently losses verticies.
  4. Worst case: copy your map section by section one at a time into a new map file. Compile each section until you get the error. Then you know what section has the error.

These errors are very typical for beginner mappers. CG subtract is the root of all mapping evils, and new mappers don't know the limits of moving verticies. Only time and experience can reduce these. I say this, but I had to delete a large section of Comanche canyon because I was getting a runtime error!
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Bart202 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:11 pm

Weird .. smile can compile the map without problems .. and james can't .. ?

Bart202
Gunslinger

Postby Bart202 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:14 pm

@ Joe are there any differences in all ? what is the difference between that. ? I will ask Donut to help me, if any1 can do it him .. But i'm pissed of this bugs .. :/

Bart202
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:35 pm

I wouldn't call them bugs. The only bug that you have run into is Q3MAp2Toolz not running correctly on modern operating systems. Run time errors and compile errors are the fault of the mapper. I think q3map2build was meant to by run in parallel with Q3Radiant. Relling back to an older GUI might not fix your Q3Map2Toolz bug, and it definetly wont fix your compile/runtime errors. Even if you roll back to q3map2build, you will still be using the same q3map2.exe compiler and the same smokinguns.exe game. So you are going to need to fix your "Overflow.vert - MAX" error.

I forgot about this. Try running bob's cleanup tool in Radiant:
Plugins --> bobtoolz --> Brush Cleanup
This will delete or try to fix any bad brushes in your map. WARNING: if you a lot of bad brushes, running this tool might delete a lot of your map... so make a backup. But if you do have bad brushes, %95 of the time bob toolz will take care of it
Pardner
SG Team

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel