With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

About q3map2 and gtkradiant

Postby Tequila » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:50 am

Hi,

I found I missed that old thread about q3map2 source request by steve. I checked the archive Red proposed and the related code is about WesternQuake3 q3map2 which is the version 0.0.1. I checked the version provided in the sg_mapping_toolz_v2.zip package and found the version is there 0.0.2.

I guess the only difference between the 2 versions is the name change between WesternQuake3 and Smokin'Guns. I can't remember if this is true as I wasn't concerned by that code at the change time. Can anyone remember if the code between 0.0.1 and 0.0.2 is finally the same ? Pardner ? torhu ?

Indeed my plan is to propose our fully patched own fork from GtkRadiant on GitHub. This fork includes also q3map2_urt which is the q3map2 for UrbanTerror if I guess right...
:twisted:

Join Smokin'Guns Return room on Discord
Tequila
SG Team

Re: About q3map2 and gtkradiant

Postby Pardner » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:12 pm

Tequila wrote:Can anyone remember if the code between 0.0.1 and 0.0.2 is finally the same ? Pardner ? torhu ?

I believe torhu was the one that modified the q3map2 and I do not remember what the differences were.

Tequila wrote:Indeed my plan is to propose our fully patched own fork from GtkRadiant on GitHub.

What version of GTK do you plan to fork? Please please please say Radiant 1.4. I have not had good luck with other versions. The only problem with 1.4 was it did not play nice with my Intel GMA 4500M graphics on my laptop.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:44 pm

Great, so waiting for torhu answer ;)

About GtkRadiant, I forked it from the official upstream version from TTimo. Sorry this is actually GtkRadiant 1.6.3 !! Maybe you can expect some stuffs has been fixed since you had problems... Btw you're a good candidate to test it and request fixes to your conpadre Tequila. And put your bugs and requests in our ticket system through Trac...
:P

I pushed the first update earlier today: First Tequila's commit

Don't forget to check the CHANGELOG to see what I made. Honestly I'll also analyse the spoon's changes to see if we should better modify the game to do stuffs more like other games and keep q3map2 mergeable with upstream.

If someone missed that, the official GtkRadiant with documentations is now hosted by Icculus (aka Ryan C. Gordon): GtkRadiant site

By myself, I build and test all the project without problem under Linux Fedora17. I don't still have time to test it under windows, but just in case anyone want to try, there's the "Compiling GtkRadiant on Windows" guide on the documentation site.
8)

Tequila
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:13 pm

I remember 1.5 ran much better. No crashes, when creating a new map it actually saved, and the 3D window ran smooth. My complaint was they changed the behavior of the editor. I don't remember exactly (been too long!), but I could definitely come up with a list of things that I don't like about 1.5/1.6.

If we are going to maintain a Radiant and a q3map2, then we could rename some of the entities:
shooter_rocket -> shooter_tnt
shooter_plasma -> shooter_molotov
and rename the item_money (or pickup_money) to item_bank_money because I always forget which is which!

I started cleaning up the entities.def to remove all the unused Q3 entities. I should dig that out and commit it to your GTK radiant repository. That way when we have GTK release, we can easily package it with the newest entities.def.

Another side project was to get all the map models in order again, but that is going to be a big task. I don't have some of the source files, and some of the files I do have still use the WQ3 textures. I am not sure where to keep the models/prefabs. Should they be maintained publicly or privately?

I should be able to devote some serious time to SG deving starting March, but the month of February is completely booked.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:09 pm

Pardner wrote:I remember 1.5 ran much better. No crashes, when creating a new map it actually saved, and the 3D window ran smooth. My complaint was they changed the behavior of the editor. I don't remember exactly (been too long!), but I could definitely come up with a list of things that I don't like about 1.5/1.6.

Okay, this maybe the time to change your habits ! :mrgreen:
Btw I'm not against forking another tool like NetRadiant or what ever and even keep the Game Pack in another dedicated repository.

Pardner wrote:If we are going to maintain a Radiant and a q3map2, then we could rename some of the entities:
shooter_rocket -> shooter_tnt
shooter_plasma -> shooter_molotov
and rename the item_money (or pickup_money) to item_bank_money because I always forget which is which!

Fully agree, this is also the time to enhance our Smokin'Guns Game Pack and releated game engine if needed.

Pardner wrote:I started cleaning up the entities.def to remove all the unused Q3 entities. I should dig that out and commit it to your GTK radiant repository. That way when we have GTK release, we can easily package it with the newest entities.def.

Do it, do it !! But a point this is not "my" GTK radiant repository, this is the Smokin'Guns GitHub repository...
Offtopic :
So create an account there and just claim to be in our GitHub organization.

Pardner wrote:Another side project was to get all the map models in order again, but that is going to be a big task. I don't have some of the source files, and some of the files I do have still use the WQ3 textures. I am not sure where to keep the models/prefabs. Should they be maintained publicly or privately?
If you're not sure about the associated license, this should firstly be maintained privately. Then we can change our mind later. Also, I vote to get rid of old WQ3 name parts everywhere we can for the next release. I guess we should do that soon but we may still want to start a beta for the engine before release updated medias.

Pardner wrote:I should be able to devote some serious time to SG deving starting March, but the month of February is completely booked.
:o
Pardner is soon back again !!!
Great news
:wink:

Tequila
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:35 pm

Tequila wrote:Okay, this maybe the time to change your habits ! :mrgreen:

8D
All kidding aside, I was at the point in 1.5 where I was not able to accomplish what I needed to do, so I had 1.4 AND 1.5 installed. IIRC, there was a problem with tweaking texture and vertices.

Tequila wrote:
Pardner wrote:Another side project was to get all the map models in order again, but that is going to be a big task. I don't have some of the source files, and some of the files I do have still use the WQ3 textures. I am not sure where to keep the models/prefabs. Should they be maintained publicly or privately?
If you're not sure about the associated license, this should firstly be maintained privately.

So these files would be release publicly with the mapping tools. The only advantage of maintaining them privately would be to control what gets committed.

Tequila wrote:Also, I vote to get rid of old WQ3 name parts everywhere we can for the next release. I guess we should do that soon but we may still want to start a beta for the engine before release updated medias.

I started the process. I think I changed all the textures on the prefabs. I ran into problems when I started compiling the prefabs into ASE models. There were many prefabs with vertices off the grid.... i.e. broken when compiled.

Tequila wrote:
Offtopic :
So create an account there and just claim to be in our GitHub organization.

Offtopic :
I know I know... remember how long it took for me to get up to speed with the SVN repository!
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Tequila wrote:If you're not sure about the associated license, this should firstly be maintained privately.

I just noticed that you have all the ASE models up on GITHub. That might be enough. I feel we should also have the equivalent prefabs there are well, but some of those ASE models are from the ICI team. We have permission to distribute the ASEs, but maybe not the MAP files.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby torhu » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:14 pm

I can't really remember doing anything related to q3map, sorry. I think it was El Vakond who merged our custom q3map with the new version of the vanilla q3map2. Maybe I compiled it, but I think that's all.

And I found a patch with some minor changes to the bspc tool, which I think I did for one of L3th4l's maps. Don't know if that's interesting or not.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:00 pm

torhu wrote:I can't really remember doing anything related to q3map, sorry. I think it was El Vakond who merged our custom q3map with the new version of the vanilla q3map2. Maybe I compiled it, but I think that's all.

Okay, I'm still confident the missed revision is only related to the game name change from Western Quake3.

torhu wrote:And I found a patch with some minor changes to the bspc tool, which I think I did for one of L3th4l's maps. Don't know if that's interesting or not.

Well have you something to eat ? An archive or a patch ? Will see if it's relevant now. Btw I remember I deleted something like that from the svn a long time ago, maybe this was the one you modified. Eventually, do you remember why L3th4l's map needed that and if we still have this one, does it still need that ?
8)

Tequila
SG Team

Postby torhu » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:39 pm

Original discussion and patch.I can't remember which map he was working on at the time. Could even be the one that he said he lost. Outlaw Run or something.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby torhu » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:58 pm

I did some more digging on my HD. :twisted: Here you will find the custom bspc exe, and the q3map stuff that El V once sent me. There are four versions of the q3map 1/2 source there. You can see that he diffed the old WQ3 version with the vanilla version, then used the diff (and maybe some manual editing) to create the WQ3 version of q3map2.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:44 am

He he, this has the taste of Western Quake3 History.
I downloaded the packages. I saw the diff about q3map ( this is q3map, not q3map2 8O ) and this is basicly the same mods than the one I pushed in GtkRadiant repository (thank to old ReD archive). I only see something more related to models skins, but I think we can not care about.

About bspc, this is only a one line change other a define, not a great deal. As far as bot are still mostly stupid, I don't know if we should care.

Thank you torhu for your research ;)

Tequila
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:26 am

Hi, finally I also forked bspc from TTimo's repository.

You'll find it on our Smokin'Guns Github repository.

I patched the upstream so it builds cleanly under linux with just a "make".

I also applied on the last commit the patch torhu digged up...

Tequila
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Tequila wrote:Indeed my plan is to propose our fully patched own fork from GtkRadiant on GitHub. This fork includes also q3map2_urt which is the q3map2 for UrbanTerror if I guess right... :twisted:

game_smokinguns.h is missing for q3map2:
gcc -o build/release/q3map2/tools/quake3/q3map2/main.o -c -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -Wall -fmessage-length=0 -fvisibility=hidden -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -DQ_NO_STLPORT -DSMOKINGUNS -Itools/quake3/common -Ibuild/release/q3map2/include -Iinclude -Ibuild/release/q3map2/libs -Ilibs tools/quake3/q3map2/main.c

In file included from tools/quake3/q3map2/main.c:37:0:
tools/quake3/q3map2/q3map2.h:1906:62: fatal error: game_smokinguns.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
scons: *** [build/release/q3map2/tools/quake3/q3map2/main.o] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Tequila » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:31 pm

8(
Thank you TheDoctor for the remind...

The was just not commited... Too much Tequila :mrgreen:
This is fixed right now.

Tequila
SG Team