With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Fan made maps

Postby Biondo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:37 pm

No argument intended here, I know that you (devs and server admins) are doing of your best and even more, but when will an official repository for maps be online and well linked? I mean, both for traditional servers and for Baller Bude?

If any one is experiencing the same problem of Jippi, send me a private message and I'll supply you the missing PK3s for Baller.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Re: Baller Bude Feedback, Discussion, Question & Answer Thre

Postby Pardner » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Biondo wrote:when will an official repository for maps be online and well linked? I mean, both for traditional servers and for Baller Bude?

This is what I had hoped Moddb could be used for. I cannot force people to upload their maps there. Anybody and everybody is able to upload addons to the Moddb page: you do not have to have our permission (Haris' maps are uploaded there). I feel weird uploading people's maps for them... so I don't.

If you do download something from Moddb... please rate it afterwards (right side of your screen).

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Biondo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:53 pm

Thanks Pardner, ModDB was one of first sites I've looked up before answering (PM) to Jippi. But I think that maps should live in this page: http://www.smokin-guns.org/downloads

It's called "Downloads" after all, isn't it?
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Pardner » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:05 pm

Yes, but not everybody has access to it. If we put some up then we would have to put all up. I was think the Downloads page was for offical SG released stuff. What do we do with the un-official stuff. For instance, I cannot stand that tiny BR map (Warehouse I think). I would kick and scream before letting it be released in an offical SG pk3 :? But, if it were to find its way up on Moddb I would gladly download it, rate it, and give feedback.

Also, I am not seeing a "Upload file" when I click edit on the Downloads page. If I, as a page editor, am not able to upload files, then there are only a few people who actually can upload files.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Biondo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:26 pm

This is a good point.

But SG HAS to be the main site. ModDB, Valve, what else, should be secondary sources.

I don't follow SG sites since long times, so I don't know how easy it is to upload files, but I followed Téquila and I know that he is really opened to anyone who wants to contribute.

Let's publish crappy maps and models. Maybe no one will be able to contribute such good maps as you (I'm sincere here, you know), as ReD, as Joe Kari and Coup' George, and as Iron Claws Interactive, (or as Steve -- at least for his unparalleled textures), but let the players decide what they like and give them an easy to find repository.

This is what I think.

[I should have also cited Donut/Muffin and MsH, and 'Lon. Nice maps.]
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Pardner » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:31 pm

Biondo wrote:I followed Téquila and I know that he is really opened to anyone who wants to contribute.

Let's publish crappy maps and models.

Just to let you know, and hopefully get this forum back on topic, we have had much discussion about this right before 1.1RC1. I then disappeared and I don't think much got done as far as the fan map pak. I see a fan pak did make it into the release, but it includes all Donuts map's.... which I thought were supposed to be in the actual SG pak. I will look into doing something for 1.2
Pardner
SG Team

Re: Fan made maps

Postby Pardner » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:41 pm

Split from Baller Bude Feedback, Discussion, Question & Answer Thread

This thread might server as an open discussion about how SG should handle all fan made maps.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby NightcrawleR » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:09 am

If you're using Drupal, there is not doubt in my mind an extension that would allow people to upload their own files. I can't play on the main server right now because it has maps that I don't have, and I can't find the link to download them at.

I assume Rawhide 1.1 is still the main server. And if so, any custom maps that are on that server should be readily available on this site, or else new players will be quickly deterred.

Specifically, once that portion of the site is made, the message when someone gets kicked from a server should not say "missing file xxx.bsp", but it should rather say "You are missing xxx.bsp from your baseq3 directory. To retrieve this file, please go to www.smokin-guns.org/downloads"

Or, even better, directly allow people to download from servers. Perhaps back when WQ3 was first made, this was not even a possibility, but this is definitely something to be given thought in this era of computing.
NightcrawleR
Pistolero

Postby Pardner » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:31 am

NightcrawleR wrote:Or, even better, directly allow people to download from servers. Perhaps back when WQ3 was first made, this was not even a possibility, but this is definitely something to be given thought in this era of computing.

Tequila has given me write access to the SG autodownloads directory (http://download.smokin-guns.org/auto-download/) RAWHIDE uses this for the autodownloads server. All the client needs to do is set cl_allowdownload 1 and the map will be downloaded as soon as they come up in the rotation. Since SG 1.1 now uses HTTP downloads, this takes less than a minute rather than hours.

Since I have access to the autodownload directory, please let me know of any maps that should be uploaded.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby NightcrawleR » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:49 am

Glad to see that's implemented! Thanks!
NightcrawleR
Pistolero

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:05 pm

Pardner wrote:Since I have access to the autodownload directory, please let me know of any maps that should be uploaded.

You dont have to, but if you ask me, I would like you to mirror http://mirror.9k.lv/smokinguns/smokinguns/. Moreover, I strongly suggest to not rename .pk3 files. In the future, if you substitute .pk3 files, please announce it in the forum.

If you want to handpick maps, take a look at the first post of this thread, which includes an overview on maps who were additional to SG1.1b4
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Pardner » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

TheDoctor wrote:Moreover, I strongly suggest to not rename .pk3 files. In the future, if you substitute .pk3 files, please announce it in the forum.

What pk3s were renamed? I don't think we renamed anything since the authors released their content. We may have included maps into our own pk3. station and ghosttown into fan_pak and comanchecanyon into pak0 (which should have been released as pak1)
Pardner
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:29 pm

Pardner wrote:What pk3s were renamed?
This was meant as an advice. PK3 files are identified by name. If a file is renamed, everyone will have to download it again.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Pardner » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:43 pm

|D I understand :wink:
Pardner
SG Team

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel