With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

[DM] - WhiteSand Hideout

Postby MachoBastard » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:35 am

This time i brought:

[WhiteSand Hideout]
Rev. 12

Historic Manure:

None!, this map is the by-product of a "mysterious cowboy weed" cigar. :twisted:

Map Details:

-Bot Friendly

-Good for 5+ players

-PK3 Ready (Just copy to "Smokin' Guns/smokinguns/" and you are ready to go!)

-Includes Dev Files (.map/textures/scripts and so, for those who feel like mapping)

-Hi-Res Lightmaps (May cause weird lightning glitches, depends on your hardware based on my tests.)

-2 Modes Included (2 different maps).

-Cash Mode (Only cash spawns in the map, classic SG)
-Weapon Mode (Only weapons spawn in the map, no cash).

Tech Details:

-Some new textures made by me (Some are from SG slightly modified).
-It took me Aprox. 15 mapping hours and 2+ design hours.
-Compile time 8min Aprox.

Was planned to be release about 5 days ago but some health issues got in the way.

Also, i'm starting a texture/maps (not exclusive to SG)DB blog project which took some of my free time. i'll add a link as soon as i've it decent enough.

That said, let's roll!.

Download here y'all!
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Re: [DM] - WhiteSand Hideout

Postby Biondo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Wonderful! Another map that looks quite enjoyable. And great textures too (love those saguaros and yucca plants, or whatever they are). Nice work, MachoBastad.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby MsH » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:40 pm

Wow, this is simply beautiful!
I kinda like that white-purple colourtheme :D
If you tried to make very bright map you successes very well!

Keep mapping!
MsH
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:11 am

Great work !

I also mirrored the file there: WhiteSandH-Rev12.rar

:twisted:

Join Smokin'Guns Return room on Discord
Tequila
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Thank you, Macho, for another map. You really getting into top form :wink:.

From today on, the map is available on Baller Bude and can be voted for by opening the in-game console and typing \callvote map dm_wsand (with money) and \callvote map dm_wsand-w (with weapons).

Finally, my apologies for not responding earlier, but since the release of this map, this is my first day at home again.

Best regards,

TheDoctor
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby TheDoctor » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:43 pm

One immediate feedback: I really do like your idea of restricting the players via trigger_hurt, but on some corners, the hurt is too close to the buildings.

Taken the above linked picture as an example, a player can barely make it around the lower left corner without getting hurt. Since there is no optical cue such as a different texture, this could be very frustrating.

Aside from moving the boundaries, one may also consider to change set dmg to 1 and use the slow parameter of trigger_hurt, which reduces the damage frequency to one per second. After all, you want just communicate to the player where not to go, not really to kill them off:
QUAKED trigger_hurt (.5 .5 .5) ? START_OFF - SILENT NO_PROTECTION SLOW

Any entity that touches this will be hurt. It does dmg points of damage each server frame. Targeting the trigger will toggle its on / off state.

SILENT - suppresses playing the sound
SLOW - changes the damage rate to once per second
NO_PROTECTION - *nothing* stops the damage
DMG - damage value; default 5 (whole numbers only)

I'll post more feedback later.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Biondo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:09 pm

MachoBastard, I am curious about this burning restriction around the walking area (TheDoctor technically called it "trigger_hurt"). Don't know if I like it or not, but I'd like to understand what motivated you for introducing such a strange anomaly.
I also agree with TheDoctor that -- since you don't have any kind of clue about your reaching the invisible (and sometimes deadly, depending on your actual health) obstacle -- in some points, the burning danger is too close to the buildings.

Now that I played it against human opponents a few times, I can confirm my first impression that it's a really fun map.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby MachoBastard » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:35 am

Taken the above linked picture as an example, a player can barely make it around the lower left corner without getting hurt. Since there is no optical cue such as a different texture, this could be very frustrating.

Aside from moving the boundaries, one may also consider to change set dmg to 1 and use the slow parameter of trigger_hurt, which reduces the damage frequency to one per second.

Sup doc, yeah, i took a lot of considerations and stuff about the damage trigger, but when i put set it to slow it was just way too slow, the main idea was to stop the player from wandering around and check out the map limitations, i guess i just wanted to preserve the illusion of a big desert lol.

After all, you want just communicate to the player where not to go, not really to kill them off:

I did make a post sign model, but i never implemented it mostly because i had no idea what the message should be, it actually said "Caliente!", refering to sun heat |D

if this turns out to be a big problem gameplay-wise or player-wise, i'll definitely recompile a revision with a few changes. :)

MachoBastard, I am curious about this burning restriction around the walking area (TheDoctor technically called it "trigger_hurt"). Don't know if I like it or not, but I'd like to understand what motivated you for introducing such a strange anomaly.
I also agree with TheDoctor that -- since you don't have any kind of clue about your reaching the invisible (and sometimes deadly, depending on your actual health) obstacle -- in some points, the burning danger is too close to the buildings.

Hiya Biondo, Indeed the limits are a bit "tight", mostly because i felt the terrain was a bit too small, to tell the truth i never intended to release this map, but i kinda liked how it turned out in the final stages. :)

Wonderful! Another map that looks quite enjoyable. And great textures too (love those saguaros and yucca plants, or whatever they are). Nice work, MachoBastad.

The textures were a bit annoying to blend, specially the sand-plaster-brick, but its worth it, i'm thinkin' on implementing it on all my other mapping projects.

And they are actually "Agave" plants, which didn't turn out so good looking so i had to photoshop em like hell. ergo, the darkened leafs and stuff |D

Wow, this is simply beautiful!
I kinda like that white-purple colourtheme :D
If you tried to make very bright map you successes very well!

Glad you like it MsH, the purple part was not entirely on purpose but i didn't try to change it cause it kinda gives a "cold sand" feeling on the darkest parts of the map. :)

Now that's what i call a long reply |D
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby JippiJaYeah » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:57 am

Hiya Biondo, Indeed the limits are a bit "tight", mostly because i felt the terrain was a bit too small, to tell the truth i never intended to release this map, but i kinda liked how it turned out in the final stages. :)

Btw: It's possible to run through the invisible fire up to the end of map.
In game: JippieJaYeah aka TheFlyingChicken
http://www.lameclan.org
JippiJaYeah
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:11 am

I popped on kiwi for a few minutes and played this map.

WOW

just WOW

this maps plays extremly well to the WQ3 2.0 days of sneak and shoot game style. I only played a 1vs1 match against someone who refused to give me his alias other than Stranger.

Very good map. I am very jealous. Just beautiful. Very simple. Very clean easy to navigate and adheres wonderfully to the SG gamestyle.

They only thing I noticed was a lot of ammo, but no money.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:22 pm

Pardner wrote:They only thing I noticed was a lot of ammo, but no money.

The recent maps of Byox/MachoBastard contain two modes: one where money is placed (\callvote map dm_wsand) and one where weapons are placed (\callvote map dm_wsand-w).
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel