With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

[DM]Gray Stallion Manor

Postby MachoBastard » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:24 pm

Sup pardners, i got you:

[Gray Stallion Manor]
Rev. 47

Historic Manure:

None!, but i took some structural/appearance references from "Peon Contreras Theater" in Yucatan, Mexico.

Map Details:

-Bot Friendly (Optimized to avoid erratic Bot behavior).

-Good for 8+ players

-PK3 Ready (Just copy to "Smokin' Guns/smokinguns/" and you are ready to go!)

-Includes Dev Files (.map/textures/scripts and so, for those who feel like mapping)

-Hi-Res Lightmaps (May cause weird lightning glitches, depends on your hardware based on my tests.)

-2 Modes Included (2 different maps).

-Cash Mode (Only cash spawns in the map, classic SG)
-Weapon Mode (Only weapons spawn in the map, no cash).

Tech Details:

-Many new textures made by me (Some from Joey/SG Staff slightly modified.).
-Some new ASE Models made by me.
-It took me Aprox. 22 mapping hours and 4+ design hours.
-Compile time 12min Aprox.

Notes and manure:

This map ended up way bigger than i planed it to be (gameplay-wise) so i suggest as much Bots or Players as you can.

Regarding FPS, i cannot tell, since im runnin a low-mid range pc (4Ghz X2,HD5770), i really can't low my FPS and debug/optimize FPS-wise, if it turns out to be low FPS for someone let me know, i'll try to re-optimize as much as i can.

Packed with Rar5! (allegedly a new compression method), Use Version 5 or higher of winrar to avoid any problems.
Let's shoot!.

Download here y'all!

rev47 - mirror
MD5: 33f7701524bbbee06082a4fffb4b7311

@Tequila

first of all thanks for the wikipedia space, unfortunately even after being a developer for Flash,HTML5,Wordpress,Joomla and all kinds of webrelated stuff i did never come across a wikipedia page, so i've no clue about how to use it, a slight explanation would be appreciated pardner, also, as you can see in this release, 20mb will be a bit insufficient haha. |D
Last edited by Tequila on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added mirror link
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Re: [DM]Gray Stallion Manor

Postby Barto » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:08 pm

I spent like 5 minutes with a lot of bots and I was impressed! This map is imho well balanced: open places, hidden places, hallways, everything is there and you'll never spawn in a 'hot' spot of the map.

Sadly I saw a lot of missing textures (maybe caused by the aas models, not sure). For example, the plants weren't having a gamma channel (so there was a black border) and lamps were displaying the famous gray corresponding to a not found texture.

I really liked the first impression I got. All of your maps got some hidden places (which I love to discover). I firstly found the 'hidden' place behind the "wall of crates", so I thought there was no other hidden places. But then I found the cave full of gold! I wasn't expecting one more floor!

Anyway, nice map again buddy!
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby MachoBastard » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Sadly I saw a lot of missing textures (maybe caused by the aas models, not sure). For example, the plants weren't having a gamma channel (so there was a black border) and lamps were displaying the famous gray corresponding to a not found texture.

Hiya Barto, that's very weird, since i triple tested it with just the main sg_0.pk3 and the dm_gstallion.pk3 i uploaded, and everything goes fine, even without the ase files (since i understand they are compiled inside the .bsp), i am thinkin this is related to the old files from some of my previous releases, try this, compress all my previous releases into a rar file and delete the pk3 files, and test it, im pretty confident that's gonna do it. :)

do let me know if that solves the problem, if not i'll look deeper into it an reupload a new revision.
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Barto » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:35 pm

MachoBastard wrote:even without the ase files (since i understand they are compiled inside the .bsp)

Yeah, ase files are kinda some pre-made .bsp file that gets bundled into the final map file.

MachoBastard wrote:I am thinkin this is related to the old files from some of my previous releases, try this, compress all my previous releases into a rar file and delete the pk3 files, and test it, im pretty confident that's gonna do it.

Removed your other maps, it solved the problem. Thank you my friend!
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Tequila » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:38 pm

MachoBastard wrote:Sup pardners, i got you:

[Gray Stallion Manor]
Rev. 47

@Tequila

first of all thanks for the wikipedia space, unfortunately even after being a developer for Flash,HTML5,Wordpress,Joomla and all kinds of webrelated stuff i did never come across a wikipedia page, so i've no clue about how to use it, a slight explanation would be appreciated pardner, also, as you can see in this release, 20mb will be a bit insufficient haha. |D

Hi MachoBastard ! Great work again !

Just to keep stuff accurate, our wiki is not wikipedia. Wikipedia is a wiki site based on MediaWiki. Our wiki is based on Trac. Editing a wiki page is almost simple even if you can need to know some wiki syntax. A wiki page is also space where collaboration is possible. You may create a first page and I or anyone here can go to fix or enhance the way it looks.
Wiki markups are similar to BBCode. Take a look here: WikiFormatting
You may even create your SandBox. Follow the link and clic on the Create this page button after been logged with your forum user credentials.

In fact you just need to try it to find it simple and useful
;)

About big maps, well for you as a great contributor, I can open a dedicated FTP, FTPS or SFTP (contact me in private if you're interested). Or you can just ask me to mirror the file around there.

Last point, I changed your forum rank to "SG Contributor", you deserve since too much time...
:twisted:

Join Smokin'Guns Return room on Discord
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Biondo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:05 am

I'm not able to unpack the RAR file (no way to update unrar in my really obsolete Ubuntu version). Would it be possible to have a more commonly used compression format in SG stuff directory? Thanks MachoBastard, thanks Tequila.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Tequila » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Seems MachoBastard is using a very recent RAR format. I wasn't able too to extract the file with legacy unrar 4.0 I had on my computer.

Btw I was able to just use the unrar program from RARLAB official package of rar v5.01 for Linux x86_64 and I extracted everything in /stuffs/gstallion sub-folder. So you can directly download dm_gstallion.pk3

:twisted:

Tequila
SG Team

Postby Biondo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks a lot! I imagined that somebody else could have experienced the same problem.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Biondo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:55 pm

Nice work again, MachoBastard!
OK, tested the map that looks really well designed (though a little bit too claustrophobic for me). Have to recheck it in a real fight, with real humans.

I haven't understood how to solve the problem of missing textures. I would be grateful if you could enlighten me on this point. If I remove all other MachoBastard's .pk3 the map is OK. But now what? If I want to play Mulege Prison, for instance, I have to download the map again and the problem is back in Gray Stallion Manor.

A question: what are those blue, or black, rectangles -- like sprayed stencil paint -- spread randomly all over the textures (I mean, also when playing with all the right textures in place)?

@TheDoctor: the 'callvote map' for Gray Stallion Manor doesn't work in Baller Bude (neither for me, nor for other players, and in both version, C/W, of the map). At least not from the graphic menu.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby MachoBastard » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:43 am

OK, tested the map that looks really well designed (though a little bit too claustrophobic for me). Have to recheck it in a real fight, with real humans.

To me also, im more of open spaces, i wanted to vary a little bit since we don't all like the same stuff.

I haven't understood how to solve the problem of missing textures. I would be grateful if you could enlighten me on this point. If I remove all other MachoBastard's .pk3 the map is OK. But now what? If I want to play Mulege Prison, for instance, I have to download the map again and the problem is back in Gray Stallion Manor.

Yup, removing the pk3's would solve the problems, coz i made some changes to my script files for this release, but the old script file inside the pk3 files from my previous maps contain outdated info, the only 2 solutions would be to re-upload my previous releases packed with the newest script files, or to make a sort of "map pack" containing all my releases so far, all working of course, ill look into it since i dunno if releasing a map-pack would be problematic size-wise.

A question: what are those blue, or black, rectangles -- like sprayed stencil paint -- spread randomly all over the textures (I mean, also when playing with all the right textures in place)?

you mean you see this color light blobs no matter if you delete the previous pk3 files?, if you do, do you see this same problem on any of my previous maps?, i had this problem in Mulege Prison when i first tried High-Res Lightmaps, but turns out it was a hardware problem on an old pc.

Seems MachoBastard is using a very recent RAR format. I wasn't able too to extract the file with legacy unrar 4.0 I had on my computer.

Yeah, im using Rar5 compression method, don't even know if there are advantages to it, but it's very likely we gonna start seeing a lot of Rar5 files soon, you can download the V5.0 from the official site, its a 30day trial, or look for a portable (unless you are against "warez", haha). Rar 5 should be available for ubuntu too.

About ubuntu, i know squat, been a long time since i bacame alergic to WINE, so i went back to good old simple WinXP, of coz til i had some hardware update and XP became outdated and i was pushed to use the "more reliable" Win7, which is so far to my personal experience slow(USB, LAN, HDD, SSD), heavy, glitchy.
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Tequila » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:48 am

MachoBastard wrote:Yup, removing the pk3's would solve the problems, coz i made some changes to my script files for this release, but the old script file inside the pk3 files from my previous maps contain outdated info, the only 2 solutions would be to re-upload my previous releases packed with the newest script files, or to make a sort of "map pack" containing all my releases so far, all working of course, ill look into it since i dunno if releasing a map-pack would be problematic size-wise.

Why not use "versioned" scripts in their name ? So use, for example, "*_v2" in most recent maps, and even later you'll be able to use them for old map update eventually.

Or if old maps can use your updated scripts, can you provide a MachoBastard common libraries PK3 taking care of its name so it will force it to be loaded before others ?

Still sorry if I said stupid things :roll:

Tequila
SG Team

Postby Biondo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Thanks for the answer, MachoBastard.

Missing textures: Thanks for the details. I'll try to make use of them as soon as possible. About making a "map pack" containing all your releases I'm not sure it could be a good idea, since the download time when connecting to a game server (for players that don't have the maps already) could become boringly long. IMO, better to keep maps individually packed.

Rectangles of colour: I don't see them in all of your maps. Only in 5 Gents Hacienda and in Gray Stallion Manor, so if it is a hardware related problem, it also depends on the single map properties. Below find some screenshots taken in Gray Stallion Manor [each colour spot is pointed out by a Bansky's Spraycan Rodeo Cowgirl, don't ask me why :-)].

My graphical settings --when not playing with picmip 9-- are as follow:

Code: Select all
set r_picmip "0"
set r_vertexLight "0"
set r_dynamiclight "1"
set r_gamma "2.5"
set r_ignorehwgamma "0"
set r_intensity "1"
set r_detailtextures "1"
set r_ext_multisample "1"
seta r_ext_multitexture "1"
set r_ext_texture_env_add "1"
set r_flares "1"
set r_ext_framebuffer "0"

Is there something I'm doing wrong in my q3config.cfg settings?

Rar5: If not strictly necessary I prefer using Linux Free and ready-to-use software over proprietary one. Since Linux players represent a substantial part of SG's user base, it's a good thing that a RARLAB official package for Linux exists (thank you, Tequila), but I preferred to directly download Tequila's repacked pk3.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby /dev/random » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:54 pm

Biondo wrote:Rar5: If not strictly necessary I prefer using Linux Free and ready-to-use software over proprietary one.

I second that. Please use either the good old ZIP, or if you're after the few bytes of compressing use e.g. 7z.
Either way it'd be better to cut down the pk3 on size (not its containing .rar etc.), since that's what's being transfered via autodownload.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:53 am

Thank Macho, for your contributions!

From today on, the map is available on Baller Bude and can be voted for by opening the in-game console and typing \callvote map dm_gstallion (with money) and \callvote map dm_gstallion-w (with weapons).

As written above, the problem of "apparently" missing shaders and non-transparent leaves is related to dm_wsand using an earlier version of the script/bx* shader files. For Baller Bude, I fixed this problem by updating dm_wsand.pk3 (md5sum ecb483a4c86e2da737b9f2cf06b8ee3c) by including the most recent shader files taken from dm_gstallion. If you did already downloaded the official, previous version (md5sum 52920137e99658e9b2bd44522de0f73b), you may want to delete the old file to ensure, you do not still encounter said problems offline.

Best regards,

TheDoctor
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MachoBastard » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:57 am

Rectangles of colour: I don't see them in all of your maps. Only in 5 Gents Hacienda and in Gray Stallion Manor, so if it is a hardware related problem, it also depends on the single map properties. Below find some screenshots taken in Gray Stallion Manor [each colour spot is pointed out by a Bansky's Spraycan Rodeo Cowgirl, don't ask me why :-)].

I wouldn't know on the settings, i run my SG copy maxed out, also, all the maps have been equally compiled (High-Res Lightmaps), the only thing i slightly alter is the sun intensity and the bouncing a little bit depending on the map ambient, this kind of "spray spots" ive not seen, i don't think its the same issue i came across before, the one that was hardware related, you'll have to talk to the SRC guys.

As written above, the problem of "apparently" missing shaders and non-transparent leaves is related to dm_wsand using an earlier version of the script/bx* shader files. For Baller Bude, I fixed this problem by updating dm_wsand.pk3

You saved me some time on that doc, thanks, feel free to fix any other of my maps if required (lol).

I second that. Please use either the good old ZIP, or if you're after the few bytes of compressing use e.g. 7z.

True, 7zip is the best compression out there that i've tried, i'll look into it for my future releases.

Why not use "versioned" scripts in their name ? So use, for example, "*_v2" in most recent maps, and even later you'll be able to use them for old map update eventually.

Or if old maps can use your updated scripts, can you provide a MachoBastard common libraries PK3 taking care of its name so it will force it to be loaded before others ?

Still sorry if I said stupid things

I got mostly nothin of what you said doc, haha, now that i know how this engine takes priority on pk3 files seems im gonna be using lots of suffixes for new materials even if they are just slightly different, if not i could screw up previous/future releases.

If not strictly necessary I prefer using Linux Free and ready-to-use software over proprietary one. Since Linux players represent a substantial part of SG's user base, it's a good thing that a RARLAB official package for Linux exists (thank you, Tequila), but I preferred to directly download Tequila's repacked pk3.

Yeah, im not really familiar with linux, ive tried it only a couple times, it's "Awesomeness" is not in question tho, seems i'll be lookin into an alternative, my best guess would be 7z. but i think i said that before |D
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Next

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel