With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Re: A fresh map for all you gunslingers out there ;)

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:34 am

Prodigy wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:Please test this map on another server and report back, whether or not you experience the same problem.
I tried those methods before, the issue still haunt me.

Let me rephrase: you did experience the same problem on other servers such as "SweetWater Test" or "smokin-guns.org-MIXED" as well?

Please conduct the following tests:
  1. Temporarily rename the Smokin'Guns user folder
  2. Connect to "SweetWater Test" or "smokin-guns.org-MIXED" and test the Sweetwater map. Does the problem occur?
  3. Connect to "Baller Bude" and test the Sweetwater map. Does the problem occur?
  4. Connect to "SweetWater Test" or "smokin-guns.org-MIXED" again and test the Sweetwater map. Does the problem occur?
  5. If the problem is not solved, restore the original Smokin'Guns user folder
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Prodigy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:24 pm

TheDoctor wrote:Let me rephrase: you did experience the same problem on other servers such as "SweetWater Test" or "smokin-guns.org-MIXED" as well?

Yes, on both of them.
TheDoctor wrote:Please conduct the following tests:
1. Temporarily rename the Smokin'Guns user folder

I renamed Smokin' Guns folder, not smokinguns folder inside Smokin' Guns folder beside qkey and servercache.dat.
TheDoctor wrote:2. Connect to "SweetWater Test" or "smokin-guns.org-MIXED" and test the Sweetwater map. Does the problem occur?

When I was connecting to SweetWater Test server, I was kicked for "ERROR: couldn't load maps/dm_sweetwater.bsp, then I enabled auto-download and I succeeded in downloading the map and also not stuck again in the map loading screen, and then I felt a relief!
But now I have other frustration! I saw that I can't play with my old q3config.cfg without stuck again in the SweetWater map loading screen!
It seems that a/some customized console command(s) or/and in-game option(s) I made create me this map loading screen problem. So maybe the only thing I can do now is wasting lots of time detecting the command(s)/option(s) that create me this map loading screen problem or if you already know what is the solution for my problem or that I should try other methods to see if it will resolve my problem, please tell me.
TheDoctor wrote:3. Connect to "Baller Bude" and test the Sweetwater map. Does the problem occur?
4. Connect to "SweetWater Test" or "smokin-guns.org-MIXED" again and test the Sweetwater map. Does the problem occur?
5. If the problem is not solved, restore the original Smokin'Guns user folder[/list]

Do I still need to take those steps too?

Thanks a lot for your help and time!
Breathe the pressure
Come play my game, I'll test ya
Psychosomatic, addict, insane
Prodigy
Drifter

Postby TheDoctor » Fri May 01, 2020 10:47 am

Prodigy wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:Step 3 to 5 ...
Do I still need to take those steps too?

No, if you are sure, the problem is inside your old q3config.cfg, then you don't need to do this.

A good strategy to find the problem inside your cfg is to split it into two equal parts. Apply part A to see if the problem exists, then apply part B. The error should only occur either in A or B, so you cut the problem in half. Repeat this strategy until you find the setting.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Prodigy » Wed May 06, 2020 1:25 am

Incredible! I knew from the start what was my problem with the loading screen, the graphics, and exactly where, the Lighting effects! After so many methods I used trying to fix this issue, I went from the beginning that I didn't even started with! So my first of all thoughts, were that I need to change the Lighting from Vertex (low) to Light Map (high) (the default graphic option)! Incredible impressive hard work I needed to do! But the most weird part is that when I was using a fresh unmodified q3config.cfg file with all its default commands inside it, the blocking map loading screen still was present! Hmm! I'm getting further more paranoid, ha?!

Sorry that I wasted you so much time in helping me with my frustrating and ridiculous situation, but at least, in case other players have my same problem of stuck in the map loading screen, this would be the solution.

P.S.: Even when I escaped of this problem, I have a low FPS in SweetWater and glitches appear everywhere on the map, but it's obvious, for what else I changed the default graphic Lighting option, if not for a smoother game-play?!
Breathe the pressure
Prodigy
Drifter

Postby Breli » Wed May 06, 2020 8:11 am

Hi, good to hear that you solved your key issue here.

About this:

Prodigy wrote:P.S.: Even when I escaped of this problem, I have a low FPS in SweetWater and glitches appear everywhere on the map, but it's obvious, for what else I changed the default graphic Lighting option, if not for a smoother game-play?![/size]

ad performance: The map is NOT optimized for performance in any way and, given the overall layout, it is not possible to improve it significantly without removing lots of eye candy. What kind of equipement do you have? We tested the map without major performance issues on business laptops (!). Personally, I can't test performance with my rig here ...

ad glitches: Please explain! What kind of glitches? There were a couple of visual bugs. Can you please post screens or explain what the problem is?

thanks!

Breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Prodigy » Mon May 11, 2020 4:57 pm

Here are the 30 glitchy screenshots I took in SweetWater server and map: https://postimg.cc/gallery/DKY19yB
Those are my old PC specifications: https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-th ... ne-series/
Those are my laptop specifications: https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspi ... 00-gb-hdd/
I think that my old rig render incorrectly or/and doesn't render at all what he don't support.
The more I spend time in SweetWater, the more glitches will be generated, low FPS rate and also some parts of the respective map are factors too.
My laptop on Vertex (low) doesn't stuck in the map loading screen as my PC, nor it have low FPS on SweetWater map, and even on Light Map (high) it won't reproduce any glitchy situations.
Breathe the pressure
Prodigy
Drifter

Postby Breli » Tue May 12, 2020 10:36 pm

Hi Prodigy,

That looks really weird and is nothing I can influence with the map directly. Looks like your laptop has some general issue running the game.

Maybe you can tinker with your settings a bit and find a combination that works. Maybe you need to take a look whether your drivers are up to date or something.

Sorry, but there is nothing I can do about that I am afraid.

Breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Barto » Wed May 13, 2020 12:50 pm

This really looks like either a buggy GPU driver, or a your GPU is starting to die.

To rule out the second case, make sure your driver is up to date, and even maybe your BIOS is to its last version (risky operation, I know, I'm not even daring to do that myself). Make sure that no conflict may occur between an integrated GPU and the discrete GPU (if there's any). On windows you can force which GPU to run a game on. On Linux you have bumblebee that can maybe save your day.

I also wonder if you have similar issues in other games. Don't hesitate to try with Unvanquished or run the unigine or furmark benchmarks and see if something goes wrong (make sure you dont melt your machine in the process, that'd not help). In both cases, try to set the renderer to OpenGL since this is what the game here uses.

If none of that works, I'd consider it is a hardware failure and use the warranty.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby paulbanks » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:52 am

I really like your map. And I hope all issues with it were fixed already.
paulbanks
Newcomer

Previous

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel