With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Let's face it, SG could sure use some talented modellers.

Moderator: Joe Kari

Some guideline

Postby ==diop » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi,

i would really like to remake the hands and guns but before i start it would be nice to know polycount and other limits, generally about modelling for quake3. Is it possible to export from max9 etc. ?

All i can find about this, are dead links.
==diop
Drifter

Postby Breli » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:43 pm

Hi ==diop and welcome to the forums 8)

Good to hear that you are interested in making SG an even better game! Concerning your question: we really don't know since we don't know yet where this game will go from here. We are off to a fresh start now. However, no decisions have been made about next directions which might have an influence on questions such as yours.

That being said, performance was always an issue for SG. On the one hand, the current engine isn't really efficient (sometimes even buggy). On the other hand, the players as well as their rigs are a tad older than the average gamer base you'll find out there :lol: ...

So, from a performance perspective you should keep things on a reasonable level of detail. Concerning your other questions: I am sure Joe and EvilFutsin or Leon will jump in here ;)

Cheers

Breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:22 pm

Breli is dead on about that, but also, take a look at the current hands and see what their polycount is. Then make the new one better... of course, how much better is the question.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:59 pm

Well, the main thing I noticed is that pushing the skins up into the 512x512 range caused some issues with the FPS (though thankfully the planned engine changes and addition of VBO will probably help this), which I'm not sure if there's a solution I should have looked into, like turning them from .tga to .jpg or something.

So if you're going to do something like that for skinning the guns and the hands, I just warn ya at first - do a lot of r_speed tests to figure out how much of an enhancement it is vs. the FPS drop. :) But granted, the hands could be improved by just adding about 100 primitives or so. Same with the guns. They're so low detail, we don't need'em changed too much to make them look better. :lol:

(sidenote: in time, I hope SG can support having low-res and hi-res on the client side, allowing the player to choose if they want better textures & models or not, based on their hardware)

Anyway. GREAT to see some interest here so quickly! Quite a surprise! :D Best of luck in your endeavors I say and if I can help in any way, I'll try to. :)
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:18 pm

which I'm not sure if there's a solution I should have looked into, like turning them from .tga to .jpg or something.

After a texture is loaded, there is absolutely no difference between tga or jpeg, except than some tga can have an alpha channel.

The FPS drop should come from something like this:
- the new 512x512 skin use too much memory, and some texture are stored in RAM instead of VRAM
- the shader used for thoses textures don't allow mipmapping

Yes, that would be great if users could choose the model quality ;)

@ ==diop :
Welcome to the forum ;)
Well, I have never dealt with animated models, and the original authors are far away...
Sorry, but you will have to find most of answer by yourself...
I'm sure it's possible to export with Gmax or something like that, but that's not the software I use for modeling (mine has still not good support for md3 animation).

About the polycount, it will be very hard to add poly to weapon, since they already have plenty... The remington58 have 1039 tris for example. Note that weapon you have in hand are more detailed, than weapon in other's hand, and weapon droped on the ground.
So if you are gonna try to make new weapon models, like Futsin said: check frequently your r_speed ;)

About the hands model, that's right that they could be more realistic at very low cost, especially the arm part.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby ==diop » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:28 am

Thank you all for the replies.
I started the colt navy, hope i can get the model into q3 easy and painless.
==diop
Drifter

Postby ChainLightnin' » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:07 am

Cool, I have a real (Pietta replica) Colt Navy. Colt considered it their masterpiece of form and balance at the time.
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Return to Modelling & Animation

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel