With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Let's face it, SG could sure use some talented modellers.

Moderator: Joe Kari

Resources

Postby RailedRobin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:02 pm

Howdy!
Since I've recently gotten interested in 3d-modeling, I thought I should share the different resources I've found on the subject, so that more people can get interested and get a clue as what to do.

Programs

Free modelers usefull for modeling A 3Dnow forum post with a lot of different programs.

AC3D Trial. Really simple program, good for beginners. No md3 support (md3 being the format of SG models.) and no ability to animate. You'd have to export your models into 3Ds max of similar when you're done.

CharacterFX Animation program where you create a skeleton for the model and use it to animate.
Here's a tutorial

Milkshape Q3A tutorial A small starter tutorial, concentrating on Tags.Character Shop Trial. Ready made animations, just assing the model and the program will do the rest. Don't know how usefull this is when dealing with MD3 Models.

Blender Free and really powerful program.

Tutorials and guidelines

Lightsaber crafting Even though it deals with SciFi, this tutorial is good since it will help you get around in Gmax, using Tags (necessary for MD3 Models) and how to skin your models.

Understanding MD3 Models Originally meant for StarLogo TNG, but there's some really good information when it comes to MD3 Models, their animation and vertices.

The Bear Simple tutorial of a MD3 Model, made in Gmax or 3Ds Max.

AC3D character tutorial

Character creation Once again in Gmax or 3Ds Max, but the concept works in whichever program you're using.

Blender tutorials

Well, that's about it for now.
Personally I'm using AC3D to learn this, mainly because it's interface is much easier to use and understand than Gmax, but I think I will have to switch to Gmax later on, when I'm more comfortable and when I want to make real MD3s.
Last edited by RailedRobin on Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A bullet may have your name on it, but dynamite is addressed "to whom it may concern."
RailedRobin
Quick Draw

Postby /dev/random » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:35 pm

Where's blender in that list? Google for your favourite tutorial ;)
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby RailedRobin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:40 pm

/dev/random wrote:Where's blender in that list? Google for your favourite tutorial ;)

Fix'd :wink:
Added Blender to the programs and turorials list.

Does Blender support MD3?
A bullet may have your name on it, but dynamite is addressed "to whom it may concern."
RailedRobin
Quick Draw

Postby /dev/random » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:30 pm

There are some scripts to directly export into md3. Ask vIiRuS, he has a working one.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Lucky Bro » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:22 pm

Very old tutorial to export from blender to MD3:
tutorial
But seems they have done exporting since then, so should be fine.

Great topic RailedRobin!
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Return to Modelling & Animation

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel