With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Let's face it, SG could sure use some talented modellers.

Moderator: Joe Kari

Postby Allied » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:14 pm

I don't know how to add new weapons, but my preferred method of testing new models with any game is to replace the model of an existing method.

I'd probably try replacing the Sharps, it's single shot too.

Lovely looking model, btw - excellent work!
Allied
Quick Draw

Postby ChainLightnin' » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:10 pm

@ steve: IMO the game can sure use good modelers and animators and cool work like this! I was thinking one of the dev team would pick up on this :) . I know this work is different than mapping, and guys are crankin' out great maps!
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:17 pm

I picked up on it, I just have no idea how to UV map, texture, animate, and insert a new weapon into the game. I have done some minor texturing ( minor attempt, epic fail) and I had plenty of replacement models in VQ3. If you get the model animated and UV mapped, you could do what Allied said, replace the sharps with your new model for testing.

I have had this page bookmarked for some time. I was hoping to get to try this but it always gets pushed to the back of the projects list:
http://www.jaquays.com/gameart/model_resources.html

Pardner
SG Team

Postby gunner joe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:19 am

Help me animating problem when i animate a hammer hiting a blackpoweder it just fals apart and hammer fals down how to fix it :| ??
♥♥Sweet smell of smokin guns!♥♥
gunner joe
Drifter

Postby steve » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:29 am

Thanks for the reply's chaps.

Aye, I was in the same boat as far as getting most of my models into games is concerned, open up the game model file/decompile it and replace the original weapon mesh with my own.

The issue with doing this is with the current king of quake3 animated model formats - MD3. It uses... I think the term is morph targets? To animate a model, rather then the super duper skeletal animation system. Because of this it is nigh on impossible to simply open up a model and replace the weapon mesh (unless I had the time to manually replace the mesh and rotate/manipulate it for EVERY SINGLE FRAME).

If I had access to the original bipeds/animations for the current weapons (model editor files containing skeletal animations before morph target/md3 export) I could hack this into it.

On another topic entirely - I've nearly added another exporter to the .md4 toolchain (an ioquake3 supported skeletal format) for the low-poly modeler Milkshape3D. This should allow EASY PEASY creation of this awesome skeletal animation format.
Last edited by steve on Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Pistolero

Postby Tequila » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:40 am

steve wrote:Thanks for the reply's chaps.

Aye, I was in the same boat as far as getting most of my models into games is concerned, open up the game model file/decompile it and replace the original weapon mesh with my own.

The issue with doing this is with the current king of quake3 animated model formats - MD3. It uses... I think the term is morph targets? To animate a model, rather then the super duper skeletal animation system. Because of this it is nigh on impossible to simply open up a model and replace the weapon mesh (unless I had the time to manually replace the mesh and rotate/manipulate it for EVERY SINGLE FRAME).

If I had access to the original bipeds/animations for the current weapons (model editor files containing skeletal animations before morph target/md3 export) I could hack this into it.

On another topic entirely - I've nearly added another exporter to the toolchain for the md4 (an ioquake3 supported skeletal format) for the low-poly modeler Milkshape3D. This should allow EASY PEASY creation of this awesome skeletal animation format.

8O
Let say if you provide animated models in MD4 format supported by ioQ3 engine we will try to add support for your models ! This can really be a really big enhancement for our loved game ;)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby steve » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:47 am

Sorry for the lack of progress on the md4 topic, seems the rendering code was not quite finished (issues rendering models with multiple surfaces). Don't have quite enough time to look at the problem myself right now.
steve
Pistolero

Previous

Return to Modelling & Animation

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel