With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Let's face it, SG could sure use some talented modellers.

Moderator: Joe Kari

3DS MAX

Postby Recon03 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:11 am

I use 3DS max, I been in school for a few years for game design and used maya and 3ds MAX going on 4 years now, never used Blender.

My question is are you able to use models from 3DS max, I hear importing the models to blender sometimes works , but I got mixed answers never tried , so was wondering if we have to use blender if anyone has used 3ds max or maya and tried this.

I don't really wanna use blender as 3ds max is what I been using plus I have it already so I really don't wanna use a free program when I get a better one .

Any input would be great by the way i'm new here and this is the first good western game I have seen period, i'm into western games and been messing around with making my own when I came across this, so making levels and such would be a blast for me here.
Recon03
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:22 pm

I am 99% sure you can use 3DMax. I think the original models were made in 3DMax and I think the Quake III models were as well. Just make sure you find a quake3arena .md3 exporter.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Recon03 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Nice this makes me a happy person. Now to get started on some maps. Thanks for the fast reply.
Recon03
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:36 am

Recon03 wrote:Now to get started on some maps.

Maps are not created using a modeling software. The software is *similar*, but not the same. There may be a way out there to convert 3DMax files into a q3a .map file. 3DMax is used to create weapons, player, and map objects.

If you want to create maps, take at look at this tutorial
viewtopic.php?t=1491
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:23 am

Pardner wrote:Maps are not created using a modeling software.

Radiant is required to insert entities & what-not, but afaik anything consisting of geometry & textures could be produced with modeling software. There is a Q3 mapper (Donkey) who uses Blender for much of his level design process. Look under Tutorials at his website.

Welcome to the forum Recon03. How are you with animation? If you ever get an itch to produce higher poly player models let me know & I'll provide some source materials. (It's been on our wish list since 2005.) But quality maps are always welcome too.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Hhmmm... well I guess I should have said "**Most** Maps are not created using a modeling software." :D

If you do use 3DMax for creating maps, just remember that **most** mappers here use GTK Radiant for the maps.

Definitely keep us posted about your work, and feel free to post any questions you might have.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Recon03 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:39 pm

Pardner wrote:
Recon03 wrote:Now to get started on some maps.

Maps are not created using a modeling software. The software is *similar*, but not the same. There may be a way out there to convert 3DMax files into a q3a .map file. 3DMax is used to create weapons, player, and map objects.

If you want to create maps, take at look at this tutorial
viewtopic.php?t=1491

excuse me, I know as I used it for many years, sorry I should of worded it properly, sorry for the confusion .

I have made many towns, weapons, etc, I own 3DS max. The purpose of this was to be able to import this into the game. Models, etc.

Thanks for correcting me though.

I'm ok with animation I 'm in school and in my 3rd class for animation now, and learning alot, I hope to be better in the coming months.

I do make alot of scenes for now. A friend of mine plan to make , maps,levels, etc, I will model he plans to make the textures.

I will mess with animation and keep you posted. Please sent me some source material, so I can get started atleast.
Recon03
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:52 pm

Recon03 wrote:excuse me, I know as I used it for many years, sorry I should of worded it properly, sorry for the confusion.

I have made many towns, weapons, etc, I own 3DS max. The purpose of this was to be able to import this into the game. Models, etc.

:D Sometimes its just easier for me to say "use this instead of that" rather than do into detail (I probably should have used **most** somethere in that post). I would love to see some of your work... and definitely post screens of any SG related work too!!
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Recon03 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:07 am

No worries, sometimes I forget old age does that .. :)
Recon03
Drifter

Return to Modelling & Animation

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel