With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
The place for eye candy.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Coup'George

new character "the Rev"

Postby -]DES[- Player_3 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:03 am

I could not figure out if this should go in "Modeling" or "Textures" :?

well I thought it may be cool to make a Reverend for a character, and we already have the right models for it, I would just need to make new Textures. though I need to take male2's head and put it on male1's body. :lol:

I bet this looks REALLY unprofessional :? ...
now in the end it would be nice if we could some how take that cigarette out of his mouth :D
-]DES[- Player_3
Quick Draw

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:36 am

As far as I know, switching heads would mean we'd have to name it as if it were a new model. By doing that, I figure the animations would no longer work.
It's too bad we can't seem to find an animator. :(
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:01 am

Hey, nice work!

Although a tip, best place for photos of your skin? wq_tillian. VERY bright map with tons of possibilities to get all the work to shine nicely. 8)
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby -]DES[- Player_3 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:51 pm

EvilFutsin wrote:Hey, nice work!

Although a tip, best place for photos of your skin? wq_tillian. VERY bright map with tons of possibilities to get all the work to shine nicely. 8)

thanks man, I will go there next time :)

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:As far as I know, switching heads would mean we'd have to name it as if it were a new model. By doing that, I figure the animations would no longer work.
It's too bad we can't seem to find an animator.

really? I don't know much about modeling and animation, but it looks like all the models use the same animations. like there is some kind of skeleton that all the models are made around. so it almost looks like you don't need any new animations... then again. :?
-]DES[- Player_3
Quick Draw

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:07 am

I'm not really sure either, but I guess I'm trying to say the "new" model would have to have the existing animations assigned to it? (If that would work.) I really don't know.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby vIiRuS » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:30 pm

Hi
I actually only can talk for wop.... but as its the same engine its probably the same... ;)

the animations of the characters a noted in a special file (for example that frame 1 to 5 is walking and stuff like that).... so if this is like global for every character it is probably possible to use other heads. I think you just have to assign the .md3 of the other head in the .skin file...
As I didnt edit characters for a time now im not quite sure about the names of the files and stuff like that..... but i could check it tomorrow if you want me to ;)
vIiRuS
SG Contributor

Postby -]DES[- Player_3 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:36 pm

vIiRuS wrote:but i could check it tomorrow if you want me to ;)

yeah that would be great man :P I will do some checking myself. in Medal of Honor:Spearhead, it was really easy to make a new skin, all you needed to do was make this file that had the name of the character, paths to the models, and paths to the textures and then, "Tada!" new skin. and I thought MOH used the Q3 engine. could be wrong though...
-]DES[- Player_3
Quick Draw

Postby vIiRuS » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:42 pm

okay.... unfortunately it doesnt work the way i thought....
cause only the texture is defined in the .skin file :(
But you actually should be able to change the heads (just not without copying model files) as the heads don't have any animations (as far as i know they normaly dont have any)..... the only thing that yould be a problem is that the head doesnt fit perfect....

As wanted in the other thread here is an explanation on how you (hopefully) can add additional textures)
but you can create a new texture without having to copy the models or something like that.
just open the sg_pak0.pk3 file and go to /models/wq3_players and open the folder of the character you edited.
you will find some .skin files in there.
choose one of each .skin files with the prefixes head_, upper_ and lower_
you skins probably have similar names....
you have to copy the .skin files in your own .pk3 (hope you know how to create that one...)
and now you have to rename the .skin files. the prefix has to stay but choose an other name like head_meine.skin. you have to do the same thing with your textures as you dont want to replace the original ones.
After you done that open each.skin file and change the names of the textures in there.
p.e.
u_torso,models/wq3_players/wq_male2/wq_male2_upper_blue.tga
to
u_torso,models/wq3_players/wq_male2/wq_male2_upper_mine.tga

but the name of the texture actually doesnt matter... just has to be the same in the .skin file
now you have to copy your .pk3 in to the other .pk3 files
hopefully the skin works now ;)

I'm not sure if this really works as i don't have any textures to test it with...
also i hope that this isnt confusing.... ;)
vIiRuS
SG Contributor

Postby -]DES[- Player_3 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:58 pm

yep I have a way to make new .pk3 files. :P
no thats not confusing. :lol:

Thank you veary much vIiRuS. I will give this a shot. :D
-]DES[- Player_3
Quick Draw

Postby vIiRuS » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:12 am

let me know if it works... ;)
maybe I could rewrite it and make it more detailed so it can be added to the tutorials list.... or what do the admins think of that? :D

and if it doesnt work.... you could also send me a pm with the textures and I'll take a look ;)
vIiRuS
SG Contributor

Postby -]DES[- Player_3 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:44 pm

ok, I added a new folder to the sg_pak0.pk3 folder and called it wq_male4, then added the skin files the models and the textures and used some other models Icon. so here he is :D

Image yeah it looks like his head is off, and I couldn't seem to set the bots to use this model, other than that I think it all worked out.
-]DES[- Player_3
Quick Draw

Postby vIiRuS » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:50 pm

Jeah.. As i already mentionend there can be problems with the size and stuff liek that.. to bad :/
but looks quite funny :D

You probably have to add some other files or edit a file so that bots use this model...

€: okay.... already found it :D
check the scripts folder in the pak0.pk3 there is a bots.txt in there.
just copy this file to your .pk3 and edit it.
you have to add an entry with a different name (not necessary but then the bots also are called Reverent) and have to add your model. just leave the AI file as otherwise you would have to write one (should work with one of the normal ones)

heres an example on how the entry could look like:

{

name the Reverent

model wq_male4/red

aifile bots/male1_c.c

}

hope this works.. ;)
vIiRuS
SG Contributor

Postby /dev/random » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:25 pm

No! Don't edit or overwrite existing files.
Create your own botfile a la scripts/wq3bots/mybot.bot
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ChainLightnin' » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:21 pm

It takes up drive space, but I made a copy of my game so I could try characters without goofing up my good one. This one is a new head model and skin on Jane's bod, just replaced in the pk3. It plays fine. The other players run away seeing Lone Wadie in womens cloths. Look out Cool Hand!
[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/589_wadi2_2.jpg][timg]589_wadi2_2.jpg[/timg][/thumb]
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Re: new character "the Rev"

Postby Itchy Finger » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:01 pm

So if when these new models are put in the game or downloaded is it true that you cant play online??? Is that why people have copies of smokin' guns?, so they don't mess up there good one? lol, cause you guys' models and stuff look great and it kinda sucks that there are consequences. :cry:
Last edited by Itchy Finger on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
An Itchy Finger is An Itchy Trigger :)
Itchy Finger
Drifter

Next

Return to Texture Artists

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel