With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Vote-scramble, delayed round-start, Last Man Standing?

Postby MisterX » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:56 pm

A few suggestions :)

-Being able to vote for "scrambling" the teams could be a great addition. If the vote passes, the teams would get mixed up before the next round starts, to even the odds when the teams are unbalanced. Maybe it shouldn't be random, so that for example the players with the highest scores would be in opposing teams.
I've found that several times when playing online, the teams are simply unbalanced because the "skill" of the players varies so much. But oftentimes the players hesitate to change teams, or the player numbers are actually balanced, which makes a manual balance rather hard.

-As grenadier mentioned on IRC, you often have to wait during the very first round of a map, for example in Bank Robbery or Round Team-Deathmatch, if you don't join a team very quickly. One idea is that every player automatically joins a team when the map starts, but I think it might be better if the start of the first round is simply delayed a bit.

-Inane mentioned this on the TIGSource forums: A Last Man Standing/Survival game mode. This would basically be Round Deathmatch, meaning that whoever dies in a round remains dead until the next one, and the last player still alive wins. I think this would be pretty cool, as it would start out as normal deathmatch but everybody has to be more careful, and in the end it would boil down to a duel :)
MisterX
Pistolero

Postby Pardner » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:37 pm

I love those ideas. I like the scramble idea. I always thought it would be cool to make a "team maker" mod, but having a vote to do it would be pretty cool too!

Pardner
SG Team

Postby mugenmidget » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:10 am

Yeah, the only thing I can think of that's close to trying some automatic balance are these two cvars:

g_teamAutoJoin

Default: "0"

Description: (0, 1) Forces a player to join smallest or losing
team.

g_teamForceBalance

Default: "0"

Description: (0, 1) Forces a new player to the smallest team.

And those aren't effective all the time for reasons you've already mentioned

I think it'd be super neat to have a cvar to scramble teams after every round (instead of voting for it). I notice that some people tend to take the game way too seriously. That's fine if you're holding a tournament, but it would be fun to have a mode where there's no commitment and you get a fresh team every time.

Regardless, I love your ideas, and I hope some form of team scrambling is implemented.
mugenmidget
Drifter

Postby DeUgli » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:31 am

mugenmidget wrote: I notice that some people tend to take the game way too seriously. That's fine if you're holding a tournament, but it would be fun to have a mode where there's no commitment and you get a fresh team every time.
Yes, nothing like having someone decide he's El Generalissimo and start giving orders in a pickup game. A shuffle would be handy in those cases.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby nraven » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:25 pm

I think the common term is "team shuffle" from ET etc.. And I very much agree that it would be a great addition. Well I also agree on the rest heh, although I'm not sure I would personally care much for a LMS mode. ;)
nraven
Drifter

Postby MisterX » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:28 am

I forgot something important: Chat messages need to stay on the screen for a longer time :) If you don't pay much attention to the chat, like, say, when you're in a firefight, you will very easily miss most messages. Especially if somebody writes a few lines in chat it's nearly impossible to read it all. I got used to using the console (press ^ to open it) as sort of a chatlog, but I don't think many do that.
MisterX
Pistolero

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:33 am

MisterX wrote:I got used to using the console (press ~ to open it) as sort of a chatlog, but I don't think many do that.

Me too, but very good point & I agree chat messages should stay longer.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:00 am

Could try setting con_notifytime to 5 or something if you like.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel