With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

How can one to install Smokin' Gun on Ubuntu 8.10 ?

Postby Alexcostariha » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:25 am

Can anybody help me please? I am beginninger at linux. I tried to install this game on Ubuntu. I read this post http://nousessence.com/node/1257#comment-85.
I did exactly as there was written without any success. I wrote at that post my comments with my troubles. Thank you.
Alexcostariha
Drifter

Postby /dev/random » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:06 am

I think a simple
Code: Select all
unzip Smokin_Guns_1.0.zip

will do the job. Anyways, it also worked using the default archive manager of Ubuntu, at least for me ;)
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby CoolHand » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:29 am

/dev/random wrote:I think a simple
Code: Select all
unzip Smokin_Guns_1.0.zip

will do the job. Anyways, it also worked using the default archive manager of Ubuntu, at least for me ;)

Once you have it unzipped, you'll need to execute the smokinguns.x86 file
CoolHand
Pistolero

Postby Tequila » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:49 am

You should also check smokinguns.x86 is set "executable", try to look at the properties of this file with your file browser or you can also just try "chmod +x smokinguns.x86" in a terminal.

Btw, can you try to start the game from a terminal an report us the output ? We should better understand your problem with such an output.
Tequila
SG Team

my output

Postby Alexcostariha » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:23 pm

You can see my output here Output for Ubuntu_ Error It is so big, if I made somrthing wrong and you cannot see it give me know please. I couldn't write earlier from reinstalling my Ubuntu.
Making "unzip" don't remove smokinguns.x86 file to new SmokinGuns folder, I made this by hand. As I see compared with Windows Vista unzipping don't unzip all files but only main files.
I did it ! I don't know exactly how. I copied unpacked SmokinGuns folder from Windows Vista and replaced ones at Ubuntu. Then I made what it was written at http://nousessence.com/node/1257 once more. I made it because at first the file smokinguns.x86 didn't worked. I don't know exactly how but it works.
As I can see compared with Vista the picture is more bright, but engine works very hard and make many noises. The FireFox must be turned off during the game . I have laptop by the way and I am afraid for its breaking when the game is going on.
I don't know the command for unzipping files at Ubuntu one by one how Vista did with ones and binary files was kept also.
Alexcostariha
Drifter

Postby HomeSlice » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:56 am

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't see that you figured it out.
HomeSlice
Drifter

Postby Tequila » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:19 am

Hi, you seem to have forgotten to unzip or copy few files. In your log, we don't see the loading of "sg_pak0.pk3", "sg_sounds.pk3" and "sg_textures0.pk3" from the "smokinguns" folder.
You should find them in your Vista installation folder, then copy them to your "/home/andbons/SmokinGuns/smokinguns" linux folder.
Also, it seems the engine is well detecting graphic card and openal sound, so everything should work after the 3 missing files copy.
Next try should by the good one ;)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:46 pm

...loading opengl32: QGL_Init: Can't load opengl32 from /etc/ld.so.conf: opengl32: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Are you sure you have the propertiary driver for your graphics card? Ubuntu should tell you that there is one. Activate it and reboot afterwards.

You might have to disable compiz while playing. At least for me compiz won't work well with any fullsreen application or game.

You can adjust brightness in-game. If your laptop is very loud, Ubuntu might not be able to control you laptop's fans correctly. Don't worry about that, your laptop might be a bit louder, but it won't get damaged that way.

In general, you won't be able to damage your laptop just by running games. It might freeze, but after a reboot everything will work as before.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Tequila » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:54 pm

But just after he's loading libGL.so... which is from the installed proprietary Nvidia driver so he doesn't really have to care about Ubuntu opengl32 library. Let him start the game with all the PK3 and we will see what's happen...
Tequila
SG Team

It works and it is enough

Postby Alexcostariha » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:35 pm

Thank you Tequila and those who answered at my question. When I was explaining my problem I really could work it out. I decided to remain the game as it is at present at my computer. As I wrote I take folder for this game which was unpacked by Windows Vista. I tried the game once more and it works well and the engine doesn't make too many noise. May be my maсhine is already used, to this game. :roll:
Thank you very much, Alex.
Alexcostariha
Drifter

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel