With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Postby -]DES[- Player_3 » Wed May 13, 2009 7:51 pm

I think having iron-sights/"zooming in" with a pistol or a rifle would be awesome.

I think some of you guys are forgetting something about the shotguns... they are shotguns, they do damage... they hurt... why in the world would you turn down the damage on them?

this just came out of the blue and I don't think it would happen anytime soon, but has anyone ever thought of having a broken beer bottle as a melee weapon? not to replace the knife, but just a new weapon.
-]DES[- Player_3
Quick Draw

Postby Kouma » Thu May 14, 2009 2:15 am

If all the ideas in this post were added to game, installation file size would jump from 300mb to 600... :|
I am Kouma and this is my shotgun. Togheter, we blow your head clean off.
Kouma
Shootist

Postby sparcdr » Thu May 14, 2009 11:23 pm

[sarcasm]
Not true! We could always draw everything as a wireframe and fit it on 3 high density 3 1/2" floppy diskettes for the painful viewing pleasure of IBM Personal System/2 and Amiga 4000 owners everywhere! Though we'd have to restrict sound quality to beeps and clicks and would require payments be made in shiny stones, oh and you'd have to play demos against yourself after rendering them to your 4200RPM disk at 12kb/s for 36 hours, "utilizing" $16 in electricity in the process.
[/sarcasm]
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby DeUgli » Fri May 15, 2009 1:13 am

sparcdr wrote:We could always draw everything as a wireframe and fit it on 3 high density 3 1/2" floppy diskettes for the painful viewing pleasure of IBM Personal System/2 and Amiga 4000 owners everywhere!
Hey, that's great! I still have my Amiga 2000. Maybe you can include that in your backward compatibility. Thanks for volunteering to do this, sparcdr. :)
Irgendeiner wartet immer.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby sparcdr » Fri May 15, 2009 2:57 am

Yeah... though I'm not sure how effective my drawing would be. One can wonder what we as humans will do in 100 years when the politicians continue to prevent us from using actually viable energy processes (IE: Nuclear, Hydrogen on a large scale)

Personally I'm glad that I won't be around in 2100 AD, suspect cave dwelling and mud slinging will assume their original definition at that time.

In seriousness, it could be done, people do the Matrix in JavaScript and in moving ASCII text files (Like a flip book), why couldn't a very archaic physics engine not handle collision detection and hit points on a paltry 8-25mhz machine, if done in monochrome using paged memory?

:)
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Fri May 15, 2009 10:37 am

:D
Maybe you missed that good vi-oquake3 joke...
Tequila
SG Team

Postby AlbertoSAA » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm

I think it would be a nice idea if the Colts SAA had their prices increased. Also, the double-barrelled shotguns being more expensive seems a nice idea. I love to use the Winchester 66 "Yellow Boy", and I after some practice the results are good enough for the price, at least for my level (begginner +). I like to figure what weapons I would add to the game, if I could. There is such a variety... for instance, a player could begin the game with a cheap long-weapon. Maybe something like the Ferguson Rifle, one shot and slow to reload... Or even a Civil War era musket.

Accordingly to the first post, I too think the scope should come auto with the sharps, or there ought to be another scope-attachable rifle. Maybe the Col Revolving Rifle, almost as precise, causing less damage but with a considerable rate of fire (6 shots). Of course it would have to be cartridge converted. I read somewhere that Bertrams sharpshooters came to be armed with these rifles once, so they could be good for sharpshooting.

Anyway, these is a nice field for adding new guns and things... in imagination. And I think every SG player would like to have some new weapons available when SG makes some changes.
AlbertoSAA
Drifter

Postby AlbertoSAA » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:05 pm

-]DES[- Player_3 wrote:this just came out of the blue and I don't think it would happen anytime soon, but has anyone ever thought of having a broken beer bottle as a melee weapon? not to replace the knife, but just a new weapon.

Yeah, something to add would be some weapons this kind. I have thought of a lot of things, when I have nothing to do and can't play SG... Tomahawks would be nice, wouldn't it? And there should be bayonets, to be bought separately and attached to some rifles (like the scope). If actually every player began with a musket of a ferguson rifle, a bayonet could be attached to this kind of gun. Even to the sharps rifle... then right button would use the bayonet and left would shoot. perhaps it would be nice.
AlbertoSAA
Drifter

Postby moRtem » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:53 pm

AlbertoSAA wrote:And I think every SG player would like to have some new weapons available when SG makes some changes.

I'd prefer that the current weapon-balance would be fixed first before adding new weapons.

The more weapons we have, the more complex the whole weapon-system gets.

So let's fix the current set first, please.

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby AlbertoSAA » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:12 am

moRtem wrote:I'd prefer that the current weapon-balance would be fixed first before adding new weapons.

The more weapons we have, the more complex the whole weapon-system gets.

So let's fix the current set first, please.

/quit

Well, as I said, I was only suggesting. There's no problem with that, and of course I do realize its impossible to make some miracles... But the game is very fine the way it is, and that's enough bye now. :D
AlbertoSAA
Drifter

Postby Holliday DDS » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:01 am

Just thought I'd leave my two cents on here also.
I think the prices are fine
I'd like to see less range on the pistols (that would force people who want to "pick people off" use a rifle)
As far as new weapons go, I agree with moRtem. We need to fix what we have first.
Although, I'll have to say I do like the idea of the bayonet. You could even add a secondary fire to the rifles that uses the butt of the gun to hit your enemy in close quarters. Maybe either of these would make rifles more appealing.
Holliday DDS
Drifter

Another random off-the-wall suggestion

Postby ltmon » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:26 am

Another random, off-the-wall suggestion,

Would adding a secondary fire to the two lesser rifles that activated an iron-sights mode be a good addition?

Essentially the same code as the scoped sharps, but you get less (or no) zoom.

The effect would be increased accuracy, slowed movement, possibly slowed rate of fire, reduced FOV -- almost the same as the scope but not as accurate. Without using the iron sights, a rifle would be no more accurate than a pistol.

For less labor intensive changes, I personally support a lowering of pistol range and possibly minor (*minor*) changes to spread to favour rifles more.

Cheers,

L.
ltmon
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:56 am

I hate to be a party pooper, but unless a talented modeller/animator steps forward nothing associated with such tasks can happen. It's great to dream but we don't have anyone at the present who is able to contribute towards many of the ideas presented in this thread. I have no doubt that our talented coders could make it happen if we only had the building blocks.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ltmon » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:17 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:I hate to be a party pooper, but unless a talented modeller/animator steps forward nothing associated with such tasks can happen. It's great to dream but we don't have anyone at the present who is able to contribute towards many of the ideas presented in this thread. I have no doubt that our talented coders could make it happen if we only had the building blocks.

Oh I didn't expect it to be as easy as that of course :)

I take it from this reply that an iron sights alt-fire would require further modelling, textures and animation beyond just moving the base rifle model around relative to the camera (which is kind of what I was thinking, but I know nearly nothing of q3 development)?
ltmon
Drifter

Postby Holliday DDS » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:45 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:I hate to be a party pooper, but unless a talented modeller/animator steps forward nothing associated with such tasks can happen. It's great to dream but we don't have anyone at the present who is able to contribute towards many of the ideas presented in this thread. I have no doubt that our talented coders could make it happen if we only had the building blocks.

If I knew anything about modeling, I would try to contribute. Sadly I don't. I know that alot of things that I suggest, I'm really not sure of what all goes into changing those things. I am, however, learning alot more of what "goes into" the game thanks to replies like yours. Also, tequilla's and Pardner's replies have been very useful and informative. Maybe sometime in the future I can lend something to the project. :)
Holliday DDS
Drifter

PreviousNext

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel